1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Montreal, Canada

Discussion in 'Montreal' started by mtl514, Sep 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. mtl514

mtl514

Requesting a sub forum for Montreal. Thanks.

2. Yul

Yul

Agreed! When is the Montreal forum coming? Montreal has become a big market for Uber, I heard there are a few hundred drivers in the city. It would be helpful to exchange with other local drivers.

3. mtl514

mtl514

No love?

Yul likes this.
  4. Yul

Yul

Did you work during Osheaga?

5. mtl514

mtl514

Nope. You?

6. Yul

Yul

Ya, made over $1500 in a weekend. Long rides to Parc Jean Drapeau and 2X-4X all the time. It was pretty amazing. I even refused Select calls since the surge on X was so high. I didn't work during Grand Prix but I spoke to drivers who said they made more than that then.

Ever got pulled over by the taxi bureau or cops? Remember that taxi bureau officers are not peace officers and you can just drive away, they don't have authority to arrest or detain. Best bet would be to drive into an indoor parking lot, park it and go have lunch.

What are some of your challenges in the Montreal?

7. mtl514

mtl514

Wow, unbelievable! How much did you take home after everything including taxes? How many hours in total?

Never got pulled over, still a newbie in the game though. Thanks for the advice.

Challenges, well, the construction is a major one. So far the language issue hasn't come up, maybe because I am bilingual... Let's see.. short rides in downtown are the worst, from a bar on St-Laurent to their residence on McKay.. but they add up I guess. Airport is starting to become a pain in the rear, drop off, either drive into Dorval (dawson/carson) and wait for ride or go to industrial area in lachine and slowly work my way on the 20E. But so far, I have been lucky to get a ride within 10minutes of airport drop.

Do you work full time or part time? What are your hours? I work part time, mostly during day, weekend nights sometimes. Don't drive past 12am, my preference. Don't like dealing with the drugged/drunk crowds.

Yul likes this.
  8. Yul

Yul

That amount was after taxes, gaz and wear/tear + tax deduction. In other words, net. About 28 hours of work over 4 days. On Monday, I was just driving back and forth from the airport. It was worth coming back empty right away since I knew I'd get a ride back at 2X.

For navigation and traffic, only use Waze. It's very accurate for road closures and shortcuts using side streets. It should connect directly to the Driver app. Do not use the Uber app for navigation, it's garbage and makes you take ridiculous routes. Locals think you're screwing them. Google Maps is ok too but I found it to be less accurate with road closures.

There will always be short rides, but so many times I'll do a shirt ride into a neighbourhood I rarely go to and I get a huge ride from there (airport, 450, etc.). But if not, it does add up. You could also give them your number and ask them to call you if they ever want a long ride. Just be sure to make them up the app to pay you, always safer.

Airport is tricky. When do you normally go there? You can't legally pickup from airport and there are taxi bureau guys there, I typically see someone getting pulled over a few times a month. Here's what I suggest: riders will try to get a taxi from the airport but the app won't let them, they'll then move the address nearby and call the driver to tell them they're at the airport. The stupid driver picks them up at the airport. The smart ones, ask the client to hop onto the FREE shuttle bus to any of the airport hotels (closest ones are Aloft and Sheraton) and pick them up there. That's so much safer and will keep you out of trouble. Best place at the airport to get a call is in the "cell phone lot" since its closest to the terminal. If not, you can actually drive 5 minutes to DDO or Fairview and although you may have to wait 20-30 minutes, you'll get a $45-50 drive back to downtown. Other option is the Via train station in Dorval which gets a few calls each hour.

I usually work daytime, some nights but rarely. I did a few 11pm-4am shifts simply out of curiosity and I must say I made a ton of money, lots of Surge and long rides. The clients aren't so bad as long as u refuse riders under 4.6. Lots of calls in Mile End, Plateau and Rosemont at night. They usually go back home in the 450. It should be busy around the bell centre during hockey nights also. I work part time now although I was doing full time in the summer. I average $30 hour but I very carefully pick the times I work. (Morning Rush hour, dinnertime, Mondays and Fridays daytime is busy downtown/village/old mtl)

What type of car do you have? I'll look out for you. Which areas seem to work well for you? Here are my top 5 hoods:

- Outremont (wait long for a call but usually a long one)
    - Côte St Luc/Hampstead
    - Verdun
    - Ahunstic/Cartierville
    - near the Stadium daytime

Worst:

- Downtown between 6pm-11pm (the short rides you were describing)
    - Old Montreal nighttime (tourists going back to hotels downtown usually)
    - Plateau on Saturday/Sunday daytime (locals running errands, short rides)
    - Laval or South Shore (you could wait over 1-2 hours for a call)
    - Airport past 6pm (almost no flights landing)

I'll write about the referral program at some point. It's amazing if you know how to promote it well, I haven't paid to use Uber as a passenger in months since I get 3-5 rides a week for free.

We'll get into the score too, I'll tell you about a few tricks to keep it high. It's all about the clients you drive. In short, the higher their rating, the higher your rating. And there is a belief out there that Uber sends a call to higher scores, I think it's true since I tested it myself.

Need any other tips for Montreal? Feel free to ask. The more we chat, hopefully other 514s will join us in our thread! Drive safe :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  9. thanks for all the info YUL.
    yeah im finding it tricky to pick a schedule to work. the weekends like you said can sometimes be troubling. But i havent had any major issues except a vehicle clean request.
    im try to switch to days and see if its different compared to nights.

10. Yul

Yul

its been a little quiet the last couple of weeks, mostly because (I think) of less tourists and more drivers on the road. It's still pretty busy on evenings and rush hour though.

You do know you can refuse passengers if you feel they're going to mess up your car or cause trouble. When it's busy and calls come in fast, I usually don't accept pings from passengers who are under 4.6

ZoomZoomZoom likes this.
  11. i suppose in the beginning i was desperate to learn ropes fast, so i took every call that came in regardless of the distance away.
    the one deterrent is that a few times i had a rider request a trip and he was 12 minutes away. by the time i was 4 minutes away, they cancelled.
    I know we dont get paid for the trip there (which we should) pro-rated of course.. but there should be some kind of penalty to the rider.. possibly an automatic self 1 star lol.. i dunno.. its just frustrating. like i understand if i get there and u dont show, least i get 5$ lol... but to have traveled so far for them to just cancel really pissed me off..

what shall i do in this scenario ? in hindsight i suppose i should have paid more attention to their user score; but at the same time sometimes pretty ****ty ppl have high ratings.. as most drivers (least i do) 5 star everyone. Unless you're a complete tard. I'll give a 2 or 3 rating.

like a few weeks ago, a guy i picked up i had asked him to empty their beers before getting in my car. One guy did, but the back passenger (I now know) had snuck it into his bag, and was drinking it behind me. ten minutes in i hear a thud in the back.. like something fell.. when i dropped them off i then started smelling beer, and realized wow my entire back seat is soaked. Uber did reimburse me the cleaning fee, but still... ppl like this i give a 1 star too.

i mean if i had gotten pulled over, and i had no idea what my passenger was doing, i imagine i am responsible for them ? the guy who ordered the uber was fine, it was just his friend, and i felt bad reporting it, but hey that guy should have cared what his friend was doing. It cost me $28 to clean, and uber deposited $100 into my account.

Rider had a hard lesson that night. hopefully the two of them are still friends..

wow.. this was a total rant.. sorry