Music

@catch_smiley

Hey all! Somewhat new driver here (I've been driving for about a month) don't worry, I'm not going to ask you guys where the hotspots are. I get it, you're kinda like fishermen and don't wanna share "your spots". I only drive on the weekends, I gotta say I love it! Great way to make a few extra dollars. I've been obsessed with this message board the past week and debated on joining it or not. It's fun to read, but I get the feeling that a lot of you are bitter towards new drivers. I get it, you feel like we're hurting your cash flow, but hey, can you blame us? It's easy money, we want in on some the action too. Anyway, enough about that. Let's have a fun, non-competitive conversation.
Music: what do you guys usually put on while driving? Do you usually play music? Do you ask you pax(?) (what does pax stand for?) what they want to listen to?
As for me, I have a pretty huge CD collection. I try to just grab something that I feel nobody hates and play it all night. I tend to use The Rolling Stones greatest hits more times than not. But I've played Johnny Cash, Queen, and a few others. I discovered a new ska band called The Interrupers recently and played them all last weekend, I had a couple pax say things like "is this ska music, don't hear too many people listen that anymore". I've had a couple pax want me to put it on a top-40 station like 107.7 or 104.9 (yuck) but I do for them.
Anyway, I look toward to our conversation about music.

-Smiley

dumbdriver

Hey all! Somewhat new driver here (I've been driving for about a month) don't worry, I'm not going to ask you guys where the hotspots are. I get it, you're kinda like fishermen and don't wanna share "your spots". I only drive on the weekends, I gotta say I love it! Great way to make a few extra dollars. I've been obsessed with this message board the past week and debated on joining it or not. It's fun to read, but I get the feeling that a lot of you are bitter towards new drivers. I get it, you feel like we're hurting your cash flow, but hey, can you blame us? It's easy money, we want in on some the action too. Anyway, enough about that. Let's have a fun, non-competitive conversation.
Music: what do you guys usually put on while driving? Do you usually play music? Do you ask you pax(?) (what does pax stand for?) what they want to listen to?
As for me, I have a pretty huge CD collection. I try to just grab something that I feel nobody hates and play it all night. I tend to use The Rolling Stones greatest hits more times than not. But I've played Johnny Cash, Queen, and a few others. I discovered a new ska band called The Interrupers recently and played them all last weekend, I had a couple pax say things like "is this ska music, don't hear too many people listen that anymore". I've had a couple pax want me to put it on a top-40 station like 107.7 or 104.9 (yuck) but I do for them.
Anyway, I look toward to our conversation about music.

-Smiley
Highway to Hell is the Most requested!

Kurtstl

Smiley - I just started myself. I feel a lot like you. - I wonder why anyone would refer others to drive in the same city. Seems like Most of the STL areas are saturated. But I also feel that its such a crap shoot and its luck of timing more than anything. Granted, being in the area where the Uber demographic is high (CWE, Busch Stadium, Convention Center, etc) is crucial for increased trip requests, it does not guaranty a lucrative evening. You may have been on a 2 mile trip when the next request would have been a higher mileage trip. My "day job" is in logistics. Its all about being efficient, minimizing deadhead miles (miles between guests) while keeping the wheels rolling with a load (guest)

anyhooo.. I love using the Pandora in app. I have numerous channels available for the infinite variety of guests. So far 9 out of 10 guests I engage and discuss things with and the music is turned way down. Sweet find on The Interrrupters. I have had a few guests positively comment on what was playing, Jimmy Cliff, Muddy Waters and Miles Davis channels were playing at those times. I have also had chill hip hop playing (Fugees and Devin the Dude channels) For some reason I feel like its my duty to introduce people to new sounds but its really like being in an elevator, most people are so into themselves, thoughts, phones etc that they don't even notice whats playing.

@catch_smiley

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Smiley - I just started myself. I feel a lot like you. - I wonder why anyone would refer others to drive in the same city. Seems like Most of the STL areas are saturated. But I also feel that its such a crap shoot and its luck of timing more than anything. Granted, being in the area where the Uber demographic is high (CWE, Busch Stadium, Convention Center, etc) is crucial for increased trip requests, it does not guaranty a lucrative evening. You may have been on a 2 mile trip when the next request would have been a higher mileage trip. My "day job" is in logistics. Its all about being efficient, minimizing deadhead miles (miles between guests) while keeping the wheels rolling with a load (guest)

anyhooo.. I love using the Pandora in app. I have numerous channels available for the infinite variety of guests. So far 9 out of 10 guests I engage and discuss things with and the music is turned way down. Sweet find on The Interrrupters. I have had a few guests positively comment on what was playing, Jimmy Cliff, Muddy Waters and Miles Davis channels were playing at those times. I have also had chill hip hop playing (Fugees and Devin the Dude channels) For some reason I feel like its my duty to introduce people to new sounds but its really like being in an elevator, most people are so into themselves, thoughts, phones etc that they don't even notice whats playing.
I never even thought of it being my duty to introduce people to new music. Maybe focus on local bands for the out-of-towners (it seems like most of my rides are). Maybe I'll have to keep a Chuck Berry and The Urge CD in my car. Thanks for the idea, we can help spread St Louis music through Urber!

Speaking of music, a few months ago I picked up 2 passengers in CWE going downtown. One of them asked me if any events were happening. I told them Chicago was playing tonight. He thought I meant a baseball game. I said, "No, the band." She said, "Who is that?" I said they are a great band who have been around for years!