Monday's Experiment - Only Airport

Jazzbaseball

On Monday I decided to try an experiment of only doing Airport pickups. I would log off after each drop-off and log back on when I reached the parameter of the Airport. I started at 2PM and dropped off my last ride by 1AM. I didn't even have to do much driving on Hwy 5. In most cases, I would receive a request while I was still on 62 Crosstown.

Attachments

• lyft.jpg
    lyft.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 147

Immortal

On Monday I decided to try an experiment of only doing Airport pickups. I would log off after each drop-off and log back on when I reached the parameter of the Airport. I started at 2PM and dropped off my last ride by 1AM. I didn't even have to do much driving on Hwy 5. In most cases, I would receive a request while I was still on 62 Crosstown.
So do a drop, log off and head back to the airport. Interesting. How many trips was that? Were there times you had to wait a while to get a trip back out? Certainly appears to be a very worthwhile endeavor for an 11 hour shift.

Jazzbaseball

So do a drop, log off and head back to the airport. Interesting. How many trips was that? Were there times you had to wait a while to get a trip back out? Certainly appears to be a very worthwhile endeavor for an 11 hour shift.
Ended up doing 17 trips. Didn't have to wait since it was a busy Airport Night. Sundays are generally like this. But because it Labor Day most traveled on Monday.

Woodbury77

How many dead miles did you log? I guess I'm just curious if you ended up in BFE you still drove back to the airport?

Zirkon

I should have been clearer, I dont know the different types of Lyft, are you just like uberx or something else?

SurgeMasterMN

I have been driving XL only for the past year was able to crack the code by watching Uber Man explain how to set up the XL only option. I could easily generate $250-$300 a day on average just working the airport. Picking up dropping off then heading back to the airport. The problem I see now is everyone has this option available so now there is a back log at the airport. It will take an hour and a half to get a run on the XL only option at the airport now when it use to be 45 minutes to an hour. So it is taking twice the time to get through the que. Mondays are still good for a $250-$300 day but the other days are drying up at the airport by taking twice as long. Am looking at going back to X and XL outside of the airport on slow days and sticking to XL only on Mondays Thursdays Fridays Saturdays and Sundays. It was working great before but now there is a surplus of XL especially at the airport.

Thinking of different strategies. But dang that was an incredible Monday nice work breaking $400+ You must be on the reg,premier / plus platform correct?

Jazzbaseball

I'm just using Lyft and qualify for Premier.

For most of the night, I was averaging about 20/hr. Then I hit a Premier for my last trip to Maple Grove at 250% Prime.

I didn't think about it when I started this post, but I probably should have also mentioned that.

But I have found for the busy nights, mostly Sunday, you could log off after each airport drop. It just depends how the numbers work out per hour. Otherwise, I find if i stay logged on all the time and take every request I can get to 30/hr from time to time.

fairsailing

I tried this on Friday. But could just do 5 hrs and had to finish by 4:30pm. I averaged $20/hr take home, most were base fares, many no tips (1 100% PT to MSP). Used the destination filter to get rides back to the airport with partial success.

Mileage was still higher than I want at 1.25 miles per dollar (I GPS track all miles). With Lyft, I never made more than 1 MSP pass to get a ride, but base fare rides have never been hard to get at busy times. So kind of a mixed bag, destination filter is key to keeping empty miles down.

Last edited:

Jazzbaseball

I tried this on Friday. But could just do 5 hrs and had to finish by 4:30pm. I averaged $20/hr take home, most were base fares, many no tips (1 100% PT to MSP). Used the destination filter to get rides back to the airport with partial success.

Mileage was still higher than I want at 1.25 miles per dollar (I GPS track all miles). With Lyft, I never made more than 1 MSP pass to get a ride, but base fare rides have never been hard to get at busy times. So kind of a mixed bag, destination filter is key to keeping empty miles down.
Try it on Sunday night. It's a busier night for the Airport. But $20/hr still isn't bad for earnings.

BillC

I tried XL Only for the first time last night. I spent about 1/2 hour total time on XL only and didn't receive a single ping. I went back to X and XL and received pretty steady pings. My only XL of the night was a group of 4.

I did have a nice run from SLP right near 169/394 all the way out to Stillwater. When I got close, I got another ping from 3 miles SE in Lake Elmo with a long trip warning. They ended up going back to Plymouth. Couldn't have asked for a better pair of runs. Especially since both couples were mildly tipsy and both spent 80% of their trip asleep.

SurgeMasterMN

Figured I would try it again XL at the airport this morning. Been here since 7:30am i the 1-10 que and still here 1.5 hours later. Have sat through a surge and hardly anyone here. I believe the airport is impossible to work at MSP anymore doing XL only. It was good before getting one per hour but at this rate it isnt worth it anymore. Better waiting somewhere else for sure. So long MSP...

If u are doing XL only the que is BS it is just to get us pulled into the airport then it keeps adjusting to the X cars coming in after. The que is a bait and switch tactic.

Jazzbaseball

I only do the Airport with Lyft, because all I have to do is drive along 5. If I don't get a request immediately I'll get one shortly after a few passes.

Would that work with Lyft Plus? I don't know.

Curmudg

I tried XL Only for the first time last night. I spent about 1/2 hour total time on XL only and didn't receive a single ping. I went back to X and XL and received pretty steady pings. My only XL of the night was a group of 4.

I did have a nice run from SLP right near 169/394 all the way out to Stillwater. When I got close, I got another ping from 3 miles SE in Lake Elmo with a long trip warning. They ended up going back to Plymouth. Couldn't have asked for a better pair of runs. Especially since both couples were mildly tipsy and both spent 80% of their trip asleep.

I found the same thing with the XL only - however - in extreme demands time - like tonight for Vike's game - planning on cleaning up on XL only requests to US Bank (and then hopefully to airport from downtown..