Moving to MN from DC, need help.

Genius021

Hello, i very glad to see this forum. It is very usefull.
I live in DC metro area. I am willing to move to twin cities. And need ur advice. If i work here 70 hours i can make 120-130 ride and easily earn 1.700-2000$ (to my pocket, expences included) u wanted to know about business in twin cities. Will it be almost the same? Im not about earnings, important is how many rides can i complete daily or weekly if work 10-14 hours a day. How often u catch a ride. Is it possible to sit online and not to catch a ride long time? Thanks a lot

Scorpion12

Minnesota welcome everyone, but why are you willing to move here, if you like snow and tough winter...you are welcome.
On average you can get 2 rides per hour.

Genius021

No offense but stay in DC we have enough drivers here.
Thank u for your hospitality. But im not coming to your home lol

Minnesota welcome everyone, but why are you willing to move here, if you like snow and tough winter...you are welcome.
On average you can get 2 rides per hour.
Thank you. Yes i love cold weather. And i d heard that MN people are very kind and polite. They love helping one another. I d like to see that society.

And please can anyone let me know whats lyfts weekly promotion? Or just provide a photo. Demands for peak rides and total rides. And is it still 10% and 20 % there?

rideshareMN

careful about comparing these markets...DC offers quest, etc. those are more rare in MPLS than albino unicorns; lyft's weekly promotions are completely out of touch here, nearly impossible to achieve unless you plant your butt downtown or uptown for 10+ hours a day

PBD this week is:
90% accept
25 "peak" (which is impossible for me, and I would think difficult for a FT driver)
40 total

also, to achieve 90% would entail accepting some really iffy PAX as there are many Lyft PAX that are really bad news (i'm guessing they were kicked off uber platform)

Genius021

careful about comparing these markets...DC offers quest, etc. those are more rare in MPLS than albino unicorns; lyft's weekly promotions are completely out of touch here, nearly impossible to achieve unless you plant your butt downtown or uptown for 10+ hours a day

PBD this week is:
90% accept
25 "peak" (which is impossible for me, and I would think difficult for a FT driver)
40 total

also, to achieve 90% would entail accepting some really iffy PAX as there are many Lyft PAX that are really bad news (i'm guessing they were kicked off uber platform)
Thanks a lot for giving me details about that. If hit 25 peak and 40 total and 90 %acceptance whats the bonus for that? And working FT a week (daily 12-14 hours) how many ride is possible complete? Thanks again

Birchum

And i d heard that MN people are very kind and polite. They love helping one another. I d like to see that society.

That's funny, I've always heard that we're passive-aggressive and only superficially nice. You must be thinking of the Norwegian Lutherans. You'll be in for a culture shock if that's who you're expecting "we" are.

That's funny, I've always heard that we're passive-aggressive and only superficially nice. You must be thinking of the Norwegian Lutherans. You'll be in for a culture shock if that's who you're expecting "we" are.
That is so painfully true. My mother's side is 50% Swedish, 50% Norwegian, 100% Lutheran and easily the most painfully "MN nice" people you could meet.

Nice to your face then gossip about you behind your back. Ok, so not everyone... there are plenty of very nice people in MN/ND/SD/IA. Compared to DC it may even be Utopia-like.

ThanksUber

Nice to your face then gossip about you behind your back. Ok, so not everyone... there are plenty of very nice people in MN/ND/SD/IA. Compared to DC it may even be Utopia-like.

Nice to see you left out Wisconsin on you list. Anyway the best day for Ubering is on 10/15. It's when a bunch of mean people from Wisconsin come over and watch the Packers beat the Vikings at US bank stadium, and if the Packers lose you get to drive them around and listen to them whine. :smiles:

But honestly driving in Minneapolis is a hard and I should know I started driving in California. When it gets cold here less people move around. I was never a full time driver here or in Cali, but I don't think you will make close to what you were making in DC. I think main problem here is not enough customers to support the ride share business. The other big problem is there is short pockets of times around events or rush hour when you can make money and this is the biggest difference driving between Minneapolis and Cali. The business is steady in Cali and here it is not. I'm guessing that Cali and DC would be similar.

I also don't want this post to burst your bubble, but honestly I would plan on making less money here. The only upside is that it cost less to live here.

Genius021

Nice to see you left out Wisconsin on you list. Anyway the best day for Ubering is on 10/15. It's when a bunch of mean people from Wisconsin come over and watch the Packers beat the Vikings at US bank stadium, and if the Packers lose you get to drive them around and listen to them whine. :smiles:

But honestly driving in Minneapolis is a hard and I should know I started driving in California. When it gets cold here less people move around. I was never a full time driver here or in Cali, but I don't think you will make close to what you were making in DC. I think main problem here is not enough customers to support the ride share business. The other big problem is there is short pockets of times around events or rush hour when you can make money and this is the biggest difference driving between Minneapolis and Cali. The business is steady in Cali and here it is not. I'm guessing that Cali and DC would be similar.

I also don't want this post to burst your bubble, but honestly I would plan on making less money here. The only upside is that it cost less to live here.
Thanks a lot. That was valuable information for me. You cool

Curmudg

Thanks a lot. That was valuable information for me. You cool

Wanna stay busy? Work towards downtown Minneapolis - Uptown (just southwest of downtown) - Northeast (just north of downtown Minneapolis (East of 94 - very important - West of 94 is North Minneapolis, that's not probably your target area).

South Minneapolis from airport to downtown should keep ya pretty busy (and U of M when in session, just East of downtown Minneapolis).

Oh yeah, and get winter tires. Keep ya from slip sliding all over the place, and from getting stuck. Dec 1st thru March 1st, very roughly.

Genius021

Wanna stay busy? Work towards downtown Minneapolis - Uptown (just southwest of downtown) - Northeast (just north of downtown Minneapolis (East of 94 - very important - West of 94 is North Minneapolis, that's not probably your target area).

South Minneapolis from airport to downtown should keep ya pretty busy (and U of M when in session, just East of downtown Minneapolis).

Oh yeah, and get winter tires. Keep ya from slip sliding all over the place, and from getting stuck. Dec 1st thru March 1st, very roughly.
Thank you