• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Multiplier surge glitch

pizzaladee

After dropping off with Lyft I opened the Uber app. It showed surge with multipliers. 1.7 for the bigger area, and hard to see 1.2 very small area. When I logged on they switched to flat rate and 1.7 became $3.75, and the 1.2 became “more requests than usual”7E7D9EAB-68E4-4E62-A4A7-1BD724F62F8E.png3B868A06-9498-4C8E-99B6-1F5CEE804392.png

SurgeMasterMN

After dropping off with Lyft I opened the Uber app. It showed surge with multipliers. 1.7 for the bigger area, and hard to see 1.2 very small area. When I logged on they switched to flat rate and 1.7 became $3.75, and the 1.2 became “more requests than usual”View attachment 355734View attachment 355735
It’s happening. Get ready to say goodbye to the multiplier. They got rid of that about a year ago here in Minneapolis.

Last edited:

Michael - Cleveland

It’s happening. Get ready to say goodbye to the multiplier. They got ride of that about a year ago here in Minneapolis.
Uber didn't - they just don't show it to DRIVERS. Riders are still seeing multipliers and you can see them in the rider app. Driver's are no longer getting paid based on the multiplier charged to the rider.

What they got rid of a year ago, in the last driver agreement addendum, was any connection between the rider FARE and the driver's EARNINGS. They have NO relationship to each other anymore.

SurgeMasterMN

Uber didn't - they just don't show it to DRIVERS. Riders are still seeing multipliers and you can see them in the rider app. Driver's are no longer getting paid based on the multiplier charged to the rider.

What they got rid of a year ago, in the last driver agreement addendum, was any connection between the rider FARE and the driver's EARNINGS. They have NO relationship to each other anymore.
True...

That is where the Surge App from Duncan Cunningham comes in handy. The only way I can claw back 70-75% of the fair is on longer XL rides. The shorter rides u get hosed on. So I try to place myself way out in the burbs for the airport rides.

Michael - Cleveland

True...

That is where the Surge App from Duncan Cunningham comes in handy. The only way I can claw back 70-75% of the fair is on longer XL rides. The shorter rides u get hosed on. So I try to place myself way out in the burbs for the airport rides.
I'm seeing more and more drivers make arrangements for CASH rides that cost the rider less and pay the driver more. Despite the fact that it is against policy (and illegal here in OH). Driver's don't care anymore.

SurgeMasterMN

I'm seeing more and more drivers make arrangements for CASH rides that cost the rider less and pay the driver more. Despite the fact that it is against policy (and illegal here in OH). Driver's don't care anymore.
That’s America 👍

If the numbers work the drivers that really enjoy what they do should get Commercial Insurance and build a strong client pipeline built on the backs of these companies that are screwing us. Private clients are the only way out for drivers that love to drive and want to make a decent living.

Michael - Cleveland

That’s America 👍

If the numbers work the drivers that really enjoy what they do should get Commercial Insurance and build a strong client pipeline built on the backs of these companies that are screwing us. Private clients are the only way out for drivers that love to drive and want to make a decent living.
Some do - but most, I think, (like me) just want to drive when they want to drive and when it's lucrative and/or fun. It's not worth a $2,000-$10,000 insurance, uh, investment.

SurgeMasterMN

Some do - but most, I think, (like me) just want to drive when they want to drive and when it's lucrative and/or fun. It's not worth a $2,000-$10,000 insurance, uh, investment.
True... figure if u can pay $3000.00 a year which is what I checked out last year it might be worth it. Think about how much we pay these companies that are acting like pimps as of today.

I would probably recommend this to Veteran Drivers. I think the Upper Tier and Luxury market is still in demand ie weddings, business travelers, people heading out on date night. If we go quality rides over quantity then there is less wear and tear on your vehicle and u can buy that luxury car you always wanted. Get LLC set up and u can work the write offs pretty good.

It would take a while to build up but if you offer a good service, are friendly with people and have a nice unique car people will want u to drive them everywhere and will recommend to friends and family.

Michael - Cleveland

True... figure if u can pay $3000.00 a year which is what I checked out last year it might be worth it. Think about how much we pay these companies that are acting like pimps as of today.

I would probably recommend this to Veteran Drivers. I think the Upper Tier and Luxury market is still in demand ie weddings, business travelers, people heading out on date night. If we go quality rides over quantity then there is less wear and tear on your vehicle and u can buy that luxury car you always wanted. Get LLC set up and u can work the write offs pretty good.

It would take a while to build up but if you offer a good service, are friendly with people and have a nice unique car people will want u to drive them everywhere and will recommend to friends and family.
About the last thing I ever want to be is a 'commercial driver'. Even as a retiree.
I far prefer to drive a junker car and haul people out to their parties... and let someone else drag their drunk asses home.
I personally drive because it means my weekly spending cash doesn't have to come out of my bank account and I have a group of friends that I like to get breakfast with at 3AM after the bars close. :smiles:

SurgeMasterMN

About the last thing I ever want to be is a 'commercial driver'. Even as a retiree.
I far prefer to drive a junker car and haul people out to their parties... and let someone else drag their drunk asses home.
True... this is why they need to improve the cut but it seems like they are holding our head underwater waiting for us to tap out at the lowest rate. It is a pretty bad situation we are in as drivers.

Mitch J.

That’s America 👍

Well said SurgeMaster well said. Just wait until they get into an accident (either their fault or not) and it’s found out that they’re driving for profit they’re screwed and I’ll be the first to laugh
Post automatically merged:

Last edited:

SurgeMasterMN

Well said SurgeMaster well said. Just wait until they get into an accident (either their fault or not) and it’s found out that they’re driving for profit they’re screwed and I’ll be the first to laugh
Post automatically merged:
Commercial Insurance covers them.

SurgeMasterMN

Yes SurgeMaster I know that. But they don’t know how much Up a shIts creek with no paddle they will be in if they get into an accident.
Right on.. If they have commercial insurance doesn't this cover any accidents? I not trying to be a jerk but understand what you are saying.

Mitch J.

Right on.. If they have commercial insurance doesn't this cover any accidents? I not trying to be a jerk but understand what you are saying.
Of course it does. What I’m saying with just liability which 98% of drivers only have and drive people around for profit THEYRE NOT COVERED

SurgeMasterMN

Of course it does. What I’m saying with just liability which 98% of drivers only have and drive people around for profit THEYRE NOT COVERED
I will have to touch base with my insurance agent to verify. I do have ride share insurance but will clarify with him. Of not more drivers should be aware and figure out how to fix this with both of these companies.

Michael - Cleveland

What I’m saying with just liability which 98% of drivers only have
98% of drivers do not have only liability insurance. We know this because so many drivers FINANCE their vehicles (and you can't finance a vehicle without full coverage). We also know that a not insignificant' % of drivers also carry a 'rideshare' (business use) rider on their policy.

In fact, the only drivers who even CAN carry only liability insurance are those who do not have a loan/financing or lease on their vehicle.

Please do not make stuff up and post it as fact.

Roger in Canton

98% of drivers do not have only liability insurance. We know this because so many drivers FINANCE their vehicles (and you can't finance a vehicle without full coverage). We also know that a not insignificant' % of drivers also carry a 'rideshare' (business use) rider on their policy.

In fact, the only drivers who even CAN carry only liability insurance are those who do not have a loan/financing or lease on their vehicle.

Please do not make stuff up and post it as fact.
"Full coverage" plus the "Rideshare rider" won't cover you for a cash ride! The "Rideshare rider" (typically $20/month) only covers you while waiting for a ping from a TNC! YOU MUST HAVE COMMERCIAL INSURANCE FOR CASH RIDES!!!