Uber Drivers Forum banner

My 3 week experience with driving for Uber in Long Island (so far)

7K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  Vishnu643 
#1 ·
So, as I said in previous threads I wanted to try to do Uber on the Island and I flipping did it. Been doing it for the past 3 weeks (so far) vs me doing it previously for NYC. No I didn't illegally use my TLC plates in Long Island...mainly because I don't have any. So there are some things I do like about it and don't like about it, and I'll quickly share my thoughts because people have short attention spans.

Cons:
* The pay; holy s$%^ the pay sucks a#$%. $3.45 for a bare minimum.
*the rate; by the gods every time I look at my earnings I think "I could have made more in the city:. It's like I'm making 70% less than I did in the city....with more effort.
*the distance: to pick up a rider, it never fails to be 6-10 minutes....and it STILL has to be 12 minutes or more to be premium. Which wasn't worth it in the city and ain't worth it in LI. The one time it is worth is when the distance exceeds 10 miles....depending on how you look at it.
*hotspots; they're so spaced out that you can just work a hot spot all night. You may get a trip to a hot spot and then back out from it, but afterwards good luck. You may drive back empty to the hotspot.
*the lulls; coincides with the distance. Unlike NYC I actually have to drive SOMEWHERE, and I don't know where in order to get a ride. I could wait within 12 minutes parked somewhere and still not get a ping. This is worse so in residential maze like neighborhoods. This is very unlike the city.
*Hamptons; a 30 minute drive just to go to the hottest spot on long island. I'm in the town of islip so that is far, I can't imagine if you live somewhere like Farmingdale. Yeesh good luck.
*less places to take a potty break
*reliance on tips: unfortunately, I have to rely on the tips to reach my daily goal which has been lowered. IN the city, I didn't have to rely on tips to meet my goal in a timely matter.
*have to use two apps instead of one to get by. According to riders who spoke with other drivers, in order for them to sustain a living, they HAVE to use Uber & Lyft which is annoying. Lyft's gui SUCKS!

Pros:
*far less stressful for those who get stressed out easily enough. If you are a person who only plays their personal music between picks ups, then you can actually "enjoy" the ride to the pick up location.
*traffic; very much lesser IN COMPARISON to NYC. Doesn't mean it doesn't get crowded on the rush hour, but I can still say it's better than Manhattan (though I never deliberately chose to go to Manhattan).
*closer to home: thankfully i live in suffolk county so I can just take a minutes ride home if I have to do the doo.
*tips; only SLIGHTLY better but mainly all cash tips. Leaves less confusion

WHich me planning to move back closer to the city AND going to school in the city, money is a big factor for me, which Long Island, thus far just hasn't shown as big a earning as the city for me. It took me 10 hours to make my first $200. That's terrible. Far slower than the city where there were multiple (but not always) instances of me making $300; with uber x/pool. Otherwise I was looking at $250 in 7-8 hours (not including tips).

Perhaps there are things I'm not doing right or perhaps I'm just not in the right areas at the right time. I know especially during 10-3 there's a big lull in L.I. which wouldn't happen in the city for me. If you have any ideas on my reaction help a brother out. Not like there's much competition outside of the Hamptons.

See less See more
#5 ·
So, as I said in previous threads I wanted to try to do Uber on the Island and I flipping did it. Been doing it for the past 3 weeks (so far) vs me doing it previously for NYC. No I didn't illegally use my TLC plates in Long Island...mainly because I don't have any. So there are some things I do like about it and don't like about it, and I'll quickly share my thoughts because people have short attention spans.

Cons:
*the rate; by the gods every time I look at my earnings I think "I could have made more in the city:. It's like I'm making 70% less than I did in the city....with more effort.
*the distance: to pick up a rider, it never fails to be 6-10 minutes....and it STILL has to be 12 minutes or more to be premium. Which wasn't worth it in the city and ain't worth it in LI. The one time it is worth is when the distance exceeds 10 miles....depending on how you look at it.
*hotspots; they're so spaced out that you can just work a hot spot all night. You may get a trip to a hot spot and then back out from it, but afterwards good luck. You may drive back empty to the hotspot.
*the lulls; coincides with the distance. Unlike NYC I actually have to drive SOMEWHERE, and I don't know where in order to get a ride. I could wait within 12 minutes parked somewhere and still not get a ping. This is worse so in residential maze like neighborhoods. This is very unlike the city.
*Hamptons; a 30 minute drive just to go to the hottest spot on long island. I'm in the town of islip so that is far, I can't imagine if you live somewhere like Farmingdale. Yeesh good luck.
*reliance on tips: unfortunately, I have to rely on the tips to reach my daily goal which has been lowered. IN the city, I didn't have to rely on tips to meet my goal in a timely matter.
*have to use two apps instead of one to get by. According to riders who spoke with other drivers, in order for them to sustain a living, they HAVE to use Uber & Lyft which is annoying. Lyft's gui SUCKS!

Pros:
*far less stressful for those who get stressed out easily enough. If you are a person who only plays their personal music between picks ups, then you can actually "enjoy" the ride to the pick up location.
*traffic; very much lesser IN COMPARISON to NYC. Doesn't mean it doesn't get crowded on the rush hour, but I can still say it's better than Manhattan (though I never deliberately chose to go to Manhattan).
*closer to home: thankfully i live in suffolk county so I can just take a minutes ride home if I have to do the doo.

WHich me planning to move back closer to the city AND going to school in the city, money is a big factor for me, which Long Island, thus far just hasn't shown as big a earning as the city for me. It took me 10 hours to make my first $200. That's terrible. Far slower than the city where there were multiple (but not always) instances of me making $300; with uber x/pool. Otherwise I was looking at $250 in 7-8 hours (not including tips).

Perhaps there are things I'm not doing right or perhaps I'm just not in the right areas at the right time. I know especially during 10-3 there's a big lull in L.I. which wouldn't happen in the city for me. If you have any ideas on my reaction help a brother out. Not like there's much competition outside of the Hamptons.
Whatever you do on uber is same pay. Nothing to compare. Example: drive uber New Jersey save on insurance and license vs New York. Do long trips from manhattan to other states, coming back empty where gas, toll, time and vehicle depreciation useless. It's obvious uber: take it or live it. It's not bad if you can find way!!! Good luck

in 2 months long island is going to die big time, there will be no more surges or anything. I hope you aren't planning the rest of the year based on your summer numbers of Uber income
Uber immortal. Take it or live it. Do not go crazy!!! It's impossible to become wealthy. Those days gone!!!
Strike is way to win Commision/ proper pay!!!

#6 ·
Whatever you do on uber is same pay. Nothing to compare. Example: drive uber New Jersey save on insurance and license vs New York. Do long trips from manhattan to other states, coming back empty where gas, toll, time and vehicle depreciation useless. It's obvious uber: take it or live it. It's not bad if you can find way!!! Good luck.
The only time LI approaches NYC Pay (Minus the added expense for license/insurance etc) is in the summer, in another month the island will be dead and NYC will be far more profitable. Not saying it's great pay either way, but NYC is still better most of the year

#7 ·
The only time LI approaches NYC Pay (Minus the added expense for license/insurance etc) is in the summer, in another month the island will be dead and NYC will be far more profitable. Not saying it's great pay either way, but NYC is still better most of the year
But at least these tips help. A LOT. I made a $100 even split between cash and app in tips alone. Flipping crazy. But I guess it's summer madness for li. Won't see that in NYC ever.

#17 ·
I think its safe to say the end is near for Long Island Ubers now that Thanksgiving/Holiday season is over. There will essentially never be a surge anymore.

Good thing I have a TLC license and rented out TLC car right after new years. Worked 7 hours today in NYC and made $250. Called it a day and came home. It also might be worthwhile to start looking at $15 minimum wage jobs instead of running your to the ground to make peanuts and expect to pay $1k tax for every $5k you made.

#20 ·

Cons:

Pros:

I was trying to find the answer to my question but couldnt. Since long island likes to pretend theyre not part of nyc.If I moved to long island can I still drive in the boroughs long as I have a tlc license and plates? Kind of how like if you live in jersey you cant work here?

#22 · (Edited)
I was trying to find the answer to my question but couldnt. Since long island likes to pretend theyre not part of nyc.If I moved to long island can I still drive in the boroughs long as I have a tlc license and plates? Kind of how like if you live in jersey you cant work here?
You can. You will get only city going ping no point to point trip.

You will get only city ping no point to point

#25 ·
Wish

Cons:

Pros:

Do you still drive in LI?

I was wondering if it's worth to go to Long Island from Brooklyn, to work with Lyft. Due to new TLC regulations Uber and Lyft don't accept new drivers in NYC. So I have 2 options; New York State or New Jersey. What would u recommend?

Btw, I'll have my TLC license soon, but can't work with Uber/Lyft in NYC.

#26 ·
Wish

Do you still drive in LI?

I was wondering if it's worth to go to Long Island from Brooklyn, to work with Lyft. Due to new TLC regulations Uber and Lyft don't accept new drivers in NYC. So I have 2 options; New York State or New Jersey. What would u recommend?

Btw, I'll have my TLC license soon, but can't work with Uber/Lyft in NYC.
I no longer work in LI. However, I have spoken with drivers in LI. They make $>1K a week on average. I wasn't doing that and don't know how. Kudos to them though. If you want to work rideshare, it can't hurt to try LI. Closer than upstate and less regulations.

#27 ·
I no longer work in LI. However, I have spoken with drivers in LI. They make $>1K a week on average. I wasn't doing that and don't know how. Kudos to them though. If you want to work rideshare, it can't hurt to try LI. Closer than upstate and less regulations.
I'll give it a try. Looks like it's better to experience it yourself rather than asking people. Cuz everyone say different things or just trolling ?‍♂

#28 ·
1k/ week on LI is impossible, even if you work 24/7 and don't sleep you can't make 1K with $.70/mile and $.17/min rate, you have to be desperate and broke to work on LI and you won't be making more than $10/h.

#36 ·
You're talkin next to taxes but not a real net because you're still buying gas tires oil excetera
First off, if your considering deprectiation, why? Do you plan to sell the car in a year? If so, well then that's on you. If you don't do your own repairs, you'll spend a lot of money. If you can't find ways to save on gas, that's also on you. Everyone has a different price point base on how they operate and diversify their coss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.