• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Multiple Passengers

TheUbernaut

This is a gripe as well as a request for advice.

The app should indicate multiple passengers so you can have the option to decline. When you show up to the stop and there are four (or more) people waiting to cram in to your car it puts you in a position to either allow them in and suffer cramped driving conditions, wear and tear on your car and an unpleasant trip, or the also unpleasant task of telling them to call someone else.

Yesterday I pulled up to a stop to find four very large guys. I told them no and was called a @@@@@@. I have been called far worse things in my life :wink:, but it could have been avoided if I knew up front.

There should be an additional charge for each passenger over two and the option to decline if the number of passengers exceeds your car's capacity. I have never just blown anyone off, but maybe that's the only option in this case?

UberchickATL

I used to take extra people and let them cram in my car but NO MORE! Police are ticketing drivers for unsafe driving. The ticket is $275. Seat belts have to be available for each passenger.

JohnnyBravo836

There should be an additional charge for each passenger over two and the option to decline if the number of passengers exceeds your car's capacity. I have never just blown anyone off, but maybe that's the only option in this case?
There's already the option to decline if the number of passengers exceeds your capacity, which, for Uber X, is four. That's what we signed up for, and it's already included in the price. If you want additional charges for groups over two, good luck on getting that . . . Of course, if that were to become the new policy, what would obviously happen is that paxes would indicate that there were only two riders, and then try to get you to agree to take 4 for the price of only two. And the struggle starts all over again: cheap paxes trying to get you to give them things they haven't paid for.

disp350

The app should indicate multiple passengers so you can have the option to decline. When you show up to the stop and there are four (or more) people waiting to cram in to your car it puts you in a position to either allow them in and suffer cramped driving conditions, wear and tear on your car and an unpleasant trip, or the also unpleasant task of telling them to call someone else.

Yesterday I pulled up to a stop to find four very large guys. I told them no and was called a @@@@@@. I have been called far worse things in my life :wink:, but it could have been avoided if I knew up front.

Listen, I am not trying to be a smart ass, but when you signed up to drive, didn't you take note that Uber X allows up to 4 passengers? I can understand if your talking about 4 big pax that will fill the car, but they also know that they may get a Honda Fit or a 5 pax SUV, so they have to deal with it as well. And you get a ding for cancelling. I would be pissed as a pax at as well. If they want to squeeze in, fine with me. I have my own seat and dont mind. And never more than 4 pax. They can call me all the names they want and I could care less. Not even for a cash tip. One bonehead driver runs into your car and Uber and your own insurance company will laugh you all the way to bankruptcy!

This reminds me of a post a few years back from a driver who was complaining about having to put luggage, golf clubs, etc. in the back of his car.

Last edited:

TomTheAnt

Listen, I am not trying to be a smart ass, but when you signed up to drive, didn't you take note that Uber X allows up to 4 passengers?
This pretty much sums it up. That's what you signed up for. It's all spelled out in the ToS, but who reads them, right?

If you have a problem with four pax, then you need to drive XL. Then again..., if OP drives XL he'd probably @@@@@ about six people needing a ride, so nevermind... :rolleyes:

And how come do I get a deja vu feeling about this... Pretty sure I something similar around here yesterday, too...

Boca Ratman

Screenshot_20190322-123540_Gallery.jpg

TheUbernaut

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Listen, I am not trying to be a smart ass, but when you signed up to drive, didn't you take note that Uber X allows up to 4 passengers? I can understand if your talking about 4 big pax that will fill the car, but they also know that they may get a Honda Fit or a 5 pax SUV, so they have to deal with it as well. And you get a ding for cancelling. I would be pissed as a pax at as well. If they want to squeeze in, fine with me. I have my own seat and dont mind. And never more than 4 pax. They can call me all the names they want and I could care less. Not even for a cash tip. One bonehead driver runs into your car and Uber and your own insurance company will laugh you all the way to bankruptcy!

This reminds me of a post a few years back from a driver who was complaining about having to put luggage, golf clubs, etc. in the back of his car.
I don't take you as a smart ass, I appreciate direct communication. I do however disagree with the blanket four passenger rule. There is a very distinct difference between four huge guys and perhaps Mom, Dad and the kids.

In the end, it's my car and my space. Thank you for your perspective, it helps. :smiles:
Post automatically merged:

Thank you for the information.

dctcmn

I don't take you as a smart ass, I appreciate direct communication. I do however disagree with the blanket four passenger rule. There is a very distinct difference between four huge guys and perhaps Mom, Dad and the kids.

In the end, it's my car and my space. Thank you for your perspective, it helps. :smiles:
If you disagree with the blanket four passenger rule, then why did you sign a contract with Uber stating that you agree to take up to four passengers, regardless of size?

I'll be the first to say that you can use your allowable cancellations in any legal way that you see fit, but you're really complaining about something that you freely agreed to.

Boca Ratman

Yes, 4 linebacker sized guys shouldn't be expected to fit in a Nissan Sentra or other similar sized car. however this is not the norm and you should be ready to pick up 4 people on every trip. The basic requirements are 4 doors and seats/seatbelts for 4 passengers.

You can't expect Uber to require pax check an I'm fat box! 4 big guys know they wont vot in a sub compact, occasionally you'll have to cancel due to pax ignorance

TheUbernaut

This pretty much sums it up. That's what you signed up for. It's all spelled out in the ToS, but who reads them, right?

If you have a problem with four pax, then you need to drive XL. Then again..., if OP drives XL he'd probably @@@@@ about six people needing a ride, so nevermind... :rolleyes:

And how come do I get a deja vu feeling about this... Pretty sure I something similar around here yesterday, too...
I have no info on your feeling of deja vu, this is the first I have logged in for several months. The point remains valid, four huge guys in my car is too many. It's unsafe and causes excessive wear and tear on my car. The policy of four riders doesn't take into consideration the variance between the size of the individuals. This is simple logic, not a disservice on my part. I have a 4.89 rating and provide professional service to all of my PAX's.

Sarcasm is unnecessary, and unappreciated. You can tell it like you see it without sinking to that level.

Yes, 4 linebacker sized guys shouldn't be expected to fit in a Nissan Sentra or other similar sized car. however this is not the norm and you should be ready to pick up 4 people on every trip. The basic requirements are 4 doors and seats/seatbelts for 4 passengers.

You can't expect Uber to require pax check an I'm fat box! 4 big guys know they wont vot in a sub compact, occasionally you'll have to cancel due to pax ignorance
Thank you, that is the main point I was attempting to convey.

I do believe however, that there should be an extra charge for over two passengers. Taxi services charge for that, and so should we.

disp350

I have no info on your feeling of deja vu, this is the first I have logged in for several months. The point remains valid, four huge guys in my car is too many. It's unsafe and causes excessive wear and tear on my car. The policy of four riders doesn't take into consideration the variance between the size of the individuals. This is simple logic, not a disservice on my part. I have a 4.89 rating and provide professional service to all of my PAX's.

Sarcasm is unnecessary, and unappreciated. You can tell it like you see it without sinking to that level.

Thank you, that is the main point I was attempting to convey.

I do believe however, that there should be an extra charge for over two passengers. Taxi services charge for that, and so should we.
So if there was an extra charge for more than 2 passengers, then you would be OK with 4 people filling up your vehicle? You have to face facts that Uber will do nothing that will benefit drivers. Heck - we dont even see the exact address of the pickup location when the ride is being offered. While many of your points may be valid, it comes down to reading and knowing the TOS and either following them, expecting to having to deal with less then ideal situations and always hoping for the best, or moving on

TomTheAnt

So, what is your suggestion how Uber should tackle this problem you are having? Just having the pax tell how many of them are there is not going to tell you anything yet.

The four riders could be big/small ladies or dudes the rider app should ask height and weight of each of them? That's pretty much the only way to make sure you don't have to inconvenience the pax or yourself. Yup... Pretty sure that's going to fly well in the era of the efforts of having all people being equal.

Just suck it up and drive. If there are four big dudes and you don't want to take them, then cancel and move on to the next pax/s who might be more of the number and size you are looking for.

TheUbernaut

So if there was an extra charge for more than 2 passengers, then you would be OK with 4 people filling up your vehicle? You have to face facts that Uber will do nothing that will benefit drivers. Heck - we dont even see the exact address of the pickup location when the ride is being offered. While many of your points may be valid, it comes down to reading and knowing the TOS and either following them, expecting to having to deal with less then ideal situations and always hoping for the best, or moving on
Yes, I do believe there should be an extra charge for over two passengers. I also stand by my assessment that size matters :wink: If the equation of four (or even three) is calculated as mass x density = volume, and the volume exceeds capacity, then it is an unacceptable outcome.

I do appreciate your attitude of moving past less than ideal situations sir. Thank you :smiles:

So, what is your suggestion how Uber should tackle this problem you are having? Just having the pax tell how many of them are there is not going to tell you anything yet.

The four riders could be big/small ladies or dudes the rider app should ask height and weight of each of them? That's pretty much the only way to make sure you don't have to inconvenience the pax or yourself. Yup... Pretty sure that's going to fly well in the era of the efforts of having all people being equal.

Just suck it up and drive. If there are four big dudes and you don't want to take them, then cancel and move on to the next pax/s who might be more of the number and size you are looking for.
Thank you for your perspective and being direct rather than sarcastic. I agree with what you said regarding the judgement call to cancel and move on. That is what I was looking for, other perspectives so I can make a rational decision.

We can debate the four passenger subject (or not) as a separate topic.

Last edited:

Boca Ratman

Taxi services charge for that, and so should we.
most do not anymore. I'm all for making more money however possible but this would just be a headache.

We'd have to confirm, we'd run into groups more often lying about having one when its four than having 4 supersized guys trying to squeeze into your compact. People freak now when we say there's 2 pool riders because they have a suitcase.

can you imagine the drunk group ? Just explain to the odd defensive linemen they need XL. 4 riders for me happens less than any 1, 2, or 3. Getting 4 super sized guys has happened to me 2x in 4 years that I can recall. It really isnt that common and just something we have to deal with. Big guys know they are big and lost of the time order accordingly.

UberBeemer

I'm not sure i agree with the excessive wear argument. They would have to be so big as to exceed the weight your car is rated for, which includes passengers and luggage.

One trip with four big guys isn't going to break your car. Its the cimulative miles and hours of operation and constant stop and go that puts the real stress on the machinery.

JohnnyBravo836

I can't tell if the problem is that taking four really big guys is "unsafe" and causes excessive wear and tear, or simply that we should be compensated extra for groups of more than two riders.

I checked the load limit for my car (a Camry): it's 900 lbs. After I subtract for me, that leaves roughly 700. So, yeah, four really big guys is excessive, since together they will almost certainly exceed the specified weight limit for many Uber X vehicles.

But if you're looking to get extra for taking over two riders in general, don't hold your breath waiting for Uber to see this one your way.

loophole

It is a safety issue, example being some small cars have a relatively low passenger MAX weight that could easily be exceeded with large group of baseball or players or morbidly obese.

JohnnyBravo836

Yes, I do believe there should be an extra charge for over two passengers. I also stand by my assessment that size matters :wink:
Ok, so if you want to be compensated extra for taking three college girls, that's a completely different issue than 4 big guys who challenge the weight limit of the vehicle.

But it's not going to happen. :wink:

sd1303

Your car has a maximum payload, in the neighborhood of 800-1200 lbs for sedans... 1000-1500 lbs for SUVs. There’s usually a sticker in the driver doorframe that will tell you.

If you feel that you will be exceeding the weight limit of your car, then refuse the ride or suggest that they split up into two cars. Be prepared for this conversation to not go well.

Or I suppose you can FIDO the ride (f-it, drive off) when you see the group waiting at the curb.

I think requiring that the custome enter the number of passengers is a decent suggestion. Then, allow the drivers to designate a maximum number of passengers that they are willing/able to take.

As far as a surcharge for extra pax... I’d certainly welcome the extra revenue, but it’s not likely to happen.

As a side note, Lyft recently stopped accepting new drivers with subcompact cars. I think that this helps solve some of the problem we’re discussing.

Last edited: