• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Morning driving in Irvine.

SnakeNoir

Hey everyone. First timer here. First, let me introduce myself. Just got out of college, looking for jobs. Had a couple of interviews--so far just empty responses. My dad is a part-time driver. He has an 8-5; drives until 11, just to survive (aren't we all). Pretty sure sooner or later he'd kick me out of the house, so I'd better start savin up. Or help him out a bit.

I've registered my SUV. I'm considering driving from 5am~noon, hanging out at Irvine Business Center & John Wayne airport. It's the most logical location I can think of, taking under consideration the distance from where I live (about 5~7 miles from airport.) as well as the demand for transportation. Can't really ask my father as he drives nights, so is there any other place that's great in the morning? Irvine and nearby cities preferred, but I'm willing to drive up to Huntington Beach or Dana Point, possibly LA (will have to leave damn early for this).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

SnakeNoir

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
X class :/ That's why I'd rather stay nearby and chill, make quick cash, instead of having to dead mile all the way to LA or San Clemente like all you hardcore drivers out there lol.

So, any tips on locations during mornings? Why isn't John Wayne suggested here as much?

soonsoon

Read the post It's dead in OC. Good tips from OC drivers. Also when customer asks about tips please don't say " We don't accept tips." Good luck out there!

SnakeNoir

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know Irvine is dead because everybody here has a car. I saw high school kids driving M3's. I'll add a tip jar like you see at restaurants. Put some BS on it like "Tip for Africa!":biggrin:

SCdave

Do some homework. Open Rider Uber App and see where the other Drivers are at between4:30 am - 12 noon. Then it will be some trial and error on your part re how long and type of trips you can get from your home to get started vs driving somewhere and racking up dead miles before you get your first trip.

And keep notes. You might have some regular drive to work trips from close to your home in the early am. You might have quite a few other Uber Drivers close to you...or not. You'll get some rides from OC to other OC areas or OC to LAX / LA and then have to learn what to do once you get "somewhere else".

If you end up in San Clemente / Dana Point, do you stay or start driving North. If driving North, will you go up the 5 Fwy or take PCH? How long will you wait somewhere before moving on.

There is no one right way for any of us to tell you what to do. Each of us start out from different areas. Of course, we can help out but you'll end up figuring out what works for you as you start driving. And some days will be great and other just suck. Part skill and part random.

And don't be afraid to talk to those PAX who want to talk. Tell them you just graduated and you're driving while looking for work. If they ask you a question or seem receptive, network a bit. You also will have to learn when to STFU too for those who don't want to talk and want to play with their phones.

Good luck and be safe.

Last edited:

Blah

Honestly. If you drive an SUV I wouldn't bother. It's not worth it unless the distance to pick up the passenger is always 5 minutes from you or less and you do not drive a single mile after you drop off your passenger and wait for the next ping.

You will make more money doing anything else then driving UberX - flipping burgers, walmart greeter and I'm not being sarcastic.

If you stay close to John Wayne it's not worth it. Too many businesses and not close enough to people who needs a ride to work. Everytime I do a John Wayne drop off, I always dead mile it at least 5 miles away to get another decent ride.

JasonKGreen

I go out around 4:30 or 5am. East Irvine and Aliso Viejo are good spots for picking people up heading to John Wayne. Laguna Beach can be good too. Flights don't start landing at John Wayne until after 7am. Even then, it isn't great for finding pax.

ocbob2

I know Irvine is dead because everybody here has a car. I saw high school kids driving M3's. I'll add a tip jar like you see at restaurants. Put some BS on it like "Tip for Africa!":biggrin:
First of all, you are wrong and 2nd of all, if you think this, you can find out your own info. OC sucks compared to LA but I do this very very part time and know that you will find these statements are not true. Drive around and learn the ropes.