My "almost" record tonight for my longest wait before pickup...almost 30 minutes.

Young Kim

Had a pax come out when I got to pickup location (a friend's house) ask me to wait a few minutes for him. I said OK. After the timer hit down to cancellation period (a total of 5 minutes), I called him. He again asked me to wait, and said, "Please don't cancel, I'll make sure to pay you cash for being so polite and patient with me!" He asked very nicely, but was quite drunk. After a few more minutes, I called again. He came out and handed me 5 singles and said, "Here is something, and I promise to take of you much more if you wait." I have incredible patience for people... so I waited...and waited...and waited. He called me every 5 minutes to make sure I was still there. After almost 30 minutes of total waiting, he came out with two women. (This was my second longest wait ever).

After they got in the car, he started arguing with one of the women about going to another bar. She said "No! The late night bars are all closed due to coronavirus!" And they argued in the car for several more minutes, and she stormed out. He asked me to wait again and chased after her as she walked on the sidewalk by a park. They argued for a few more minutes, and then got into the car. He stopped by a gas station on the way, and asked me to wait again. I think he was buying lottery tickets... He came in and asked, "How much should I give you for being so nice to me?"

I answered back, "Whatever you feel you wish to give, I'll accept with happiness." He opened his wallet and gave me another $35. So total of $40 for my patience. I waited all told probably about 35 minutes (at his house before pickup, at the park, and at the gas station), so I guess patience paid off in this case. I was worried though... things could have turned out very differently, and then my account of happened tonight would have used very different wording. If he wasn't so pleasant with me, I would not have waited for him.

(screenshot after 20 minutes of waiting)

F727E7CE-B756-4F70-A9D9-1B3CBB4CF542.jpeg

Valar Dohaeris

I'm gone at 5:01 after collecting my education fee.

This is a business for me, not community service.

You work in the most dangerous city in America IMHO.......keep that up and one day your postings here will suddenly stop.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kim made $40 cash for not moving his vehicle. That is some well-paid community service!

I realize the story could have turned out differently, but Young Kim trusted his gut that Young Jacek the Vodka drinker was going to come through, and he did.

I've done "acts of kindness" before and almost all have paid off (some cash, some venmo, some on the app). Most people will pay if they know you went out of your way for them and didn't give them any attitude in the process.

mbd

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kim made $40 cash for not moving his vehicle. That is some well-paid community service!

I realize the story could have turned out differently, but Young Kim trusted his gut that Young Jacek the Vodka drinker was going to come through, and he did.

I've done "acts of kindness" before and almost all have paid off (some cash, some venmo, some on the app). Most people will pay if they know you went out of your way for them and didn't give them any attitude in the process.
Drunks routinely come through with tips, they lie less than the normal people. When a drunk needs a bottle, he will definitely lie. :thumbup:

billm

I waited 42 minutes once for one. Nashville to Louisville on Christmas Eve, later in the evening for that type of trip, 9:30 PM, and had apparently been cancelled on a number of times already as the trip showed up before the previous trip I had taken at 9:25. I had nothing better to do, it had been a slow night at $40 until that point, and my kids are grown and were not in town for that Christmas. But I did get a $100 cash tip out of it.

Mkang14

It just depends if you are prepared to handle the alternative. Which would be getting nothing.

Sometimes risk it for the biscuit.

At my job, have seen it pay positively over and over, do something nice, even when no one is watching and it will come around in a good way.

Last edited:

Valar Dohaeris

It's people like that whom we read obituaries about. I've turned down $50 cash to do that myself. They can RE-ORDER ANOTHER UBER.......dooouuhhh.

This is a business, I'm not saving the @@@@ing manatees here.
I assume Kim knows the risks and hopefully accepts the worst possible outcome, should that fateful day ever arrive.

I don't drive in a city so perhaps I'm underplaying the risk. Fair enough.

ANT 7

Last edited:

TX Uber Ant

You will eventually get bent over for doing these types of things and learn the hard way. As a rule of thumb one should never wait like this for economy rides as the per minute rate is near or less than minimum wage. Uber has created a new type ride that hires a driver by the hour. I would have canceled this ride and made the rider order the correct ride for his time management issues.

hy1368

That's probably the most stupid thread I've ever read with probably most stupid driver ever.I don't get why people still have to driver whole you can collect those easy money.

JLaw1719

I know it's an oxymoron for the very act of driving Uber, but have some self-respect if you're past the one month mark of driving.

I cringed so hard at "Whatever you feel you wish to give, I'll accept with happiness."

Yes master, no master, thank you master. He asked you a direct question so give a direct answer next time. I can assure you that you'll get bitten many more times than not with either no extra cash, a few singles or some other low ball amount for groveling while you wait for them!

Not saying this to be a jerk, but it's been clear for many years now why this gig crashed and burned with this behavior.

A few minutes max waiting and cash up front for any act that chews through your time.

LyftUberFuwabolewa

Had a pax come out when I got to pickup location (a friend's house) ask me to wait a few minutes for him. I said OK. After the timer hit down to cancellation period (a total of 5 minutes), I called him. He again asked me to wait, and said, "Please don't cancel, I'll make sure to pay you cash for being so polite and patient with me!" He asked very nicely, but was quite drunk. After a few more minutes, I called again. He came out and handed me 5 singles and said, "Here is something, and I promise to take of you much more if you wait." I have incredible patience for people... so I waited...and waited...and waited. He called me every 5 minutes to make sure I was still there. After almost 30 minutes of total waiting, he came out with two women. (This was my second longest wait ever).

After they got in the car, he started arguing with one of the women about going to another bar. She said "No! The late night bars are all closed due to coronavirus!" And they argued in the car for several more minutes, and she stormed out. He asked me to wait again and chased after her as she walked on the sidewalk by a park. They argued for a few more minutes, and then got into the car. He stopped by a gas station on the way, and asked me to wait again. I think he was buying lottery tickets... He came in and asked, "How much should I give you for being so nice to me?"

I answered back, "Whatever you feel you wish to give, I'll accept with happiness." He opened his wallet and gave me another $35. So total of $40 for my patience. I waited all told probably about 35 minutes (at his house before pickup, at the park, and at the gas station), so I guess patience paid off in this case. I was worried though... things could have turned out very differently, and then my account of happened tonight would have used very different wording. If he wasn't so pleasant with me, I would not have waited for him.

(screenshot after 20 minutes of waiting)

View attachment 498919
You posted the customers account name and the address. Uber might not be cool with that.

You spent a lot of time based on the promise of some cash. I knew a financial advisor who used to say “if you do something stupid and it works out OK, it was still stupid“.

So you got $40 plus the cancellation fee? How much money could you have made during that time?

tryingforthat5star

I had one before where I kept waiting and waiting and watching the PAX drive down the road in a car with another person I just sat there for like 15 min and kept watching her get farther farther away and racking up the cancel time lol.