• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Mint mobile

Working4peanuts

I switched my phone to mint mobile. It's $45 for 3 months of 12 gb per month of service. ($15 a month). After the promo, you can pick whatever level of data you want. You can buy it on Amazon. I think it's usually $25 a month for that much data. Even with Uber, I never come close to using 12gb.

I had tmobile. So far, if anything, the service is better than TMobile. Less dead spots. Data consistent and phone calls are clear.

SubaruLegacy

Fyi- mint mobile is an MVNO (mobile virtual network operator), that runs on tmobile network. So your coverage can't be better than tmobile it's the exact same network. Mint buys data from tmobile in bulk and resells it. It's a good deal, if you can deal with being the lowest priority on a congested cell tower. (Essentially you are always the first to be deprioritized, before even a tmobile customer who is over their allowance) which mostly will effect you at a events where towers get overloaded, like picking up at hard rock stadium.

Working4peanuts

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fyi- mint mobile is an MVNO (mobile virtual network operator), that runs on tmobile network. So your coverage can't be better than tmobile it's the exact same network. Mint buys data from tmobile in bulk and resells it. It's a good deal, if you can deal with being the lowest priority on a congested cell tower. (Essentially you are always the first to be deprioritized, before even a tmobile customer who is over their allowance) which mostly will effect you at a events where towers get overloaded, like picking up at hard rock stadium.
All I know is I never could connect to TMobile where I live and have no trouble with mint. Can't explain it and don't care enough to try. For $15 a month, I saved $105 over 3 months. When it's time to renew, if I don't like the service then, I'll just port out to someone else.

Imo, they all suck. I just can't deal with paying $50 a month for shitty service, and that's what I got with TMobile.

GreatOrchid

interesting i dont have mint phone no money to buy one maybe i can trade stupd cookies and knife and fork logo from bonus for one

SubaruLegacy

Did you change phones? Or maybe when you were on T-Mobile you didn't have volte or wifi calling enabled properly? (They can sometimes require an account change online to activate the first time).

@GreatOrchid
Any T-Mobile compatible phone will work on mint.

Working4peanuts

Did you change phones? Or maybe when you were on T-Mobile you didn't have volte or wifi calling enabled properly? (They can sometimes require an account change online to activate the first time).

@GreatOrchid
Any T-Mobile compatible phone will work on mint.
I had WiFi calling but that isn't relevant. It was the data on TMobile that sucked. I never got Uber right outside my house where I wanted to wait for my first ping. And service was horrible on the turnpike for data.

And no, I didn't change phones.

SubaruLegacy

lol that makes no sense that you would see any difference from a technical standpoint. The only reasons that could possibly cause a difference is either t-mobile was deprioritizing you, which is unlikely if you were post-paid given your low data usage, unless you were on some really ancient out-dated plan, or there was some sort of bug in t-mobiles system and you weren't getting the updated tower lists.

Working4peanuts

lol that makes no sense that you would see any difference from a technical standpoint. The only reasons that could possibly cause a difference is either t-mobile was deprioritizing you, which is unlikely if you were post-paid given your low data usage, unless you were on some really ancient out-dated plan, or there was some sort of bug in t-mobiles system and you weren't getting the updated tower lists.
Again, I have no idea. Just stating what I've experienced.

And I had tmobile for about 4 months. Certainly not an ancient plan. Full boat-no prepaid.

I guess what got me to dump tmobile are their bullshit commercials touting their incredible coverage. I had tmobile years ago, too. Terrible data then, too.

I posted this thread in case others wanted to save money on their cell phone bills. I wasn't sure how good the service was but am pretty satisfied with it. Other than that, trying to explain why I'm having a better experience with mint is irrelevant. I just am.

SubaruLegacy

Again, I have no idea. Just stating what I've experienced.

And I had tmobile for about 4 months. Certainly not an ancient plan. Full boat-no prepaid.

I guess what got me to dump tmobile are their bullshit commercials touting their incredible coverage. I had tmobile years ago, too. Terrible data then, too.

I posted this thread in case others wanted to save money on their cell phone bills. I wasn't sure how good the service was but am pretty satisfied with it. Other than that, trying to explain why I'm having a better experience with mint is irrelevant. I just am.
It's good to know. I'm just cautioning if you had problems with t-mobile you might run into the same problems with mint. so if your mint service has issues in certain places, or suddenly your mint service isn't as good, you know it's a bug between your phone and the network.

It sucks because the cell phone providers have god awful tech support, and always just tell you to buy a new phone. but their networks are far more complicated and poorly maintained then you realize. I once had an issue on Verizon, where my clock would suddenly jump 1 hour to a different time zone, and it would mess with the integrity of a lot of apps having system time suddenly change/cause me to have calendar appointments not pop up and such. After calling verizon a whole bunch of times, it took months but eventually I narrowed down that it only happened in certain areas, and they finally realized one of their towers had been set to atlantic time zone(which isn't an area verizon operates a single tower lol). but each step took them months. If they are that bad at setting their clocks, how good are they at managing complex cell network operations?