MN Unemployment Insurance

uberCh

spit out that I dont get anything. I put down 20 hours and $350 a week. I also do real estate on the side but didn't make much doing that last year and nothing this year so far, so maybe that's the problem.

HoratioCaine

Any driver here in MN filed for unemployment insurance? If so... what is UBER's work description in the application? I can't seem to find it unless we are under "taxi and chauffeur" which I don't think we are! Thanks for your responses!
How soon after filing do you start getting paid?
How much on average does one get?
Post automatically merged:

spit out that I dont get anything. I put down 20 hours and $350 a week. I also do real estate on the side but didn't make much doing that last year and nothing this year so far, so maybe that's the problem.
You dont get anything? Why?

uberCh

How soon after filing do you start getting paid?
How much on average does one get?

You dont get anything? Why?
Not sure... Hopefully it'll change once they actually look at it. The only thing I can think of is that I do it like 20 hours instead of full time and do real estate as well? Doesn't make sense to me

MSPDriver

We may be able to start applying for this next week. They want you to do it on a certain day depending on your social security number's last digit (Mon-Fri).

https://www.uimn.org/assets/application-step-by-step-instructions-selfemployed_tcm1068-425640.pdf
Link

This document, which I found on the MN Unemployment website, has some instructions and guidance on how to apply specifically for anyone who is self-employed or an independent contractor. Hopefully by next Monday the system will be ready to start processing applications. They recommend getting your application started even without the full guidelines. I will apply on the next day that matches my digit.

dauction

Has anyone been able to get through on the Phone?

1586130788323.png

I have one document they need more info on but they are not specific on what they need....and the Phones are shut down ..

Ignatowski

I am assuming this is just for people that do it full time? If you have a full time job and work this as a side hustle it doesn't pertain?

My understanding is that if you have a 9-5 then you're not eligible for MN unemployment.

Not sure... Hopefully it'll change once they actually look at it. The only thing I can think of is that I do it like 20 hours instead of full time and do real estate as well? Doesn't make sense to me

I believe they are now paying "partial unemployment", so if someone worked 20 hrs/wk, and had hours cut to 10, then they'd get unemoyment benefits for the missing 10 hrs.

uberCh

Now I have to appeal. According to UI I was denied because both Uber and my other employer both didn't respond. So now I printed out my monthly payment statements from Uber and my 2019 1099 from my other previous employer and will have to mail it in.

Scorpion12

Now I have to appeal. According to UI I was denied because both Uber and my other employer both didn't respond. So now I printed out my monthly payment statements from Uber and my 2019 1099 from my other previous employer and will have to mail it in.
I need to do the same thing , uber and lyft didn't verify my income. I am going to mail to their st paul office with pay statements and social security #

uberCh

I need to do the same thing , uber and lyft didn't verify my income. I am going to mail to their st paul office with pay statements and social security #
I'm pulling my individual monthly statements from Uber along with my year end statement.

I'm pulling my individual monthly statements from Uber along with my year end statement.
Monthly? Where are you finding monthly statements? I only see weekly statements. I have quarterly spreadsheets I could provide, but very unlikely they'd be acceptable since I created them...

uberCh

Monthly? Where are you finding monthly statements? I only see weekly statements. I have quarterly spreadsheets I could provide, but very unlikely they'd be acceptable since I created them...
You need to go to the desktop version of Uber partners, then under "statements" , then under "tax information". On the left side is where you can see the monthly statements

Thanks, I'd forgotten about those!

Unfortunately I don't see any monthly reports for Lyft... only weekly.

Last edited:

PoeBear

Go to this MN UI page. You will find all updates here. Click on all the links. Read everything.
The information and instructions posted really clear up a lot of confusion.

https://www.uimn.org/applicants/needtoknow/news-updates/cares-act.jsp

Both full and part time drivers can apply. The information on the page explains clearly how to apply, and why there will be delays in dispersing self-employment and independent contractor benefits. Those include needed updates to MN UI technology and procedures (MN UI is not currently set up to handle this type of claim). I read that IC benefits may not be disbursed till toward the end of April, but apply each week anyway, even if the disbursement amount you see each time is $0. That will be corrected. You'll get benefits anyway when the MN UI system is updated to process this new type of claim. You will also receive automatically the extra $600 per week. It is definitely worth jumping through all the hoops to make this happen.
I submitted (you can fax or mail):
  1. an "Add Missing Employment" form each for Uber and Lyft. (You will get this in the mail after you apply. It's online too, I think. Your MN UI letter may state you will receive $0, but don't worry that will be corrected.)
  2. all my Uber Monthly Tax summaries, and all my Lyft Weekly summaries for the base period. (The MN UI letter you get after you apply tells you your 'base period'.)
  3. a cover letter explaining that I was submitting proof of IC income. I make clear it's not employment income. (I've included the relevant, non-personalized portions of the letter below if it's helpful to anyone. You, of course, would have to edit it to apply to your specific circumstances.
THE LETTER

UI Customer Service
P.O. Box 4629
St. Paul, MN 55101-4629

RE: Add Missing Employment (CARES Act Independent Contractor Earnings) for:
You name, address, phone number.

To Whom It May Concern:

Please, find enclosed proof of income provided to me by Lyft, and Uber Technologies:

Lyft

Lyft, provides its independent contractors a Weekly Summary online for each week they drive. I have enclosed the Weekly Summary for each week I drove for the base period only. The ‘Net earnings’ amounts are the earnings that are auto-deposited into my bank account.

Uber Technologies

Uber, provides its independent contractors a Monthly Tax Summary statement online for each month they drove. I have enclosed Monthly Tax Summary statements for the base period only. The ‘Your net payout amount’ are the earnings auto-deposited into my bank account. Do not use the much larger ‘Your Gross Earnings’ figure, which is the amount riders pay to Uber. I do not receive the gross earning; I receive only the net earnings.

I will provide any additional proof of income documents you request.

Thank you, for considering this additional independent contractor income.

Regards,

tommy_driver

@PoeBear This was helpful. Thanks. Here's my story;

Applied April 1. Received a letter April 6 that stated I should submit a claim for benefits. Logged in to do that and there was no where for me to submit a claim. Called mid-morning through mid-afternoon April 8 to inquire. Was not able to get through at all (i.e. "call can not be completed at this time"). Called at 08:00 April 9. Got through and waited on hold for about 30 minutes. When I got through, the representative said that UI Minnesota was still waiting on guidance from the federal government on how they are supposed to handle self-employment claims. She said I should monitor the website for more information. Later that day I received a second letter that said I was denied because there was no record of employment from an employer (i.e. the self-employment issue). I was told I could appeal by providing proof of employment. I am taking the same approach as @PoeBear .

This all boils down to that this is a brand new, federally mandated change that the Minnesota UI systems and processes are not equipped to immediately process. I'm just going to clearly document everything and follow up diligently until I get paid.

Scorpion12

@PoeBear This was helpful. Thanks. Here's my story;

Applied April 1. Received a letter April 6 that stated I should submit a claim for benefits. Logged in to do that and there was no where for me to submit a claim. Called mid-morning through mid-afternoon April 8 to inquire. Was not able to get through at all (i.e. "call can not be completed at this time"). Called at 08:00 April 9. Got through and waited on hold for about 30 minutes. When I got through, the representative said that UI Minnesota was still waiting on guidance from the federal government on how they are supposed to handle self-employment claims. She said I should monitor the website for more information. Later that day I received a second letter that said I was denied because there was no record of employment from an employer (i.e. the self-employment issue). I was told I could appeal by providing proof of employment. I am taking the same approach as @PoeBear .

This all boils down to that this is a brand new, federally mandated change that the Minnesota UI systems and processes are not equipped to immediately process. I'm just going to clearly document everything and follow up diligently until I get paid.
Same thing happened with me, letter said there is no income record showing , so this morning I did same thing as poeBear did, and sent letter with all monthly statements from uber and weekly statement from lyft have attached .
Let's see what happen next.

tommy_driver

Same thing happened with me, letter said there is no income record showing , so this morning I did same thing as poeBear did, and sent letter with all monthly statements from uber and weekly statement from lyft have attached .
Let's see what happen next.
So I am just going to send them my 2019 tax statements rather then all of the weekly statements along with a cover letter. I have to believe that is sufficient documentation. I did break down my income by quarter as requested on the form. Will keep you informed on the results.

It seems every state UI agency has their own ways of implementing UI for self-employed/IC workers under the CARES Act. I live in AZ now, formerly in your part of the country. I applied the day after Trump signed the bill, and now have 3 full weeks of "ineligible due to no wages". As of last night this is what I'm being told here:

If you already applied for Unemployment Insurance benefits and you think you may be eligible for PUA the Department will contact you when further action is needed. Keep a record of your earnings each week as this information will be required to determine your eligibility when PUA is implemented.

PoeBear

UPDATE
As the law stands now, since I am eligible for unemployment based on employment income during my base period, I am not eligible for MN UI benefits based on my self-employment income. That's a bit disappointing given that my IC income is greater.
I am very grateful for the UI benefits I am receiving. Thank you, MN DEED!

Gig economy ICs for whom that is their only income will eventually be receiving MN UI benefits. It's my understanding that U/L are very slow or not responding at all to requests for proof of earnings. Based on my research, MN DEED has the most efficient claims processing operation in the country. I do believe they are our friend in this catastrophe and will get all claims sorted as soon as they can in accordance with the federal guidelines the are required to operate under.

Here is another link to special instructions for filing for UI benefits if they are your only income.

A quote from the pdf:
PUA: Expanded Benefit Eligibility Section 2102 of the CARES Act creates a temporary, federal UI program for individuals not otherwise eligible for UI benefits (e.g., self-employed, independent contractors, gig economy workers): PUA. PUA is administered by states and provides up to 39 weeks of federally financed UI benefits to unemployed workers who (1) are ineligible for any other state or federal UI benefit; (2) meet conditions related to being unemployed, partially unemployed, or unable to work due to COVID-19; and (3) are not able to telework and are not receiving any paid leave. The PUA maximum duration of 39 weeks is offset by any weeks of regular UC or EB.

Here's a link to the full text of the cares act:
Read: Sec. 2107. Pandemic emergency unemployment compensation.