CROWBOY

Hi, my name is Steve. I'm moving to Statesville soon. Just trying to find more info on the area. Do I need any permits in any areas? Vehicle inspections? Not trying to step on any toes here. I've been an Uber and Lyft driver a long time. I know better than ask "where's the money?" and all the other stupid questions new drivers ask. Figured I would ask here before Uber switches my account prematurely. Im just doing this part time for now until I win my disability case. Anything else

Solid 5

Welcome!

Couple things right now, I can add later.

You can drive with Lyft right away. Uber, you have to wait until your license/registration/insurance gets approved. What I did was get mine done the day after I moved, and drove Lyft in the meantime. Sucks because Lyft is butt down here, but it's something. Took about a week.

Statesville is rather far from the action. I live in Cornelius and even that is 20-25 miles from Uptown. Statesville is a good 20 miles north of me, so you are looking at 50 miles to the airport or Uptown (friendly hint...NEVER call it Downtown LOL. Don't ask lol0l).

I moved here in June. Took awhile for me to get the hang of where to drive and what times.

CROWBOY

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lol, yeah. I'm familiar with switching markets with Uber. I'm from CT and would frequently switch between CT and Boston. I observed Statesville and it looks like a waste of time. I don't mind the commute to Charlotte, on Saturdays. Thanks for the heads up, I won't call it downtown.

dryverjohn

Lol, yeah. I'm familiar with switching markets with Uber. I'm from CT and would frequently switch between CT and Boston. I observed Statesville and it looks like a waste of time. I don't mind the commute to Charlotte, on Saturdays. Thanks for the heads up, I won't call it downtown.
There is actually gold in Statesville, but I am going to let you find it on your own. Timing is everything, and there are drivers that hit that market all the time from southern areas. Gas is also super cheap there. I just paid $2.29 a gallon at a shell station. You will also be the only driver in Statesville, most of the time so expect a lot of requests. Your only competition is a shitty cab service whose drivers don't even have gps. Your best tips are going to be in the trailer parks, so don't shy away from pickups or deliveries there. Number one destination I would expect will be from local hotels to Scores, gentlemens club, about a 12-15 mile ride on the weekends.

CROWBOY

There is actually gold in Statesville, but I am going to let you find it on your own. Timing is everything, and there are drivers that hit that market all the time from southern areas. Gas is also super cheap there. I just paid $2.29 a gallon at a shell station. You will also be the only driver in Statesville, most of the time so expect a lot of requests. Your only competition is a shitty cab service whose drivers don't even have gps. Your best tips are going to be in the trailer parks, so don't shy away from pickups or deliveries there. Number one destination I would expect will be from local hotels to Scores, gentlemens club, about a 12-15 mile ride on the weekends.
I spoke with a family friend that tried Statesville, so I might try it for shits and giggles but I got all the info I need on it and it's not going to be my uber spot. Thank you though.

TwoFiddyMile

Statesville is a former industrial town. I used to have a contract with Freightliner to transport their new truck transporters.
It's a shit town. Heroin and welfare. Freightliner is 12 miles east in Cleveland. Cleveland is a one horse town.
The very thought of trying to survive Statesville driving professionally makes me crave dope.

CROWBOY

Statesville is a former industrial town. I used to have a contract with Freightliner to transport their new truck transporters.
It's a shit town. Heroin and welfare. Freightliner is 12 miles east in Cleveland. Cleveland is a one horse town.
The very thought of trying to survive Statesville driving professionally makes me crave dope.
Lol, its nice where im moving to, but I've seen what you're talking about.

TwoFiddyMile

Troutman on the other hand looks good. Rural. Can buy a minifarm for $80,000.
Not so sure about "Whiteway Church". Makes me a little nervous.

True story about Cleveland NC. They used to have a BBQ joint just south of the truck yard. Good pulled pork.
The young waitresses were cool.
There was this old redneck battleaxe who wouldn't serve me (Boston accent).
I'd sit at a table. "BBQ Sandwich for here, please".
She'd ask "to go?"
I'd say "here please".
"I'll wrap it to go..."

And she did, three separate times. I paid for it, grabbed it, took it back to the table I was at, ate it, left a dollar tip (I never tip only a buck).
ALL THREE TIMES.

dryverjohn

Troutman on the other hand looks good. Rural. Can buy a minifarm for $80,000.
Not so sure about "Whiteway Church". Makes me a little nervous.

True story about Cleveland NC. They used to have a BBQ joint just south of the truck yard. Good pulled pork.
The young waitresses were cool.
There was this old redneck battleaxe who wouldn't serve me (Boston accent).
I'd sit at a table. "BBQ Sandwich for here, please".
She'd ask "to go?"
I'd say "here please".
"I'll wrap it to go..."

And she did, three separate times. I paid for it, grabbed it, took it back to the table I was at, ate it, left a dollar tip (I never tip only a buck).
ALL THREE TIMES.
I think things have changed at the truck yard since you were last there. They are now ubering from CLT to Statesville on Company account, not freightliner, last 10-12 miles taxi guy up there hits them for $35 for every butt in a seat. He waits until full and then makes $140 for each run, you do the math, but he is killing it. There is no account, drivers are using company credit card to pay the cabbie.

TwoFiddyMile

I think things have changed at the truck yard since you were last there. They are now ubering from CLT to Statesville on Company account, not freightliner, last 10-12 miles taxi guy up there hits them for $35 for every butt in a seat. He waits until full and then makes $140 for each run, you do the math, but he is killing it. There is no account, drivers are using company credit card to pay the cabbie.
Yes indeed. The very reason I left Crown Cab was the dishonoring of the contract AutoTruck had with them for ScabUber.
I made 75% of my living transporting those ingrates. The last year I did it, half the drivers were rude and hostile that I wasn't Uber.
One can only take so much.
Been Yellow almost two years now. Not getting rich, but I don't lick anyones boots for crumbs.

dryverjohn

Yes, the drivers are not happy about the $35 fee per seat, but they pay it. Can't you go up and just do it for $30 a head?

TwoFiddyMile

Yes, the drivers are not happy about the $35 fee per seat, but they pay it. Can't you go up and just do it for $30 a head?
Not without a van, and a minimum number of riders. I have bitter memories of how AutoTruck dealt crown cab and drivers like me.
If I ever made that move I'd set up my corporation in statesville.