Moving to Orlando from LA good pay wise?

Move to Orlando or Jacksonville?

• Total voters

Kemo1

I been driving both Uber and Lyft in the Greater LA Market for about 3 years now and I’m looking for a cheaper and easier life because paying $2,000 rent for a 2 bedroom is getting pricey here. I see Orlando and Jacksonville as options since rent is cheap but how is ridehsaring pay? I do it full time 40-50 hours weekly earning around $1,300 not including bonuses which range from $50 to $395. Can you live comfortably in any of the mention cities and have enough to get by or not really? I been to both and most drivers I spoke to only drive weekends and make $200 bucks during nights so it doesn’t help when it comes to advise.

New Uber

I been driving both Uber and Lyft in the Greater LA Market for about 3 years now and I’m looking for a cheaper and easier life because paying $2,000 rent for a 2 bedroom is getting pricey here. I see Orlando and Jacksonville as options since rent is cheap but how is ridehsaring pay? I do it full time 40-50 hours weekly earning around $1,300 not including bonuses which range from $50 to $395. Can you live comfortably in any of the mention cities and have enough to get by or not really? I been to both and most drivers I spoke to only drive weekends and make $200 bucks during nights so it doesn’t help when it comes to advise.
No No No No No No!

Jacksonville is more affordable than Orlando. Although if you do move to Orlando because yes there are jobs available here. Get a real job here. There is NO WAY to make a profit with Uber here. Nope Nope Nope. Nope.

Bob Reynolds

Orlando is a wonderful place to live. However it is a terrible place to try to make money as a Lyft or Uber driver. Orlando has the lowest rates in the country.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

You won't pull $1300 a week doing uber/lyft here. Not on any kind of reliable fashion. Between that and the "new surge" looking like it's going to spread prospects of doing uber/lyft here are bad with a grim future.

$400 might be possible on the weekend, but personally i suspect you need to drive 500 miles on a $50,000 SUV to pull those kind of numbers, in which case your expenses are pushing $200 to make $400.

You will put in much more miles to make less money compared to anywhere else. This area is rediculously spread out.

12125 high tech ave, Orlando

The double tree hotel by UCF. An area with high demand for uber.

10100 international drive Orlando

The double tree hotel by Sea world. Dead center of the tourist area.\

This fare isn't even a $20.00 payout for uberX after tolls, it it's almost 30 miles

these 2 addresses are 28.9 MILES away by car, and both are in Orlando, and are over 28 miles away. We aren't even to the areas that are really to the middle of nowhere either.
The rates suck.png

Less than $20 for a half hour drive {minus tolls}. That's what your really looking at doing uber/lyft. And that's a fare that is on the high end of normal that isn't even going to the middle of nowhere.

Add in bad traffic and it takes a half an hour longer and pays $2.20 more (not joking either)

The average fare pays out something like $5-6.00 for 20 minutes average time (acceptance to dropoff) plus time waiting for the ping. Anything over $10.00 is a rarity compared to the glut of min fares that are everywhere. $3.00 for 15 minutes worth of work minus expenses is a kick to the gonads, nothing more.

Yes rent is cheap, but so pay. Min wage here is $8.25 an hour. Min wage in Cali is $11.00 an hour.

My advice is to get a tipped job in the tourist areas. Honestly... i would try for waiter/bartender out at a restaurant near disney/universal studios. Really the tourist area stretches kinda between the two.

Really any min wage (that isn't DIRECTLY in the theme parks) is a huge step up compared to uber.

Working in the theme parks themselves.. those jobs virtually all suck big time.

touberornottouber

You make $1300 a week, "not including bonuses" driving 40 hours a week over there and you want to come to Florida??!?!

LOL! NO! Stay over there. It's like $500 a week for driving 40 hours here. And the rents aren't all that much cheaper than what you are paying over there.

In fact, I'd KILL to make $1300 a week plus bonuses for 40 hours driving and to pay a $2000 a month rent. Sure your rent is double mine but so is your weekly pay. Hell sometimes your weekly pay is TRIPLE mine!

roadrunner70

I live in Las Vegas right now, but I have lived in Orlando and So Cal. I drive for Uber full time in LV right now.

If you want to leave SoCal, come to LV. Don't go to FL. First, although traffic in LV can be bad, it's nothing like Orlando. You can make money here, and the cost of living is about the same as Orlando. Gas is cheaper in FL, but rent in LV for comparable apartments is a little less.

I left FL because it has gone so far down hill. I don't want to get political, but you are better off in NV than you are in FL.

I think your income in LV will be a little less working those hours, but you will save money on living expenses, so it will be a net raise. No, I don't actively ask drivers to come to the market I am working in, but I have to say something when I see someone trying to go to FL. Don't do it. Don't make that mistake.

I used to love living in Orlando. It was amazing. Not anymore. They have done so little to widen and add new roads that traffic is unnecessarily bad, and it's that way throughout the state. Also, don't forget tolls. They add up quickly. When I drove in Orlando from 2014 to 2016, tolls were usually $100 a week. Yes, half were paid by the riders, but the other half were paid by me.

One more thing. When I drove in Orlando, the afternoon was completely dead. If you want to make money in Orlando, or at least try, you have to work mornings, go home, and then work again in the late afternoon/evening.

Last edited:

autofill

I live in Las Vegas right now, but I have lived in Orlando and So Cal. I drive for Uber full time in LV right now.

If you want to leave SoCal, come to LV. Don't go to FL. First, although traffic in LV can be bad, it's nothing like Orlando. You can make money here, and the cost of living is about the same as Orlando. Gas is cheaper in FL, but rent in LV for comparable apartments is a little less.

I left FL because it has gone so far down hill. I don't want to get political, but you are better off in NV than you are in FL.

I think your income in LV will be a little less working those hours, but you will save money on living expenses, so it will be a net raise. No, I don't actively ask drivers to come to the market I am working in, but I have to say something when I see someone trying to go to FL. Don't do it. Don't make that mistake.

I used to love living in Orlando. It was amazing. Not anymore. They have done so little to widen and add new roads that traffic is unnecessarily bad, and it's that way throughout the state. Also, don't forget tolls. They add up quickly. When I drove in Orlando from 2014 to 2016, tolls were usually $100 a week. Yes, half were paid by the riders, but the other half were paid by me.

One more thing. When I drove in Orlando, the afternoon was completely dead. If you want to make money in Orlando, or at least try, you have to work mornings, go home, and then work again in the late afternoon/evening.
Orlando highways are under major reconstruction right now. Check it out: https://i4ultimate.com/news-media-resources/renderings/

HotUberMess

If you like earning lowest rates in the nation not only for driving Uber but also for every other job, then by all means come here. We’d love to hear one more transplant moan about high real estate and low pay! 53.8 cents/mile, 8 cents/min.

Seriously stay out of Florida if you’re looking for good pay. Go work on an oil rig in North Dakota, they’re desperate.

PS real estate has gone insane in the last few months. A studio apt right now is averaging $1025. A studio.

PPS I-4 is the deadliest highway in the nation.

Last edited:

Stevie The magic Unicorn

yeah...

This is sad but true...

roadrunner70

OMG. In Las Vegas it's $350. That should tell you everything you need to know about driving in Orlando.

Orlando highways are under major reconstruction right now. Check it out: https://i4ultimate.com/news-media-resources/renderings/
The problem with I-4 Ultimate is that the land was purchased in the 1960's with federal (public) money. They should have started widening I-4 in the 80's, but the politicians held out until a private company came along with a big enough bag of money to pay them off. Now, we have a "public/private partnership" that will not actually widen I-4. They will simply put toll lanes in the middle, which will have little effect on reducing traffic for the 99 percent. The one percenters will love it, but for the average person it will not result in any time savings in their commute.

Then, when you consider this is a 50 to 60 year mistake, Orlando is really screwed.

But wait, there's more...the current project is just from Kirkman to 434 in Longwood. Over the next 10 years they will do the exact same thing from Kirkman south to Haines City. It's BS, and the average Floridian is too ignorant to see what is being done.

If you want to see how a road should be built, come to LV. Again, LV is by no means perfect. It's not even close. I promise you, though, that our roads are designed without tolls and to maximize traffic flow. I had no idea how highways should be designed until I moved here. Google "collector-distributor road" to see what I mean.

Again, I don't think LV is perfect. It's far from it. We have many of the same problems that Orlando has, and some that are unique to us. I just don't think roads are as big a problem here, and it matters a lot to me since I drive so much. Las Vegas is proactive when it comes to infrastructure. We actually vote in favor of taxing gas to fund projects. That would never happen in Florida, and if you live there you get to spend a lot more of your life sitting in traffic because of it.

autofill

OMG. In Las Vegas it's $350. That should tell you everything you need to know about driving in Orlando.

The problem with I-4 Ultimate is that the land was purchased in the 1960's with federal (public) money. They should have started widening I-4 in the 80's, but the politicians held out until a private company came along with a big enough bag of money to pay them off. Now, we have a "public/private partnership" that will not actually widen I-4. They will simply put toll lanes in the middle, which will have little effect on reducing traffic for the 99 percent. The one percenters will love it, but for the average person it will not result in any time savings in their commute.

Then, when you consider this is a 50 to 60 year mistake, Orlando is really screwed.

But wait, there's more...the current project is just from Kirkman to 434 in Longwood. Over the next 10 years they will do the exact same thing from Kirkman south to Haines City. It's BS, and the average Floridian is too ignorant to see what is being done.

If you want to see how a road should be built, come to LV. Again, LV is by no means perfect. It's not even close. I promise you, though, that our roads are designed without tolls and to maximize traffic flow. I had no idea how highways should be designed until I moved here. Google "collector-distributor road" to see what I mean.

Again, I don't think LV is perfect. It's far from it. We have many of the same problems that Orlando has, and some that are unique to us. I just don't think roads are as big a problem here, and it matters a lot to me since I drive so much. Las Vegas is proactive when it comes to infrastructure. We actually vote in favor of taxing gas to fund projects. That would never happen in Florida, and if you live there you get to spend a lot more of your life sitting in traffic because of it.
Somehow Orlando still ranked better than LV to drive in but way worst for safety as I-4 is considered one of the deadliest highways in the US.
https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst-cities-to-drive-in/13964/

roadrunner70

Somehow Orlando still ranked better than LV to drive in but way worst for safety as I-4 is considered one of the deadliest highways in the US.
https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst-cities-to-drive-in/13964/
This is how they came to their conclusion - https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst-cities-to-drive-in/13964/#methodology

They factor in insurance rates and cost of gas. I don't think those should be factors, as well as a few others they list.

Insurance in NV costs more than twice as much as it did in FL. In FL I had a million dollar policy for less than half of what I pay for a $100,000/$300,000 policy. Gas is also cheaper in FL.

HotUberMess

That ranking is so far off, I question the entire list.

I’ve lived in New York City, Duluth, and West Palm Beach. I’ve driven extensively in all of those plus Miami, Daytona (visiting family) and many cross-country trips because I travel a lot.

Orlando is one of the worst. I’d say that data is probably old. Like a decade old. Especially the part about infrastructure since one of the reasons I-4 is so deadly is the construction.

autofill

That ranking is so far off, I question the entire list.

I’ve lived in New York City, Duluth, and West Palm Beach. I’ve driven extensively in all of those plus Miami, Daytona (visiting family) and many cross-country trips because I travel a lot.

Orlando is one of the worst. I’d say that data is probably old. Like a decade old. Especially the part about infrastructure since one of the reasons I-4 is so deadly is the construction.
This is how they came to their conclusion - https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst-cities-to-drive-in/13964/#methodology

They factor in insurance rates and cost of gas. I don't think those should be factors, as well as a few others they list.

Insurance in NV costs more than twice as much as it did in FL. In FL I had a million dollar policy for less than half of what I pay for a $100,000/$300,000 policy. Gas is also cheaper in FL.
Here’s another list that ranked the most congested traffic in the world, Las Vegas ranked 121 and Orlando at 142.
https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/trafficindex/list?citySize=LARGE&continent=ALL&country=ALL