My ACL Game Plan

Yankee

My operating costs are skyhigh with incredible dead miles this weekend. Dropping off at ACL and getting the heck out of there. Ain't no way I'm driving two miles from Austin High School to pick someone up only to go back down there through the traffic again! One time I left ACL and tried turning on Lyft to use their destination filter and pointed it north, and those bozos still gave me a pax nearby that was going back to ACL!

I did negotiate a smooth $20 tip for allowing some adults to bring their adult beverages in my car. Plus they would cover my costs if I got a ticket. That's the only way I'll ever let booze in my car.

That's interesting TNC! I never thought of negotiating with pax about booze in the car. I just ask them to dump it (and watch my rating get dumped along with it). As for ACL, its 5 p.m. Sunday and I'm still $100 from my goal. I usually don't need to drive on Sundays. I heard that Ride Austin is offering FREE RIDES to pax today. Ride Austin is KILLING it. I'm ready to dump Fasten for them. This ACL killed my profits.

TNCMinWage

That's interesting TNC! I never thought of negotiating with pax about booze in the car. I just ask them to dump it (and watch my rating get dumped along with it). As for ACL, its 5 p.m. Sunday and I'm still $100 from my goal. I usually don't need to drive on Sundays. I heard that Ride Austin is offering FREE RIDES to pax today. Ride Austin is KILLING it. I'm ready to dump Fasten for them. This ACL killed my profits.

Yep I tell them I'm really sorry but I'm not allowed to transport their drinks. Right when their shoulders shrug in sadness, I spring the idea on them "Tell you what, how about we make a fare deal. If you are willing to pay my ticket in the slim chance I get one, and if you leave me a good tip for taking the risk, I'll take your drinks". Of course, I wouldn't do this with kids, cause they won't stand up to that promise. But adults will. These guys happened to be lawyers but I've done it with others. Minimum $5 tip of course.

On the TNC's, RA has been the clear winner for me this weekend, Fasten has been pretty slow. Those free rides from RA are only from 70 drivers they selected to drive Honda's via their partnership for ACL. Somehow with a 4.95 after 10 months of lugging RA pax around at dirt cheap rates, I didn't get selected. Must've been the bad attitude I gave their support staff a few times when I was pre-June that they were surging much less than Fasten. I'm sure that doesn't surprise anyone on here, lol. Oh well. I heard from another driver those pax getting free rides weren't tipping which is disgusting. How cheap pax can be astonishes me.

AustinAD99

Yeah, I always have them dump the beers before getting in the car.

Have zero faith that they'd pony up for a ticket if you got one too.

If it's a open bottle, sometimes I'll let them put it in the back/trunk area and that should make it legal.

Fasten SUCKS BALLS - had a puker they only paid/charged $40 for an was told that as a contract worker my (down) time dealing with it doesn't matter. Never have driven for them again.

TNC - there are only 40 free Hondas not 70. and spread across the city.
Just drove the Hondas this weekend - has a lot of positives like not having to worry about hustling your next ride, no gas, wear n tear etc. Plus nice cars. Only $30 in tips for Fri-Sunday. But some drivers where making bank on tips - one lady made $90 in tips on Sat.

Did run 2 hours on Lyft Saturday night 10pm-12am and banked ~$130 - wish it was always like that.

TNCMinWage

If it's a open bottle, sometimes I'll let them put it in the back/trunk area and that should make it legal.

Fasten SUCKS BALLS - had a puker they only paid/charged $40 for an was told that as a contract worker my (down) time dealing with it doesn't matter. Never have driven for them again.

Just drove the Hondas this weekend - has a lot of positives like not having to worry about hustling your next ride, no gas, wear n tear etc. Plus nice cars. Only $30 in tips for Fri-Sunday. But some drivers where making bank on tips - one lady made $90 in tips on Sat.

wish it was always like that.
May want to delete that number from Saturday night lest you invite drivers from all over world here next weekend. I'll delete my post which quotes it after! I could care less how many of them come here for midnight driving since I don't do it, but other local drivers here might lose out.

Yankee

Did run 2 hours on Lyft Saturday night 10pm-12am and banked ~$130 - wish it was always like that.

I drove those same hours on Fasten last night and didn't half of that. Despite incredible boosts all over the city. I snagged one $40 fare all weekend, the rest was not as much fun. Good for you I'm glad you did well!

Recoup

...Somehow with a 4.95 after 10 months of lugging RA pax around at dirt cheap rates, I didn't get selected. Must've been the bad attitude I gave their support staff a few times when I was pre-June that they were surging much less than Fasten. I'm sure that doesn't surprise anyone on here, lol.

Actually, you might want to check your spam folder. I have all of R|A's email addresses on my "VIP NOT SPAM" list, or so I thought, but the initial emails about the promo came from an individual, and all but one went into my spam folder. I was just lucky that one got through.

Oh well. I heard from another driver those pax getting free rides weren't tipping which is disgusting. How cheap pax can be astonishes me.

Yeah, I think I know who that was, I heard him talking about it in the parking lot. I got decent tips myself--I think it was pretty variable among drivers, but it has always been my belief that tipping is heavily driver-dependent. I heard someone else was woofin' about making $100+ in tips, but I didn't see the money, if you know what I mean.

tcc83

Makes sense that tips are heavily driver dependent. I get good ratings (4.93), take people on multiple stops if it's not busy, make lots of airport runs, etc. Still 5%-10% tip rate. Thats uber so I expect a lower rate than the others but still better than that. 1 in my last 20 has tipped.

El Gato

Saw many screen shots of some good numbers from R|A on their facebook page yesterday. As I predicted too, saw some decent surge & PF yesterday just before the evening rush despite the holiday. Shortage of drivers likely as everyone was resting up.

Fellow bobcat!
Come follow us over on bobcatfans.com where we talk trash about Larry Teis and share in out woes over the direction of the athletics program. On the positive front though I do believe the Whiters will eventually right this ship...not looking good now...but none the less come share in our discussion on the forum!

Heading down to tailgate now. Eat em up cats!
Gonna see replay on WatchESPN today when I get home from work, was out of town all weekend with another gig but I did get text updates...hope the game looks better than what my score updates showed...

RickkyBobby

I thought I would share my game plan as this will be my 3rd year driving ACL rideshares.
Note: I will be driving for Fasten (and Lyft if necessary, but I doubt I will need to turn their app on to stay busy).

* start in outlying areas, the show starts at 11AM each day, ends at 10PM.
* will wait w/ app offline until price multiplies are in effect.
* Friday gets busy in the late afternoon.
* will NOT provide water/snacks for riders as I don't want to clean up their trash.
* avoid pickups from ACL/Austin High as it is hell dealing with the traffic and finding your rider, especially the "mood enhanced" riders.
* it is common for riders to want to go downtown to drink at a reasonable price after the show. this means short rides and the aforementioned problems.
* go offline after a dropoff to avoid the aforementioned problems until I can get away from the drop off area.
* my breaktime will be around the close of the show @10PM
* back online @ 1AM or earlier to scoop up the bar hoppers.
* my goal is to be in bed by 3:30AM
* have my paypal app open to pick up riders that "can't get a ride thru their app" - many will ask, get payment up front and know how far and how much to ask for based on the market price.
* tips will be minimal since riders are paying a premium already.

Your thoughts please!
Especially if you are having better luck w/ pickups from the event.

with all this thought put into it. it might be better to put that much thought getting a real job

That's already happening. A pax told me today that her last driver was in town from Houston. Based on the lack of booming business today (I drove from 2 p.m. - 8 p.m. for $80 with a 30 min break, less than $20/hr) I'd say the profits are being shared dramatically with out of towners.
With Texas playing Oklahoma this weekend will it be a bigger clusterf**** with ACL going on at the same time? Never driven UT football, is it worth it?

Recoup

With Texas playing Oklahoma this weekend will it be a bigger clusterf**** with ACL going on at the same time? Never driven UT football, is it worth it?

Suggest you start a new thread on this instead of diverting the ACL thread... I have some thoughts on UT games!

TNCMinWage

with all this thought put into it. it might be better to put that much thought getting a real job

Always a pleasure to hear from you RickkyBobby. You can't seem to move on from this forum, can you? If your trash hauling job is so great, why do you keep lurking around this rideshare forum? Perhaps you are planning a comeback once fired for failure to perform well on recycling day? I routinely see plastic bottles blowing around my driveway, perhaps you are getting a bit sloppy and can't hack it?

AustinAD99

Was going to say that the UT/OU game is always in Dallas. Sucks a bit of life out of the rideshare scene.

Usually not a big fan of ACL or Football games as they're such a pain to find and get to the PAX.
Nothing like deadheading for 20 minutes for either a short ~$5 ride or better yet to only be cancelled on by them.

Give me a good ol SWSX anyday. Drive someone across town, drop off and next ride is waiting to go back across town.
So good.

TNCMinWage

Was going to say that the UT/OU game is always in Dallas. Sucks a bit of life out of the rideshare scene.

Usually not a big fan of ACL or Football games as they're such a pain to find and get to the PAX.
Nothing like deadheading for 20 minutes for either a short ~$5 ride or better yet to only be cancelled on by them.

Give me a good ol SWSX anyday. Drive someone across town, drop off and next ride is waiting to go back across town.
So good.

I found myself deadheading quite a bit for SX. After waiting 15 mins to guide an old German couple to the pickup zone, only to bring them 8 blocks north to a holiday inn, I determined it best to get out of DT after drop offs!

Recoup

Yeah...
The newbies drive all around hoping for a ping whenever they don't have a pax in the car, because they don't know any better.
The more experienced hunker down when they don't have a pax in the car, because they know that every empty mile carries a cost.

The truly smart drivers know their operating costs, and understand when it pays to drive an empty car and when it does not.

tcc83

I hate acl with a passion. I drive every Friday evening all year. It's been non stop rides since the students have come back. I get fed the next ping before that last rider is out all night with 0 wait time. Last Friday and tonight have been the complete opposite. Want to know a quick way to see how much it sucks. There are 32 drivers waiting in the airport queue at 7:45 on a Friday night. It's usually 8-10.

Hhggh

Damn it was crazy busy earlier, I was there between 1-4 and it was nonstop almost hit $200 today. Did one acl drop and said @@@@ that. An annoying XL.. teen boys asking me a million questions.. 45 minutes of traffic for $11. I noped outta there and dfed to San marcos