1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

My 1st ever time almost hitting 911 and pulling my gun

Discussion in 'Stories' started by Scotto, Dec 6, 2018.

1. It happened in Jacksonville Florida, 8pm ish. The young man gets in back and asks me if I have a cash card. I ask, " What is a cash card?" He then said a thing to get cash. I said, " Oh a debit card". He then said yeah and I told him nope, I only have savings(Total lie). Then he asks about people who pay with cash which was another odd question since he should already know how Uber/Lyft pays. His questions just continued to seem like he was sizing me up. He then started talking about needing to get money to send to his baby mama. I told him that Walmart has moneygram and it is instant, very low fee etc. He said he didn't have money to send. Then I happen to look at his drop off and it is an an area I never accept rides from at night. I subtlely opened up my 911 emergency button on my phone, unholster my 357 and lay it under my left thigh ready to at least get one shot off if something happened. Then he gets a call, says something real quiet like " Nah man, Im gonna stop now, ill hit you up after". He then says I can drop him off where we were, still a good few miles from his destination. Needless to say, I was freaked out but surprised how calm I was. I honestly think this kid was trying to see if I was worth robbing. If we denied every ride without a photo or being the named person, there would be no rides. People like this kid are why many, many drivers I know refuse any ride from particular zip codes. Have a Merry safe Christmas everyone and be careful out there.

D713, woodywho, Cary Grant and 19 others like this.
  2. sadboy

sadboy

Cool story bro....

Boca Ratman and Khatar like this.
  3. Dialed up 357 before 911.

Well done Bubba.

4. sadboy

sadboy

Pull a gun in close quarters, very smart.

5. I'm in Utah where crime is a joke. I mean, we have it, it's just much less common. I live in SoCal for 15 years. I laugh when people here complain about crime.

Regardless, I'd pack heat if I weren't lazy enough to go through the concealed carry course. I pack pepper spray instead. Never had to use yet.

Don't you think a 357 is a bit of overkill though? I'd probably just pack a glock or even derringer. A 357, especially if you have hollow points, is going to make a real big mess in your back seat :p

GT500KR and RDWRER like this.
  6. UberBastid

UberBastid

Glock is not necessarily a small caliber. It exists in 45 cal, 357, 9mm and others (including 22).
    I carry a .22 cal mini mag 5 shot revolver that is so small it can be covered completely with my hand. Carried in a shirt pocket it is invisible (be careful bending over - it is a real conversation stopper when you drop it at someone's feet. lol).

Cary Grant, GT500KR and Merc7186 like this.
  7. Ah, for some reason I thought glocks were 9mm. Shows what I know. :rolleyes: I own a 9mm Beretta, an AR and a 12-Gauge but I'm definitely not a gun expert.

MadTownUberD and ST DYMPHNA son like this.
  8. LAuberX

LAuberX Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    Cash? lol, no. I'm driving strangers at night because I owe every body in town money, rent, child support, it does not end does it?

"I was hoping for a cash tip so I could get something to eat tonight"

9. UberBastid

UberBastid

I had someone threaten to sue me once. I laughed and said, "Hell, you don't have to sue me. I got my net worth right here in my pocket." I pulled out some bills and change and said, "Looks like $2.83 plus a pocket lint covered breath mint. If you will settle for everything I have, I will draw up the release papers ..."
    Defused hand grenade.

Immoralized, Cary Grant, kbb and 4 others like this.
  10. HotUberMess

HotUberMess

<3 stay safe.

They can be. I have a Glock17 9mm

Christinebitg and MadTownUberD like this.
  11. Ha! Why did he want to sue you?

12. UberBastid

UberBastid

Oh hell, I don't even remember.
    I think it was when my wife owned a book store, and a customer was complaining about something stupid.
    I was known, back in those days, as "The Book Nazi".
    I did AP, AR, Payroll, scheduling, ordering inventory, etc.
    Wifey and the employees kept me away from the customers; unless, things got ****ty and they needed "The Book Nazi".

NO MORE BOOKS FOR YOU. OUT. OUT!

tohunt4me and losiglow like this.
  13. steveK2016

steveK2016

Driving:
    UberXL
    Yea but will that pea shooter actually stop a criminal on drugs with murder in his eyes in time?

9mm would be the minimum for my daily carry, currently carrying a 40S&W.

tohunt4me likes this.
  14. Bbonez

Bbonez

My CC weapon is .357 magnum loaded with CorBon DPX hollow points. https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-340-pd

Shoot someone with a .22 how much less of a mess do you think will be in your backseat? You might have a mess in the front seat because the 1 shot stop percentage is much lower. Also, when using a weapon in self defense the mess after is the last thing on my mind.

ScottoScotto I recommend a CCW insurance policy, they will cover all of your leagal fees and hire a good attorney to represent you in the aftermath.

MoreTips likes this.
  15. UberBastid

UberBastid

Maybe not, it is better than nothing, and it is so easy to conceal.
    I said something like that to my gunsmith and he said "22 caliber has killed more people than any other caliber. And that mini-mag load is nasty - it has a lot in common with the .380 caliber in ballistic gelatin, especially the hollow point premium ammo you use. It it not effective for ranges of more than 6 feet - but if you are that far away you shouldn't be shooting, you should be running."
    Or, as my mom once said "it's not the caliber, its the placement -- the first one to get a round into their opponents left eye is the winner." She was an outstanding shot.

Cary Grant likes this.
  16. Merc7186

Merc7186

Driving:
    UberXL
    You have $2.83????

Jelly....

Immoralized, kbb and ST DYMPHNA son like this.
  17. Gilby

Gilby

Driving:
    UberX
    I have a 380 LCP, but don't feel any need to carry while driving rideshare. Small town, little crime, no neighborhoods that scare me, and I don't drive at night.

MadTownUberD likes this.
  18. Bbonez

Bbonez

Most people they interview after a murder or violent crime say, "We never thought something like that could happen here"

Cary Grant likes this.
  19. The mob, don't forget the mob.

It's been proven that a .357 has a much faster response time than a 911.

20. Emp9

Emp9

Driving:
    UberX
    seems like OP is not winning , with pay cuts and almost being robbed. maga not working out well.

NORMY likes this.