Mitch McConnell vows to end your $600 a week of enhanced Unemployment Benefits

AJ56

Republicans want people to get back to work and give 95% of the money they generate to billionaires and keep 5% for their families while complaining that 5% is way too much.
The bailouts? I just refinanced my car. I have a loan. According to your logic I got bailed out?

Uberdriver2710

Maybe he’s thinking of giving us a raise to $800 a week. No more $600 a week, let’s raise it.
That would make more economic sense. Just covering people's expenses doesn't encourage them to go out and spend spend spend.

Why don't they just give us a book of blank checks? lol!!!

But I know, republotards want people to go back to work, even if there are no jobs.

Never mind the 50 million jobs lost already.

BigRedDriver

That would make more economic sense. Just covering people's expenses doesn't encourage them to go out and spend spend spend.

Why don't they just give us a book of blank checks? lol!!!

But I know, republotards want people to go back to work, even if there are no jobs.

Never mind the 50 million jobs lost already.
40,000,000 are unemployed because we panicked. They won’t get re employed unless we open the economy back up.

The left keeps saying, leave the economy closed until we get a vaccine. There is no guarantee a vaccine is even possible.

What’s the plan then?

Valar Dohaeris

40,000,000 are unemployed because we panicked. They won’t get re employed unless we open the economy back up.

The left keeps saying, leave the economy closed until we get a vaccine. There is no guarantee a vaccine is even possible.

What’s the plan then?
Sadly, many won't get re-employed at all. At least not for a while. There was a poll a few weeks ago where something like 75% of the people who had their lost their jobs felt they would get their old jobs back in a few months. In their dreams...

Jesse Kelly has been banging this drum for two months. When an economy tanks, and businesses go under, many go under for good. There may be a replacement that comes in and fills that void eventually... 18 months after the dust settles. Let's pretend there's a modest town in Middle America that has four restaurants. Due to loss of business, two close permanently and 35 people lose their jobs. Maybe in the fall of 2022 someone opens up a third restaurant and hires 15 people. That still took a year and a half, and 20 people from the original 35 are still out of work. or at least that type of work.

BigRedDriver

Sadly, many won't get re-employed at all. At least not for a while. There was a poll a few weeks ago where something like 75% of the people who had their lost their jobs felt they would get their old jobs back in a few months. In their dreams...

Jesse Kelly has been banging this drum for two months. When an economy tanks, and businesses go under, many go under for good. There may be a replacement that comes in and fills that void eventually... 18 months after the dust settles. Let's pretend there's a modest town in Middle America that has four restaurants. Due to loss of business, two close permanently and 35 people lose their jobs. Maybe in the fall of 2022 someone opens up a third restaurant and hires 15 people. That still took a year and a half, and 20 people from the original 35 are still out of work. or at least that type of work.
And those that do get re employed will enter a very competitive job market. The downward pressure on wages will be remarkable.

TXUbering

I'm going to take my 'gubment cheese', stash it away, sell all my assets convert as much as possible to cash as well, let my Uber business go bankrupt (finally being an LLC pays off... a nice big tax write off), and not spend any money unless absolutely necessary. I figure I can probably coast for 2 years, but I'm just going to wait until November. I'm ok with the Trump economy burning to the ground. I figure if the government gives me more money hoping that I'll put it back into the economy, I'll just stash it. I've seen some decent deals out there, but I'm not going to buy anything. The Trump economy..... "FLAME ON!" I swear trolling Trumpards is so easy........ {snicker}

JaredJ

Anecdotally, I've spoken to people that make less than half what they're earning off unemployment right now. Setting aside conversations about pay inequities, the fed has funded unemployment benefits that disincentivize people returning to work.

As a driver, I'm thankful because Unemployment means I don't have to put myself or my 70yo father at risk.

TXUbering

Anecdotally, I've spoken to people that make less than half what they're earning off unemployment right now. Setting aside conversations about pay inequities, the fed has funded unemployment benefits that disincentivize people returning to work.

As a driver, I'm thankful because Unemployment means I don't have to put myself or my 70yo father at risk.

You can look at it in a few ways, it gives people an incentive to not work, or it gives companies an incentive to pay a better wage to bring in employees.

I would've been perfectly ok with Amazon and grocery store workers striking. Sure it would've hurt a lot of people, but you have to leverage when you can. Just think of all these "essential workers" having a bigger paycheck, pushing back Bezos' bid to be the first "trillionaire" a few decades or so. It would also put more money in consumers' hands, which would help the economy.

You have two camps, the trickle down and the trickle up. Giving money to the top, they're going to store that money. Giving money to consumers, they're going to use that money to create demand. Neither solution is perfect, but I'm personally tired of trickle down.
Post automatically merged:

Received the EIP card yesterday. Thanks Nancy and Chuck !!!
EIP? Isn't that the beginning of Elroy Jetson's secret password?

Valar Dohaeris

It's not a football game with teams. It's government.

We have old men with the minds of school children in our Congress.

Time to clean house.
Posts like these are humorous because they are lazy. OK, vote out every old man in Congress. Then what? Vote in more Squad members? What is that they have done exactly? AOC owes taxes from seven years ago, Tlaib is more pro-Palestine than pro-American, Omar married her brother and committed fraud and Pressley thinks CV-19 is racist. It's the same old nonsense, only crazier and from young women instead of old men.

What is your solution besides "burn it all down!"? Can you even identify the problem?

Buck-a-mile

Posts like these are humorous because they are lazy. OK, vote out every old man in Congress. Then what? Vote in more Squad members? What is that they have done exactly? AOC owes taxes from seven years ago, Tlaib is more pro-Palestine than pro-American, Omar married her brother and committed fraud and Pressley thinks CV-19 is racist. It's the same old nonsense, only crazier and from young women instead of old men.

What is your solution besides "burn it all down!"? Can you even identify the problem?
I love posts like this

Yes, the problem is people that don't use their brains when voting.

Kind of like your mindless post asshat.

Nitedriver

Republicans in the Senate and Trump want to take $600 a week from you so they can give trillions of dollars of handouts and bailouts to billionaires, banks, hedgefunds, and multinational corporations that ship jobs overseas.

UberBastid

I'm going to take my 'gubment cheese', stash it away, sell all my assets convert as much as possible to cash as well, let my Uber business go bankrupt (finally being an LLC pays off... a nice big tax write off), and not spend any money unless absolutely necessary. I figure I can probably coast for 2 years, but I'm just going to wait until November. I'm ok with the Trump economy burning to the ground. I figure if the government gives me more money hoping that I'll put it back into the economy, I'll just stash it. I've seen some decent deals out there, but I'm not going to buy anything. The Trump economy..... "FLAME ON!" I swear trolling Trumpards is so easy........ {snicker}
I don't agree with you very often Tex ... but, you doing it right.
IF the economy straightens out, you'll do just fine with all your bills paid and you're sitting on a pile of $.
IF it doesn't, you'll do just fine because you got all your bills paid and yer sitting on a pile of $.

Chaos can be very exciting and profitable.
When there's a big explosion, and there's pieces laying all over the ground near the smoking hole ... you can sometimes find some pretty valuable pieces laying around. And the people who have cash in their pocket can often pick up a lot of value for pennies.
It worked very well for people like J. Paul Getty, and Kaiser.

I am doing the same thing, with one addition.
Wifey and I have decided to leave the state of California.
She has kin living in Missouri - family owns a very successful business with millions in holdings, and we may move there.
I understand thee's a lot of ponds and lakes there that are teeming with bass and they need skilled fishermen to reduce the population. I am qualified.

The move is planned for one year from today.

In the last two months we've paid off over $7k in short term 'consumer' debt with interest rates over 25%.
Have another $4k to go.
Then we'll get the truck paid off, that's another $10k.
Then we'll start stacking up $.
THEN WE MOVE.

Last edited: