Mitch McConnell vows to end your $600 a week of enhanced Unemployment Benefits

SHalester

But many people (not all, but many) are making MORE than they were at their jobs for literally doing nothing
I belong in that group, but with the note I'm retired from 'needing' to work. the $661 I get each week is more than I was doing with RS maybe 3-4 days a week. Any given day if I got to $75 before my shift was over, I'd stop and be happy.

Not sure how many none RS drivers, tho, would make more money on UI then on their regular full time job, tho. That's a $15 an hour job. Fast food worker?

Blanko1

I belong in that group, but with the note I'm retired from 'needing' to work. the $661 I get each week is more than I was doing with RS maybe 3-4 days a week. Any given day if I got to $75 before my shift was over, I'd stop and be happy.

Not sure how many none RS drivers, tho, would make more money on UI then on their regular full time job, tho. That's a $15 an hour job. Fast food worker?
What is the reissue between those who make more on UI than their wages? We also need to consider we lost 80% of the rides Its a huge financial set back for lots of drivers. 50 million American's don't have $400 emergency saving, as a perspective, the economy looked great but when you dig in its a different story.

IRME4EVER

Let me ask you this. People getting UI/PUA are and will spend money for paying bills, groceries, shopping, take out and more. I doubt people are hiding the money under a mattress. Am I wrong or just stupid?
It kept me from being evicted (after I got a 5-day notice), It also put food on my table (where I had none), it helped me from losing my car, it also helped me with my rideshare insurance and tags.
Guess those bills apply to everyone!!
Today I talked with a friend of mine, No Uber or Lyft drivers around (Mesa, AZ.) surge was up 10.00. still no drivers. My friend called for a cab to go 7 miles at the max, my friend told me that they wanted to charge her 50.00. That's a sure sign of people who are used to CHEAP RIDES getting paid back and not tipping 1000%.
I hope the scumbags that we picked up. Finally, realize the drivers are the ones getting screwed over by UBER/LYFT.

Aquamike714

Republicans in the Senate and Trump want to take $600 a week from you so they can give trillions of dollars of handouts and bailouts to billionaires, banks, hedgefunds, and multinational corporations that ship jobs overseas.
Can anyone enlighten me on EDD's criteria on receiving UI benefits? The $600 is added to your weekly benefit right? So when you answer the 8 question certification and for the question that asks, if you looked for work that week, and you mark No for the answer, do they not pay the benefit, even if you have the covid virus? This happened to a good friend and she asked me to reach out to the Uber forum. Thank you!

Wolfgang Faust

Can anyone enlighten me on EDD's criteria on receiving UI benefits? The $600 is added to your weekly benefit right? So when you answer the 8 question certification and for the question that asks, if you looked for work that week, and you mark No for the answer, do they not pay the benefit, even if you have the covid virus? This happened to a good friend and she asked me to reach out to the Uber forum. Thank you!
Rules vary by state.

In AZ the looking for work requirement had been voided.

BunnyK

Fair enough. Keep in mind, I'm not referring in any way to stimulus checks or PPP loans. Actually, I'm not even referring to vanilla unemployment, I think that's fine. John Q Public gets 50% of his wages for 3-6 months until he gets a new job. It pays the lights and groceries. But many people (not all, but many) are making MORE than they were at their jobs for literally doing nothing.

And, for the record, my financial fate is determined by me. I've made smart financial decisions, and I've made really stupid financial decisions. But where I am is because of me.

And I don't go around blaming my failures on others that I have no control over. Not Trump, not Obama, not McConnell, not Pelosi, not Bush, not Clinton, not my dad, not my mom, not my spouse.

But if your friends feel better about their crappy lives by blaming those people (they get to take their pick) without looking at the mirror, I can't stop them.
OH NO! NOT *GASP* PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY!

Someone come quick and call this guy a nazi or something.

Alemus

Gig workers getting the 600/week due to the slowness .
Restaurant worker getting 600/ week due to the closing. If the owner tells the restaurant worker to come back , he/she needs to comeback 👍
Slowness will continue for the gig workers .
Maybe the gigs will get extension.
maybe its lack o drivers, but demand for me has skyrocketed. granted I live in a state that has actually reopened

The queen 👸

Ok here we go.
I’ve been asking a question that nobody wants to answer.

What if there is no safe, reliable vaccine? What is the plan then? Stay inside until people stop dying?

How long are lockdowns sustainable?

most states are reopening and those are having new cases . We are home .
We wear mask when we go out. This summer will be spend at home and at the beach . Saving my UI and PUA until I get and found a new job. It sucks but this is what and my family decided to do .
I would love to fly to Italy on October to see my family for 10 days alone. Don’t know if I should buy my ticket now or wait .
I will see in August . I am blessed my daughter came home . I feel better knowing she is here and she can work on her computer .
Son and husband go to work everyday now . We might be in phase 2 by Friday . Let’s hope. We are doing our part .
Hope others do the same. Be safe y’all

sellkatsell44

I’ve been asking a question that nobody wants to answer.

What if there is no safe, reliable vaccine? What is the plan then? Stay inside until people stop dying?

How long are lockdowns sustainable?
I think the bigger question is what are we doing to get ready for a different environment, one where there needs to be social distancing to stay safe.

I think as businesses starts to open up, there will be adjustments naturally to make it so that we can work in an environment where there is no Covid vaccine (as of yet).

we need to consider a huge wave of PPE. Tons of advertising devoted to showing people that it’s important to stay a safe distance, to keep rigorous hygiene practices (it’s so gross precovid for women not to wash their hands when exiting the bathroom but I’ve seen it happen).

and have things in place to accommodate for that. If it means staggering the work schedule so the elevator is used on an half hour increment and not all at once... yes... if it means part work home part work at office... yes..

but we need to have people be cautious enough to go out and live/work but again with safety precaution.

went to a Starbucks this morning. I don’t believe in ordering it and needed a stretch from working @ home. Went out, got my ice tea and headed back home.

this is how they are now:

B8143DBF-3754-4007-A1CE-913458759D2C.jpeg

The queen 👸

I think the bigger question is what are we doing to get ready for a different environment, one where there needs to be social distancing to stay safe.

I think as businesses starts to open up, there will be adjustments naturally to make it so that we can work in an environment where there is no Covid vaccine (as of yet).

we need to consider a huge wave of PPE. Tons of advertising devoted to showing people that it’s important to stay a safe distance, to keep rigorous hygiene practices (it’s so gross precovid for women not to wash their hands when exiting the bathroom but I’ve seen it happen).

and have things in place to accommodate for that. If it means staggering the work schedule so the elevator is used on an half hour increment and not all at once... yes... if it means part work home part work at office... yes..

but we need to have people be cautious enough to go out and live/work but again with safety precaution.

went to a Starbucks this morning. I don’t believe in ordering it and needed a stretch from working @ home. Went out, got my ice tea and headed back home.

this is how they are now:

View attachment 475685
Who cares about Starbucks? They are a multi billion company. Dam people make your own coffee.

whatyoutalkinboutwillis

Fair enough. Keep in mind, I'm not referring in any way to stimulus checks or PPP loans. Actually, I'm not even referring to vanilla unemployment, I think that's fine. John Q Public gets 50% of his wages for 3-6 months until he gets a new job. It pays the lights and groceries. But many people (not all, but many) are making MORE than they were at their jobs for literally doing nothing.
They WERE doing something. They were LITERALLY flattening the curve. We were told to stay home to save the lives of those most vulnerable. And because it was an emergency, everyone would be eligible for unemployment. But when most representatives looked at the benefit amount for unemployment, they realized it wouldn't be incentive enough to get people off the street. So they sweetened it with an extra $600. Otherwise, that curve wouldn't get flattened. Most people aren't going to stay home for $200 a week.

This wasn't that long ago, so I don't understand why so many people forget this. Flattening that curve was THE most important thing. It was drilled into our heads that it was the right thing to do. And when kids went off the Spring Break anyway, we shamed them for being irresponsible. "They should be at home, flattening the curve. Don't they know they're killing the Greatest Generation?". It seems some people are damned if they do and damned if they don't.