Misadventures of a (soon-to-be-former) Uber Driver

SandyD

So, I think the Universe is trying to tell me something.

Two weeks ago my trusty UberX vehicle was benched pending repairs, thanks to the Takata airbag debacle. No ETA on parts ..... so I was left with my Town and Country to do X/XL in. This weekend was my first opportunity to try hourly Guarantees and I decided I would do the 4pm-8pm, didn't care where I ended up, and for the last required ride I would try out the Destination Filter to get back home, where I would stay online for whatever time was left. My house seems to be one of those Dead Zones, so I figured this would work out nicely.

Was I ever wrong.

First trip - pinged me within 30 seconds of going online right at 4. Three very nice people on their way to a wedding in Newport Beach, had really nice chat with them. As they are getting out of the van, one says "Ooops! I meant to give you a GOOD rating......." I asked her to please contact customer service and ask for assistance in making an adjustment. Then she asked how she could tip in the app..... because she didn't have any change.

Sigh.

I've done the calculations - if she 1-starred me, my rating will hit 4.4. It's presently 4.75 but I am an "occasional" driver. Only 35 trips, as of this moment 29 rated - 22 5-star - 5 4 star (most of those after they changed the rating system to say that 4 was "good"). So for today, I am waiting for just 1 more rating to appear. I can pretty much guess which one.

Then, 2 shorties, followed by a family visiting the area going out to dinner, and I got to drive what amounts to a bike path @ 15mph before they called and apologized for the bad pin drop. They did tip. :smiles:

Trip #5 - horrid traffic on Newport Ave. Took forever to pick them up, but it was only 6:30 and I only needed one more ride after this one before 8pm for the guarantee, so, ok. Friendly bunch of young people on their way to a friends place. On the way though, I smelled - brakes. Mine are NEW and I know sometimes they stink - a little - as they break in. This was not a little. They noticed too, one of the pax was worried about me driving it when they got out and smelled the full force of it.

Found a parking lot nearby to stop at and the odor was still quite noticeable. Declined a ping - one more and I wouldn't meet the requirements for the guarantee. Went offline at 6:50, deciding it would be better to deadmile it home than to risk breaking down, or worse, with pax. When I got off the freeway I realized there was SMOKE coming from the driver's side front wheel well. Got off the road and confirmed it was brakes and not an engine fire!

So as of this moment I have no uber-mobiles and my rating is about to hit the dumper. The fates are telling me something, I'm sure of it.

KimchiRiceSoNice

We all have a bad day. Perhaps wait for the X vehicle to be available. First and foremost, always be comfortable and confident with the ride/car. If something doesn't feel right then trust your instinct. Nothing worse than driving with insecure feeling that the car may malfunction. You did the right thing. We all want to make money, but at what expense? I wouldn't worry about the rating. It will pass. Welcome to ride-share. Be safe out there.

TomDewey

So, I think the Universe is trying to tell me something.

Two weeks ago my trusty UberX vehicle was benched pending repairs, thanks to the Takata airbag debacle. No ETA on parts ..... so I was left with my Town and Country to do X/XL in. This weekend was my first opportunity to try hourly Guarantees and I decided I would do the 4pm-8pm, didn't care where I ended up, and for the last required ride I would try out the Destination Filter to get back home, where I would stay online for whatever time was left. My house seems to be one of those Dead Zones, so I figured this would work out nicely.

Was I ever wrong.

First trip - pinged me within 30 seconds of going online right at 4. Three very nice people on their way to a wedding in Newport Beach, had really nice chat with them. As they are getting out of the van, one says "Ooops! I meant to give you a GOOD rating......." I asked her to please contact customer service and ask for assistance in making an adjustment. Then she asked how she could tip in the app..... because she didn't have any change.

Sigh.

I've done the calculations - if she 1-starred me, my rating will hit 4.4. It's presently 4.75 but I am an "occasional" driver. Only 35 trips, as of this moment 29 rated - 22 5-star - 5 4 star (most of those after they changed the rating system to say that 4 was "good"). So for today, I am waiting for just 1 more rating to appear. I can pretty much guess which one.

Then, 2 shorties, followed by a family visiting the area going out to dinner, and I got to drive what amounts to a bike path @ 15mph before they called and apologized for the bad pin drop. They did tip. :smiles:

Trip #5 - horrid traffic on Newport Ave. Took forever to pick them up, but it was only 6:30 and I only needed one more ride after this one before 8pm for the guarantee, so, ok. Friendly bunch of young people on their way to a friends place. On the way though, I smelled - brakes. Mine are NEW and I know sometimes they stink - a little - as they break in. This was not a little. They noticed too, one of the pax was worried about me driving it when they got out and smelled the full force of it.

Found a parking lot nearby to stop at and the odor was still quite noticeable. Declined a ping - one more and I wouldn't meet the requirements for the guarantee. Went offline at 6:50, deciding it would be better to deadmile it home than to risk breaking down, or worse, with pax. When I got off the freeway I realized there was SMOKE coming from the driver's side front wheel well. Got off the road and confirmed it was brakes and not an engine fire!

So as of this moment I have no uber-mobiles and my rating is about to hit the dumper. The fates are telling me something, I'm sure of it.
Goodbye!!!