• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Moving to Greenville NC

mountan

I’m moving from Raleigh to the outer banks and would still like to drive on weekends. Greenville NC looks like best place. Does anyone drive in Greenville NC and what can I make driving early mornings on the weekends.

grayspinner

I didn't say the outerbanks would be good.

I simply don't think the money to be made in Greenville is going to be worth the cost of the drive there.

Nor do I think it's worth it to drive to Raleigh or Fayetteville or other areas of NC from the rural areas.

Ptuberdriver

Its not as much as u think. I drive in Greenville and with all the ANTS out here on the weekends u will lose money driving from the outer banks to gville. Ur best bet is Elizabeth city, or Jacksonville.

On the weekend i will make about $100 for both days from 9pm-2am.

Last edited:

ubie1kanubie

Its not as much as u think. I drive in Greenville and with all the ANTS out here on the weekends u will lose money driving from the outer banks to gville. Ur best bet is Elizabeth city, or Jacksonville.

On the weekend i will make about $100 for both days from 9pm-2am.
Is that during school or summer?

ubie1kanubie

I may be one of the ANT you are talking about... So how do you officially not be an ANT in Greenville? Greenville is only so big and there are only so many places we can go. I do try to position myself away from others when I notice a swarm but again, there are only so many places you can go. I am noticing that starting before 10pm on weekends is getting me nowhere except out of the house. I agree, summer is only about $100 after factoring in gas/depreciation on weekends so definitely not worth driving here. On a side note: The cops are becoming ridiculous in the downtown area. You would think they would appreciate the fact we are driving the drunks home and they aren't on the roads driving. <sigh>

RDUberDrvr

So how do you officially not be an ANT in Greenville?
Same as anyplace else...don't go online. Once you get in your car and tap the "Go" button, you're officially an ant. Doesn't matter if you've been a driver for 4 years or 4 days. Doesn't matter if you're circling a campus looking for rides or waiting at the RDU lot. Doesn't matter if there's a surge or not. Honestly, I don't understand why drivers refer to other drivers as ants. As soon as that little icon representing your car shows up in the rider's app, you're an ant, too.

ncnealncn

This term has always confused me too. It's a derogatory term for someone who drives rideshare. Aren't we all ants? How is one different than the rest? Can someone define it please?

ubie1kanubie

Same as anyplace else...don't go online. Once you get in your car and tap the "Go" button, you're officially an ant. Doesn't matter if you've been a driver for 4 years or 4 days. Doesn't matter if you're circling a campus looking for rides or waiting at the RDU lot. Doesn't matter if there's a surge or not. Honestly, I don't understand why drivers refer to other drivers as ants. As soon as that little icon representing your car shows up in the rider's app, you're an ant, too.
Post automatically merged:

LOL RDU. That was kind of my confusion. Didn't we sign on to Uber to drive? I honestly do not pick and choose. I signed on to drive people where they need to go. I have a hybrid so it doesn't cost me a lot to drive anyway. I don't know, perhaps I am still too new.

This term has always confused me too. It's a derogatory term for someone who drives rideshare. Aren't we all ants? How is one different than the rest? Can someone define it please?
I guess in Greenville, we have no choice but to be ants....

Last edited:

Rittz19007

LOL RDU. That was kind of my confusion. Didn't we sign on to Uber to drive? I honestly do not pick and choose. I signed on to drive people where they need to go. I have a hybrid so it doesn't cost me a lot to drive anyway. I don't know, perhaps I am still too new.

I guess in Greenville, we have no choice but to be ants....
Its 1:50 am on a Saturday You get a non surge request If you accept You may be a ant But hey Im sure most of us thought like you at first Give it a year If your still here I dont think you will

ncnealncn

So the derogatory term "ant" is only effective during surge times. Since Uber has killed the surge 99% of the time then the term ant is only relevant 1% of the time.

I have been driving long enough to remember the old surge and I've had $100 dollar rides. Uber has killed the surge most of the time. I don't often see the point in waiting for the flat rate to go from $2 to $4.

Rittz19007

So the derogatory term "ant" is only effective during surge times. Since Uber has killed the surge 99% of the time then the term ant is only relevant 1% of the time.

I have been driving long enough to remember the old surge and I've had $100 dollar rides. Uber has killed the surge most of the time. I don't often see the point in waiting for the flat rate to go

I have been driving long enough to remember the old surge and I've had $100 dollar rides. Uber has killed the surge most of the time. I don't often see the point in waiting for the flat rate to go from $2 to $4.
I got a $12 last sat and a $16 and $18 the week before So while your doing your 4 buck surge to wake forest Im doing a $18 2 miles down the road

I got a $12 last sat and a $16 and $18 the week before So while your doing your 4 buck surge to wake forest Im doing a $18 2 miles down the road

RaleighUber

When ant first came in it I think it referred to the swarm of new drivers clogging the roads, like "ants." They were the folks providing new service, taking away surge, etc. All are ants initially.

But I think the forum has evolved to understand the ant is the one who does uber the way uber wants you to do it. Making very minimal money, accepting all pings, doing every ride, waiting, not understanding mileage costs, etc. IF you stay that way, you stay an ant. If you work the system as best you can, fighting uber for every penny, not waisting money or time...you are a rideshare driver.

You are poor! :smiles: