1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Mourning The Loss Of The Good (?) Ship Uber. Time to Abandon?

Discussion in 'Stories' started by The Gift of Fish, Dec 5, 2018.

?
  1. Yeah, I'm done

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. No, I trust Captain Khucarachi to steer this good ship to safer waters

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Dunno

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. When the Titanic started to go down and the abandon ship order came through, I imagine that everyone resigned themselves to their fate and got on with it. I doubt that anyone decided to stay with the ship, thinking that it was about to bob back up in the water at any minute and start steaming ahead again.

The modern-day sister ship to the Titanic in spirit, the good (?) ship Uber, has now flooded up to the bridge deck. With the latest pay cut cynically disguised as balancing per-mile and per-minute rates, the water level is going to go even higher. The lights are flickering off and on, more off than on now, and a lot more drivers are going to call it a day and abandon ship. For me personally, yet another 10% - 20% pay cut from Uber is out of the question and I will be looking for a job starting in January. I had seen this coming for a few years; at least three, so it comes as no surprise. And in a way I am glad; this last pay cut was what it took to finally tip me out of my complacency.

The question is why are people mourning this ship going down? Isn't it a case of it was good (kind of) while it lasted and now it's time to move on? Why is everyone so gloomy about the loss of viability of Uber for drivers when the economy is booming right now?

The question of this poll that I have, though, is whether this latest pay cut is going to be what it takes for Uber to finally convince you that it's not worth driving for them?

2. You want me to get back onto my lifeboat, after all this time, and come get you ?

Because i Know
    All of the Life Boats left S.S. UBER LONG AGO !

Attached Files:

3. The TITANIC II is scheduled to set sail in 2022.
    BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW !

It is built as a Replica of the original Titanic. And its maiden voyage will follow the Exact same path as tbe Titanic !
    It will be powered by 4 Wartsila 2 stroke diesel electric generators and have 3 bow thrusters instead of coal fired boilers . . .

Merc7186, BikingBob and jgiun1 like this.
  4. The SS Uber washed up on Ka1anick Island. On Ka1anick Island I am the Lord of The Flies.

[​IMG]

tohunt4me and jgiun1 like this.
  5. steveK2016

steveK2016

Driving:
    UberXL
    Its perfect part time earning for someone that already has a full time job. Theres not much else with the easy and flexibility that I can just do on a friday or sat night to earn a few extra Benjamin's if I wanted to.

However, I am working on my commercial and flight instructor rating. Once I get that, I can be a flight instructor part time on the weekends. That'll give me the extra I want while doing something way more fun than Ubering.

I may even ditch my main job once I get to that point and fly exclusively.

6. Part timers take...
    I think the pay cut is horrible just like everyone else. Gonna miss surge as much as anybody since Friday night surge was my bread and butter.

But as a part timer, I have no intention of changing my routine.
    There were Friday nights where it was just slow and didn't surge at all. I still came away feeling ok about my night.

It's still a few extra bucks in my pocket.

7. jgiun1

jgiun1

Unless it's 6-10 dollars on surge count, I'm going nowhere near the stressful bar area's or event's.

I'll drive around go go grandparents over adult drunk paxholes for peanuts

1.5xorbust and Cableguynoe like this.
  8. hahahaha. You're doing a 180 on GGG!

Maybe it's the town i usually drive in. Pretty chill surf town. Chill drunks.

I get that "chill" word from my pax when they ask for horrible pax drunk stories and I tell them I don't have any.

They say " yeah, people in Santa Cruz are pretty chill".

mrpjfresh likes this.
  9. 1.5xorbust

1.5xorbust

My early morning airport trips look like dog **** now. All I can say is that I will maintain my eligibility but I don’t expect to drive much.

mrpjfresh and Cableguynoe like this.
  10. merryon2nd

merryon2nd

Driving:
    UberXL
    Honestly, the time to jump ship has come and gone again and then doubled back around. I only dabble in this Uber/Lyft thing now. Don't even try for incentives. I have enough private followers to occupy my time nicely at this point, and they make up over 88% of my driving income. Plus, unlike RS customers, my private clients all tip. RS is just for catching up on the ponies, netflix binge watching, and time away from hubby at this point.

It will get worse, and probably no better. My personal suggestions would be, anyone still in, plan an exit strategy. Get out while you MIGHT be still etching out a minor profit or breaking even and not falling into the red.

Crunch ALL of your expenses and put it up to your profits. If you can't make the numbers make sense, GTFO now!

11. Full timers will leave the ship. But part timers will join. They're the ants. They're the people over-saturating.

You can tell Uber has had success with that commercial of the mother doing an airport run. Because they've run it for 18 months now. They're catering to people who have 2-3 hours to kill or want to work one night a week.

goneubering likes this.
  12. Gilby

Gilby

Driving:
    UberX
    You will not make much money as a flight instructor. I have about 2,500 hours of instructing at three different flight schools. Right now I m paid $28 an hour, but remember, that is only for the time I am actually teaching. For today, that will be two hours. Lots of time for Uber between lessons.

If you want to make money as a pilot, build time instructing and once you are past 1,000 hours you start becoming more attractive for a corporate job. Insurance companies don't want to cover low-time pilots. There is good money in business flying and excellent equipment (we fly a Citation CJ3, two Pilatus PC-12s and a TBM 900, all less than three years old). But you also have to be OK with being on-call, loading luggage, cleaning the airplanes, making coffee, etc.

13. steveK2016

steveK2016

Driving:
    UberXL
    You are also in Wisconson. I'm in DFW where we have American and Southwest, along with several regional headquartered here.

The flight school I'm at right now, every CFI is booked every day, Monday thru Sunday. Demand is high and the schools are filled to the brim. Every flight instructor is booked every day available for weeks ahead. My school is looking to invest in two more 172SP due to student demand. Theyre in such need they already offered me $25 an hour as soon as i get my CFI. Ive got similar offers of $25-30 at other schools ive talked to.

If you have 2500 hours why arent you working on an airline or cargo job? I wouldnt waste time I could be working on senority at an airline, rather than wasting my time Ubering.

14. Merc7186

Merc7186

Driving:
    UberXL
    The way I personally see it is when the flate fee surge and lowered rates come to my neck of the woods (they havent yet), Ill sell my Uber Mobile with all of its bells and whistles to some dumb ant and make money off of it that.

mrpjfresh likes this.
  15. Gilby

Gilby

Driving:
    UberX
    I had a full time flying job from 1968 to 1973 in the US Air Force. The 2,500 hours I mentioned are just my time instructing - total time closer to 7,000 hours. Age 73, not interested in flying full time now.

mrpjfresh, goneubering and tohunt4me like this.
  16. All Hail Lord of the Flies !

Where did i put my sharpened stick ?

Tr4vis Ka1anick likes this.
  17. goneubering

goneubering

Driving:
    UberX
    One of my riders followed exactly the path you laid out. Now he flies for Delta and loves it.

18. steveK2016

steveK2016

Driving:
    UberXL
    65 year old retirement age doesn't help either...

I've already talked with Envoy Air (previously known as American Eagle) who's ready to take me on as a first officer once i hit 1500 hours. $43k first year first officer pay with a $22k sign up bonus. Not great, but it's a good start. Envoy is owned by American Airlines and they recruit 55% of their pilots from Envoy. Plus the years at Envoy count towards seniority pay once you get to American. Although I'd rather go Southwest if I can. I'm still young enough to fully pursue a full career in aviation.

19. goneubering

goneubering

Driving:
    UberX
    Should be good timing. The pilot I drove said older pilots are starting to retire.

20. steveK2016

steveK2016

Driving:
    UberXL
    It's getting bad. They keep raising the retirement age but it aint helping. Pilot is the best industry to be in right now. My GI bill is paying 100% of my flight training and bachelor degree in aeronautics, with a housing allowance. Cant complain.