• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Mr. Police Does Not Like Purple.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
Lyft-Amp.jpg

Around 2am last night, I get a PAX going from Mississauga to Hamilton. That is a $50+ ride, no problem, I will take that 30 min ride.

Before heading back to the GTA, I figured, I'm at bar-close hours in the Hammer, might as well see if there are any pings on LYFT. It was wall-to-wall stacked surge pings, so good on ya, Hamilton. So I was going all over the place in town. Nice.

While I was stopped at a red light with one of my final pax of the night (well after 3am), a police officer rolls up beside me at a red light, and gives the the hand-signal to roll down my window.

When I do, he says, "It's against the law to display a purple light in your window, please remove that," gesturing to the AMP. I tell him that it is LYFT, a ride-sharecompany like UBER, and that they have a license to operate in Hamilton. He says, you can carry on, just lose the light. I put the light down in my cup holder, and carry on with PAX, both of us get a chuckle out of the situation.

After I dropped opp PAX, Immediate ping follows 2 minutes away. Back goes the light on the dashboard. I didn't see any more coppers that evening. But part of me thinks this is just poor education on behalf of the local constabulary. (obviously this officer has never driven down college or queen street in Toronto on a Saturday night where ever 6 cars has an AMP in the window...)

Unless there is something that I don't know about the Hamilton market? (I rarely drive there.)

evad77

My brother in law is a cop in peel and the reason I don’t have an amp or a beacon is because of the colour changes on the amp it can look like an emergency light. If you get a cop who’s in a bad mood you will get a ticket and lyft won’t help with it. You had a nice cop last night.

theonearmedman

Guess I wont be putting one on mine.

The pink sticker you can still see it in the dark if its on front window

Hamilton can be busy too and the traffic is not crazy like Toronto

epcjay

hTA says it's illegal if it's strobing/flashing. It's not illegal if it's just on.

Wonder how cabs get away with led boards on their roof though...

Last edited:

One Star

I think the cop was probably more concerned about the reflection causing a loss of night vision.
Advertising on the roof is not within the driver's field of view.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the cop was probably more concerned about the reflection causing a loss of night vision.
Advertising on the roof is not within the driver's field of view.
I cannot even see the reflection of the Lyft AMP in my own eyes, as it is abutted right up against the glass on the windscreen. But perhaps you are right and the police officer was making assumptions.

One Star

Since the cop specifically made mention of the purple colour, is it possible that it's a reference to something funeral related?
I know funeral processions do use purple lights on the hearses sometimes. Is there anything in the HTA that states that the colour can only be used in a funeral procession?

DougR

hTA says it's illegal if it's strobing/flashing. It's not illegal if it's just on.

Wonder how cabs get away with led boards on their roof though...
If you watch it close, as I do, on approach it does flash a few times every time. I question once in a while if the dark pink could be mistaken. I am always careful and have it within arms reach of me just in case it wants to get me into trouble.

I dont put the light on the pax side because if it decides to do a flashing light that could be mistaken I can reach it. On the pax side I cannot reach.