Moving to NYC

Inshur

Ba3

Hello everyone. I am from Florida and planning to move NYC to do UBER.I drive a 2010 Lincoln Town car and hoping to use it.I'm just wondering if it's a good idea.any suggestions or advice Wil b greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

marcusguber

The NYC market isnt like other Uber markets, there is a bunch of regualtion on all levels. 1st thing you would need is a TLC license and then you would have to look into getting TLC plates and commercial insurance on your car.

Ba3

Thanks marcusguber that was very helpful. Uber market in Orlando is one of the worst.the rates r really low and a lot of dead miles.I'm eying NYC and San Francisco. One of them hopefully. Just driving wise I believe new York could b a bit challenging at the beginning.thanks again.

marcusguber

Thanks marcusguber that was very helpful. Uber market in Orlando is one of the worst.the rates r really low and a lot of dead miles.I'm eying NYC and San Francisco. One of them hopefully. Just driving wise I believe new York could b a bit challenging at the beginning.thanks again.

NYC appears lucrative but realize I rent a car with the proper plates and insurance at a cost of $400 a week, you basically start the week in a hole. You could always look into TLC plates for your car but its kind of old and terrible on gas compared to the Camrys and Sonatas that are pretty much the UberX car of choice in NYC. Plus it has to be in good shape to pass TLC inspection in NYC.

Ba3

OK since I have my own car all I need is my TLC license and commercial insurance. The TLC plate is kind a confusing me.Tnx again.

alextheboss

Are you looking to move somewhere with the main reason to move being uber? If that's the case you will run out of places to move since uber is on a race to the bottom with rates....and $1.75/mile is not really $1.75/mile

Montgomery

Are you looking to move somewhere with the main reason to move being uber? If that's the case you will run out of places to move since uber is on a race to the bottom with rates....and $1.75/mile is not really $1.75/mile

This is the main thing OP should be concerned about. OP remember that Uber not only drops the rates but they do so with barely 24 hrs advance notice. That's how they did it here last January. If you are a single guy moving to NYC with no debt, yes you can afford a small apartment in the outer boroughs, or just a bedroom in some parts of Manhattan. But if they cut the rates further even that will be tough. That's why I hesitate to tell people to jump right into it.

Last edited:

Uberman8263

Moving to NY just to work for uber is not a wise choice. The cost of living is very high. The higher rates that uber drivers make are misleading. The sales tax alone is almost 9%. The stress of driving in NYC is off the charts. My son lives in Boca Raton. When we go down to visit it takes me a few days to remember that you can make a right on red. When I fail to do this, no one behind me starts blasting his horn and getting hot and bothered, they just wait for the light to change. In NYC when the light turns green if you fail to race ahead people lose it. In NYC if you stop to let a school bus discharge its passengers they blow there horns. Unless you are born into this insanity stay away.

Ba3

Thank you guys.just want to say thart every advice,input or help u guys offer is very much appreciated. I'm single no kids only take classes online just two which is not too much.my car payment is 260 a month it's a Lincoln 2010 with 140000 miles great condition and it's black in black.so my big question is .is 1000 doable after taking all the expenses.working 50 or 60 hours is normal for me.with the same hours here if I'm lucky and with surge and uber select I struggle to make 500 .sometimes have to drive 140 150 miles to make $100.

Ltagrr4

Yes it's doable. maybe you can even add another 400-500 more to that total. BUT once you learn the system. Before that subtract 300 from your goal.

Reactions: Ba3

RoboMcUber

At last count there's about 150k TLC licensee's and most have kicked goober
in the @ss to move on to other things and there's a 100+ cabs on every block,
even though the TLC exam could be passed by a 4th grade dropout it's still
somehow very hard for a lot of people, reasons unknown the whole process
takes about 3 months, factoring in the cost of living the $$$ hyped by Goober
is about the same as working 2 min wage jobs off the books

Here's a list of cuts out of what you earn: Goober's fee 25% to 28%
Black car fund 2.25%
Sales Tax 8.15%
City Tax ?
State Tax ?
Federal Tax ?
NYPD's cut ? alternative for not paying is suspension/revocation/jail
TLC's cut ? suspension/revocation/double to triple fines aka shut up
and pay or plead your case and pay more

So right out of the gate take out 35.4% at the very least then the rest of the expenses
you will find out tax filing time or when you know what the game is all about here
in NY after 12 months, there's a guy on FB who's actually a Goober recruiter/launcher
posing as a Goober driver he's always posting how much he earns and all the Nubers
lap it up and think it's true

Uberman8263

At last count there's about 150k TLC licensee's and most have kicked goober
in the @ss to move on to other things and there's a 100+ cabs on every block,
even though the TLC exam could be passed by a 4th grade dropout it's still
somehow very hard for a lot of people, reasons unknown the whole process
takes about 3 months, factoring in the cost of living the $$$ hyped by Goober
is about the same as working 2 min wage jobs off the books

Here's a list of cuts out of what you earn: Goober's fee 25% to 28%
Black car fund 2.25%
Sales Tax 8.15%
City Tax ?
State Tax ?
Federal Tax ?
NYPD's cut ? alternative for not paying is suspension/revocation/jail
TLC's cut ? suspension/revocation/double to triple fines aka shut up
and pay or plead your case and pay more

So right out of the gate take out 35.4% at the very least then the rest of the expenses
you will find out tax filing time or when you know what the game is all about here
in NY after 12 months, there's a guy on FB who's actually a Goober recruiter/launcher
posing as a Goober driver he's always posting how much he earns and all the Nubers
lap it up and think it's true
As Ringo Starr said: It don't come easy.

Inshur New York