1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Moving to NYC

Discussion in 'New York City' started by salsaverde77, Jan 14, 2019 at 6:53 AM.

1. salsaverde77

salsaverde77

Hello all,
    A recent opportunity has come up in my life to be able to move back to NYC, the only difference being that I work for Uber now. A cheap place with private parking. I drive in the D.C. region and am wondering what are the steps I have to take before moving their.

I currently have a 2014 Prius and am aware that I need to get a TLC license before I start driving their.
    A couple of questions I have:

- When you pass the TLC course, do you get your license and plates at the same time?
    - Can I take the test before moving their?
    - Do I have to pay insurance for a TLC, if so how much? What if I already have insurance?
    - Since I already have a car, I can just get TLC plates for that car, correct?

Any other information you guys could give me in the process you had to go through. Time and money isn't an issue so whatever info you can give helps.
    Thanks

2. Cjoey

Cjoey

You can get your tlc license but you cant get tlc plates there is a cap in place. If u want to drive in nyc you have to rent a car.

THE_TRAN$PORTER and 1974toyota like this.
  3. salsaverde77

salsaverde77

Even if I have a car? That's dumb

4. iacgnuy

iacgnuy

1) no
    2) no
    3) yes.. Need special TLC insurance to drive for hire here
    4) Just couple months too late

THE_TRAN$PORTER likes this.
  5. salsaverde77

salsaverde77

how much does it cost to rent a car their on average? say like a prius or something, plus tlc insurance?

6. jerseyboys

jerseyboys

Driving:
    UberBLACK

$300 plus a week and includes insurance.

7. salsaverde77

salsaverde77

I just came across some of Uber's participating dealers that you can rent through that have plates and insurance included in the price. Does anyone do one of those, is that around a $400/week?

8. jerseyboys

jerseyboys

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    I would go to an individual owner instead of dealers. Look on craigslist. TONS of TLC cars for rentals. $350 would get you a Camry. The defacto for NYC TLC Uber car.

9. An opportunity to hate your life. NYC sucks for poor folks.

If you rich NYC its cool ....to visit:D....cuz of the night life but other than that NYC is ugly old over crowded expensive trash ....and F all its over regulated BS policies.

10. salsaverde77

salsaverde77

how much does tlc insurance run you, is that per week as well or per month. thanks

11. FuberNYC

FuberNYC

Holy cow...another one?

12. jerseyboys

jerseyboys

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    agree 100%. Very overrated.

The charm is long lost gone. It's just a high price strip mall. sad. As someone who is native.

13. Suism

Suism

I'd stay out lmao look into NJ but stay away from NYC. It's the belly of the beast, a very unprofitable one.

14. Mikemike88

Mikemike88

I'm thinking about quitting even though I own my car with TLC plate

I can't imagine anyone making money with a rented car. It's virtually impossible now unless you really want to slave 7 days a week

15. salsaverde77

salsaverde77

I hear most drivers in NYC average $1500/ week, if that's the case do you consider that poor?

Ben321 likes this.
  16. Bluefox30

Bluefox30

17. theitalian

theitalian

Driving:
    UberX
    You heard....correct. Did you have ever seen proofs.... statements? People vent a lot....and now many guys complaints. It's definitely from September 2016 that Uber is slow except a couple of days per year.

wallae likes this.
  18. Ben321

Ben321

Driving:
    UberX
    You should look into renting out a Black on black Suburban i think i saw a deal for $450 recently somewhere so you can do higher end rides SUV/BLACK, you should even look up UberMike youtube page and he will get you going on how to make 1k invoice a day.

SpeedracerX likes this.
  19. theitalian

theitalian

Driving:
    UberX
    Stop trolling...you end up like your friend uberprodriver that promotes that predator rental called tower.

20. Ben321

Ben321

Driving:
    UberX
    I don't promote anything foo, just trying to give the newbie some advice