My ACL Game Plan

vw66bus

I thought I would share my game plan as this will be my 3rd year driving ACL rideshares.
Note: I will be driving for Fasten (and Lyft if necessary, but I doubt I will need to turn their app on to stay busy).

* start in outlying areas, the show starts at 11AM each day, ends at 10PM.
* will wait w/ app offline until price multiplies are in effect.
* Friday gets busy in the late afternoon.
* will NOT provide water/snacks for riders as I don't want to clean up their trash.
* avoid pickups from ACL/Austin High as it is hell dealing with the traffic and finding your rider, especially the "mood enhanced" riders.
* it is common for riders to want to go downtown to drink at a reasonable price after the show. this means short rides and the aforementioned problems.
* go offline after a dropoff to avoid the aforementioned problems until I can get away from the drop off area.
* my breaktime will be around the close of the show @10PM
* back online @ 1AM or earlier to scoop up the bar hoppers.
* my goal is to be in bed by 3:30AM
* have my paypal app open to pick up riders that "can't get a ride thru their app" - many will ask, get payment up front and know how far and how much to ask for based on the market price.
* tips will be minimal since riders are paying a premium already.

Your thoughts please!
Especially if you are having better luck w/ pickups from the event.

tcc83

My strategy is to start driving at 5:00, stop driving after I make $100, and get some sleep. I hate ACL. Wishing you guys all the money in the world for the hassle.

El Gato

Good opportunity for some money, but my primary job usually interferes one of the weekends as does Texas State Football. I'll be out of town at a marching band contest, so have fun with that. Fly out today and will be using one of you guys in about an hour to take me to the airport. Morning driver took me to work was a nice dude.

TNCMinWage

Best of luck to everyone. My suggestion is, if you get lucky and have a good strategy and find a way to make good money, don't post your numbers here until after next weekend. Otherwise you'll motivate every driver reading this forum from the rest of Texas to flock here, and next weekend will absolutely suck with lower surges. Just my two cents.

Reactions: MHR

Yankee

Right now it's 8:08 a.m. Friday eve, and I'm home after driving all over the city for 90 min with ONE ping (Lyft for $8). I literally circled the city and got ZERO. I'm sure the system is down. I drove from 2:00 - 6:00 and made $80. That's okay on a normal day, but far from what I anticipated. Sitting in gridlock after dropping pax off down by Atlanta Street takes a toll. Not feeling too confident about this weekend. I'll probably go to bed early and get up early, take home the early morning stragglers and folks going out for the day.

Yankee

Best of luck to everyone. My suggestion is, if you get lucky and have a good strategy and find a way to make good money, don't post your numbers here until after next weekend. Otherwise you'll motivate every driver reading this forum from the rest of Texas to flock here, and next weekend will absolutely suck with lower surges. Just my two cents.

That's already happening. A pax told me today that her last driver was in town from Houston. Based on the lack of booming business today (I drove from 2 p.m. - 8 p.m. for $80 with a 30 min break, less than $20/hr) I'd say the profits are being shared dramatically with out of towners.

tcc83

Didn't even get to $100 before I quit. The 1.4 boost was ok but slower than usual. ACL drop offs caused large delays in getting back on the road.

Hhggh

Good opportunity for some money, but my primary job usually interferes one of the weekends as does Texas State Football. I'll be out of town at a marching band contest, so have fun with that. Fly out today and will be using one of you guys in about an hour to take me to the airport. Morning driver took me to work was a nice dude.
Fellow bobcat!

wilsonz83

the boost killed everything. Got a ride from AP all the way back to my house around 10 pm then dodged should I go downtown. Deadhead 20 miles, was lucky got a Lyft 500% to Far west, $56 ride plus $5 tip , then Uber 1.9x to downtown, then 2.1x from Stubbs to Domain, made $110 in 1.5 hours. I doubt if I am still that lucky today.

But Lyft was nice showing the estimated payout at the request screen, turned down 3 pings under $30 finally got the longer one.

Yankee

ALL the business is downtown and around Zilker during this festival. DON'T do what I did: working the outer areas north, south, east of the city. I quit after 5 hours yesterday with less than $100. This morning I went out at 9:00, got one good fare to Cedar Park, but spent the next 5 hours scavenging for nickels. Another 5 hours less than $100. The heat map tells the story: locals are driving close to downtown and requesting short rides. The only drivers likely making good $$ during this event are warriors who don't mind sitting in gridlock and searching around for pax like a needle in a haystack.

tcc83

Agree with everything Yankee said. I tried to avoid the mess last night and it was terrible.

Yankee

I’d love to hear the actual numbers of how many out-of town drivers came in to take the $$ away from those of us who live here and spend our $$ here. Not for nothing dudes, but how about next year you stay home. This festival is not big enough to support all of us. This isn’t SXSW. This festival is a wash. Downtown and Zilker is a shit show. The gridlock on all roads is epic. Nobody I’ve spoken to so far has made any $$. So yeah, no disrespect intended, but if you’re not living here, you shouldn’t drive here when there’s not enough business for us.

Yankee

I'm confident all the carpetbaggers will read this and comply.
"carpetbaggers"? really? what other 19th century phrases do you know? lmao Let me guess: when you go out you wear a red MAGA hat, don't you? lol

Last edited:

Yankee

I think I can still make my goal but I will have to be in my car non-stop and have to have a great M-Th. The money is out there!

Great attitude, Ms. Collette! I hope you kill it :-) I'm a bit different: if I have to be in my car non-stop, it's not a "gig", it's a full-time job. I don't think of this as a full-time job. If I can't make $20/hr driving between 25-35 hours a week, it falls into the category of "not worth it". $10 before gas and overhead doesn't' cut it for me. But I know we all have different needs and game plans. I hope you win it!

TNCMinWage

My operating costs are skyhigh with incredible dead miles this weekend. Dropping off at ACL and getting the heck out of there. Ain't no way I'm driving two miles from Austin High School to pick someone up only to go back down there through the traffic again! One time I left ACL and tried turning on Lyft to use their destination filter and pointed it north, and those bozos still gave me a pax nearby that was going back to ACL!

I did negotiate a smooth $20 tip for allowing some adults to bring their adult beverages in my car. Plus they would cover my costs if I got a ticket. That's the only way I'll ever let booze in my car.