• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

My Airport Ride with a Pilot

swathdiver

I had a great conversation with a pilot the other day. As Aw Jeez alluded to, he was following protocol of not driving or flying within 12 hours of drinking.

Null

The first comment sounded like he was asking you to speed up, but the second sounds like he might have been asking you to slow down.

Gilby

I had a great conversation with a pilot the other day. As Aw Jeez alluded to, he was following protocol of not driving or flying within 12 hours of drinking.
The actual regulation is no flying within eight hours of consuming alcohol. In my opinion, that is probably not enough, since going up in altitude will affect the alcohol effects on your body.

OldBay

The actual regulation is no flying within eight hours of consuming alcohol. In my opinion, that is probably not enough, since going up in altitude will affect the alcohol effects on your body.
No worries,they are pros and can handle their booze.

itendstonight

I would have done much the same as you. A 45+ is nice, and personally, I'd love to be able to have a conversation with a pilot (I'm driving Uber/Lyft to safe for flying lessons), so this would have been one I waited extra time for. Sounds like he wasn't in the mood to talk though.

Regarding speed, I generally drive either the speed limit, or with the flow of traffic. If there was enough traffic (driving faster than you were going), I'd be matching their speed. I'm not going to attract attention trying to speed a pax to his destination, so if there is nobody else going that fast, I'm not going to attract attention to myself.
Problem is when you are in the DC area and the speed limit is 55 on the beltway and interstates like 95 but everyone and their grandmother is freaking doing 80! 😲 hard to match that as someone carrying pax without looking like a reckless driver!

swathdiver

The actual regulation is no flying within eight hours of consuming alcohol.
Thanks for the information. I do distinctly remember him saying that, so maybe he was following the rules of the little airline he flew for? He pilots CRJs and a PC-12 regularly.

Problem is when you are in the DC area and the speed limit is 55 on the beltway and interstates like 95 but everyone and their grandmother is freaking doing 80! 😲 hard to match that as someone carrying pax without looking like a reckless driver!
I remember the beltway being like that in 1990 every time I passed through there during rush hour. It was like the start of a NASCAR race, bumper to bumper doing 80 mph, crazy and incredible!

itendstonight

Thanks for the information. I do distinctly remember him saying that, so maybe he was following the rules of the little airline he flew for? He pilots CRJs and a PC-12 regularly.

I remember the beltway being like that in 1990 every time I passed through there during rush hour. It was like the start of a NASCAR race, bumper to bumper doing 80 mph, crazy and incredible!
I knew a nice guy at my work who told me his son was a state trooper based out of Richmond. His son told him that he had to let people doing 80mph on I95 go so he could catch and pull over people doing 100mph!

RogueErik

Did everyone miss that if a pax of a plane was late, it would leave without them?

If he said that to me, I’d remind him of that.

Nobo

me I probably would have went right to YES I can drive slower , do you get motion sickness? do you need me to pull over so you can ride up front ? since most of my PAX with motion sickness seem to say this helps . being overly nice to rude asshats is what i live for :p

Deepscout

Tell him this:

"As the pilot in command of this motor vehicle, I am directly responsible for, and am the final authority as to, the operation of this car."

That is directly from the FARs (91.3 (a)). Should shut him up.

So I get ping this morning for a 47 minute ride. The pickup is about 6 minutes from my location. My guess was that it was to the airport.
I pulled into an upscale subdivision, and arrived to a very nice home.
One minute past my arrival, I sent him a text saying I was here.
Two minutes later, the guy comes out with a Pilot's shirt on, and wearing pajama pants. He asked me for more 2 minutes, which would take him 5 minutes past my arrive time. I knew he had no chance of coming out in 2 minutes, but then I thought "upscale neighborhood and Pilot", so I figured there was a higher probability of a tip. He ultimately came out 9 minutes after I arrived (which was 15 minutes from the original ping).
I greeted him politely, but he said nothing while he loaded his bags into the trunk.
Starting early in the ride, I can see him doing the "I'm Late for My Flight" squirm in my mirror. About three quarter of the way to the airport on the Interstate, the conversation goes like this:

Pilot: Can you possibly drive any slower??
Me: I'm doing 60. The speed limit is 55.
Pilot: Well then you better slow down then before you get caught in a speed trap.
Me: Are you in a hurry?
Pilot: Uh, yeah!

The conversation ended there, but I could have said or done a hundred things, but I kept my cool and dropped him off about 10 minutes later.
Of course when I drop him, he's not even in a hurry. He heads to the sidewalk and puts his Pilot jacket on, plays around in his luggage, etc.

When I got home, my wife said she would have either dropped him off right on the Interstate, or complied with his snotty request and drive about 45 MPH.
I called Uber Support right after the ride ended and explained what happened (including the fact that I waited 9 minutes for him at his home). Surprisingly, the support call went well. Of course I did not get a tip, and I happily 1-starred him. As of now, he either has not yet rated me or has given me a 5, because I know exactly how many non-5 ratings I have.
I completely kept my cool, but I can't wait to hear what you would have done. :smiles:
rich entitled cun deserves a one star this job blows and i have learned i will not accept low rated riders. i used to accept everyone but now it should be above 4.79 to accept. the rider must of had a low rating.
Post automatically merged:

i drove these 4 pilot students they were @@@@s and think 4 stared me. the worst are back seat drivers or those who say IT IS GREEN! NEXT TIME SOMEONE SAYS THAT I WILL SAY I AM THE DRIVER NOT YOU AND YOU ARE TELLING ME TO GO THE WRONG PLACE.

Aw Jeez

I know a lot of drivers feel that the pax should be "toes on the curb," ready for us when we arrive. In reality, that doesn't always happen - at least here in my town. People call for an Uber when they're "about" ready, and maybe there's one a lot closer than they expected. And so there's a delay. I cut them some slack and I wait. I don't get steamed and I don't hold it against them. It's called just being human. I'm not so desperate for money that I have to maximize every second of my Uber driving experience. If the passenger takes a little longer than expected or wants to stop along the way...meh- what do I care? I'm still getting paid. It's called Customer Service, and that's the business we're in.

As for speeding...well, I simply do not. I rigidly adhere to my "limit + 9" rule. Some drivers go faster; some go slower. It's not that I'm paranoid of getting a ticket. I just don't need to be the fastest guy on the freeway. Some pax do appreciate when you go fast and cut in and out of traffic, trying to get them to their destination fast! But some don't. Probably most don't. People don't want to feel like they're being endangered. They don't know that you're secretly Mario Andretti...to them, you're just some random Uber-schlub who might end up killing them.

Always, always, always err on the side of caution. In aviation we have this philosophy of "Most Conservative Response." If there are two (or more) ways of doing something, always take the most conservative option. It lessens your chances of having an accident. To make it relevant to us: A) You can make like a racecar driver and assume the passenger appreciates your mad-skillz behind the wheel. B) Or you can drive with the flow and hope they appreciate your cautious driving style. Either way, you might be wrong. Choose "A" and you might see a 1*, with Uber sending you a nice memo about safe driving. But choose "B" and you're still okay. Nobody will 1* you and complain about safety for being cautious (unless you're so timid that they feel you lack confidence and skill).

sd1303

So I get ping this morning for a 47 minute ride. The pickup is about 6 minutes from my location. My guess was that it was to the airport.
I pulled into an upscale subdivision, and arrived to a very nice home.
One minute past my arrival, I sent him a text saying I was here.
Two minutes later, the guy comes out with a Pilot's shirt on, and wearing pajama pants. He asked me for more 2 minutes, which would take him 5 minutes past my arrive time. I knew he had no chance of coming out in 2 minutes, but then I thought "upscale neighborhood and Pilot", so I figured there was a higher probability of a tip. He ultimately came out 9 minutes after I arrived (which was 15 minutes from the original ping).
I greeted him politely, but he said nothing while he loaded his bags into the trunk.
Starting early in the ride, I can see him doing the "I'm Late for My Flight" squirm in my mirror. About three quarter of the way to the airport on the Interstate, the conversation goes like this:

Pilot: Can you possibly drive any slower??
Me: I'm doing 60. The speed limit is 55.
Pilot: Well then you better slow down then before you get caught in a speed trap.
Me: Are you in a hurry?
Pilot: Uh, yeah!

The conversation ended there, but I could have said or done a hundred things, but I kept my cool and dropped him off about 10 minutes later.
Of course when I drop him, he's not even in a hurry. He heads to the sidewalk and puts his Pilot jacket on, plays around in his luggage, etc.

When I got home, my wife said she would have either dropped him off right on the Interstate, or complied with his snotty request and drive about 45 MPH.
I called Uber Support right after the ride ended and explained what happened (including the fact that I waited 9 minutes for him at his home). Surprisingly, the support call went well. Of course I did not get a tip, and I happily 1-starred him. As of now, he either has not yet rated me or has given me a 5, because I know exactly how many non-5 ratings I have.
I completely kept my cool, but I can't wait to hear what you would have done. :smiles:
No-win scenario.