• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Monday Log OFF

Graham J

Monday is usually my "gravy morning" but I'm with Scottie and will opt for a sleep in. Yep, the Scabs will move in but at least some of us will be starting the battle
Is anyone spokesperson for the cause?
Footzcrazy, the RSDU has formed a Melbourne chapter and what I can understand they hope to move past being a whinge and whine forum and become an advocate for drivers

I'm working during the day now so can't do it unfortunately but I'm slowly sending emails to every polly's email address I can get telling them of our plight and I plan on hammering Pauline Hansen if anyone is going to make this an issue and highlight it and I know people are going to say but she is sticking up for the taxis but if anyone knows the history of Pauline Hansen she hates big business kicking the little people and I'm pretty sure uber could become her pet peeve

Scottie B

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is not a strike against Uber, its a log off to support the Taxi industry and the un certainty of rideshare etc

Duderx

But we'll all be monitoring the surge, right? Can you all confirm that you'll resist the Urge if it gets to 3.0x, which it shouldn't unless Al Gorithm is out and about manipulating as usual? I'll be offline.

Rudi Zarzoff

I'm working during the day now so can't do it unfortunately but I'm slowly sending emails to every polly's email address I can get telling them of our plight and I plan on hammering Pauline Hansen if anyone is going to make this an issue and highlight it and I know people are going to say but she is sticking up for the taxis but if anyone knows the history of Pauline Hansen she hates big business kicking the little people and I'm pretty sure uber could become her pet peeve
I'm feeling ill... the thought of "hammering Pauline Hansen" has just made my red wine come out of my nostrils.

UBER868

I am desperate to drive because i am new. BUT i will support the movement. The government need to do something.

yogi bear

We're all in the same boat.

Its in taxi drivers interest to see uber drivers get equal rates per km. So they're not competing, unfairly, with people working for 3rd world rates.

And its in uber drivers interests to get better rates so as they can make a fair living.

The enemy is uber, if you think as an uber driver then the interests of uber and the interests of the driver are the same then you are still delusional.

I know you're mostly all not , anymore, but we all bought the uber fairytale at the beginning, i think the first step towards self healing is to admit this.

Footscrazy

Footzcrazy, the RSDU has formed a Melbourne chapter and what I can understand they hope to move past being a whinge and whine forum and become an advocate for drivers
Yes I'd seen that re the RSDU Graham J. But to be successful as an advocacy action, a protest has to have a clearly articulated cause and messages, clear outcomes that are being sought, a clear audience to whom it is being delivered and spokespeople who can deliver it effectively.

Simply turning up to a taxi rally - who lets face it will probably not be supportive of Uber drivers - is Pearson in the wind in my book. And if you asked 10 Uber drivers why they might attend that rally you'd probably get 20 different responses. Not saying that Uber drivers don't have valid concerns (of course we do) but is this protest going to let Uber drivers bring those concerns to the fore? I'm not sure it will. Also don't appreciate being called a scab if I choose to work Monday which I likely will, because as you say Monday is the best morning to be out there.

offline4SURGE

As much as I'm with taxis owners and drivers on these protests, as for uber drivers, nothing will change unless few hundred will show up their anger at Cremorne muppets office, without any fear of deactivation.

Last edited:

Uberx zoom

Yes I'd seen that re the RSDU Graham J. But to be successful as an advocacy action, a protest has to have a clearly articulated cause and messages, clear outcomes that are being sought, a clear audience to whom it is being delivered and spokespeople who can deliver it effectively.

Simply turning up to a taxi rally - who lets face it will probably not be supportive of Uber drivers - is Pearson in the wind in my book. And if you asked 10 Uber drivers why they might attend that rally you'd probably get 20 different responses. Not saying that Uber drivers don't have valid concerns (of course we do) but is this protest going to let Uber drivers bring those concerns to the fore? I'm not sure it will. Also don't appreciate being called a scab if I choose to work Monday which I likely will, because as you say Monday is the best morning to be out there.
Fights need to start somwhere. This is just the first round. An event that is likly to receive alot of media attention. What better place to start and send Uber a message. It all starts with unity for a common cuase. Better pay conditions. Stick together and the rest will follow.

Those who want to work. Go for it. There is no need to come announce it here. This thread is for the ones that will be logged off Monday.

Last edited:

Footscrazy

You're right and this is the last you'll hear from me on this thread. I've been involved with lots of advocacy work over the last 20 years, in both community groups and professionally, and I've learned that people's time and energy is a limited and valuable resource and you need to foster people's involvement so they are willing to come back and help you again, not p them off with undefined goals. Its really important to get your message straight before you begin. But you look at what Scottie is saying and what you are saying and it is 180 degrees apart.

Also associating with the taxi protest is a bad idea, have a look at the comments on the VTHC FB page and see what they think of Uber and what reception you're likely to get.

Finally I object strongly to being called a scab. It is a highly offensive term that has a meaning that is being used out of context by the people who have wielded it on this forum. I thought more of those people before they decided to use that offensive term.

Good luck.

Graham J

Footscrazy, my understanding is that the Advocacy is formulating its message and what it hopes to achieve in terms of a truly representative organisation with very specific goals. If not then you're right because it can just become a bit of white-noise in the background. At the risk of misrepresenting Scottie I think his view is more a protest at how the government is handling the proposals for the taxi/ridesharing industry rather than as a show of support for the cabbies

Uberx zoom

Associating with the taxi protest is a bad idea.
We are not associating with the Taxi industry. It will be wrong to think the public actually gives a damn about our pay conditions or the Taxi industry's compo scheme. All the public really care about are cheap rides and better quality of service.

We are going to use the media attention on that day to our advantage.

I know i will be logged off the entire Monday but suggest those who can not afford it to atleast log off from 7am till 12pm.

News outlets will be informed.

Last edited: