Minors requesting Uber

Nenee

I recently had an experience on a ride request submitted by a 16 year old kid. I was concerned when I found myself with my suv packed w a bunch of 16 yr olds some perhaps younger and no adult. Anyone have any similar experience? I have reached out to Uber to get clarification on their policy for transporting minors.

I have read on this forum discussions regarding a potential lack of coverage from uber if the parent (requestor) is not in the vehicle. However in this case I quickly learned that the requestor was in the vehicle, he is 16 and has an account.

Never had a minor with an account request me. I've picked up kids before but usually are requested by their parents. Most times they call me to explain or make sure the kids are with me.

Nenee

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Never had a minor with an account request me. I've picked up kids before but usually are requested by their parents. Most times they call me to explain or make sure the kids are with me.
From what I've read so far, if u have an accident n the requestor is not in the vehicle uber will not cover it under their policy. Be careful!!! Search this site, there r some posts on this topic.

Rnv20

I had the same experience about a week ago. Two girls (12 & 13 years old) requested an uber from McDonald to their home. what's worse the girl put in the wrong address so i ended up taking them to the wrong location in Miami Beach, then once we get there they go..."oh this is not our place"... i was like... you got to be kidding me ( in my head of course ). Long story short, I asked her to show me the address she had written down, and what happened was that she forgot to type in "NE" when putting in the uber request.. I had to drive all the way back to take them just a few blocks from the pick up location.
Lesson learned. That was my first and only experience driving minors without an adult present and I will not do it again. Besides, I realized that whether uber's insurance covers them or not; driving minors around in your car alone it is also being exposed to the possibility of being falsely accused of many things. And, in my opinion it is not worth it.

UberXLMia

Here is a copy of the terms of service...
3. Your Use of the Services
User Accounts.
In order to use most aspects of the Services, you must register for and maintain an active personal user Services account ("Account"). You must be at least 18 years of age, or the age of legal majority in your jurisdiction (if different than 18), to obtain an Account. Account registration requires you to submit to Uber certain personal information, such as your name, address, mobile phone number and age, as well as at least one valid payment method (either a credit card or accepted payment partner). You agree to maintain accurate, complete, and up-to-date information in your Account. Your failure to maintain accurate, complete, and up-to-date Account information, including having an invalid or expired payment method on file, may result in your inability to access and use the Services or Uber's termination of this Agreement with you. You are responsible for all activity that occurs under your Account, and you agree to maintain the security and secrecy of your Account username and password at all times. Unless otherwise permitted by Uber in writing, you may only possess one Account.

yeahTHATuberGVL

From what I've read so far, if u have an accident n the requestor is not in the vehicle uber will not cover it under their policy. Be careful!!! Search this site, there r some posts on this topic.
I just learned that Uber allows for ghost requests, where the request or doesn't have to be anywhere near the vehicle; they just need to be a valid account holder with payment info and a pulse.

Uber chick in miami

So I pull up and they have a child, I ask how old she is. He replies she's 4 years old. So I tell him I can't take them because of the car seat law under 5. Then he says no she's 7. I was like really??? You already said 4 you can't change her age now idiot. He really thinks I'm going to let it slide. I told them no. He keeps insisting shes 7 as if i was some type of moron. They finally get out. Then 2 mins later another uber pulls up and drives off with them. Drivers will just put up with anything. Or maybe he isn't aware. I just laugh.

Manotas

I recently had an experience on a ride request submitted by a 16 year old kid. I was concerned when I found myself with my suv packed w a bunch of 16 yr olds some perhaps younger and no adult. Anyone have any similar experience? I have reached out to Uber to get clarification on their policy for transporting minors.

I have read on this forum discussions regarding a potential lack of coverage from uber if the parent (requestor) is not in the vehicle. However in this case I quickly learned that the requestor was in the vehicle, he is 16 and has an account.
Do Not Accept rides from unacompanied minors: https://www.uber.com/legal/terms/us/

Eewber.jpg

hangarcat

So I pull up and they have a child, I ask how old she is. He replies she's 4 years old. So I tell him I can't take them because of the car seat law under 5. Then he says no she's 7. I was like really??? You already said 4 you can't change her age now idiot. He really thinks I'm going to let it slide. I told them no. He keeps insisting shes 7 as if i was some type of moron. They finally get out. Then 2 mins later another uber pulls up and drives off with them. Drivers will just put up with anything. Or maybe he isn't aware. I just laugh.
In Florida all forms of livery including rideshare are exempt from child seat/belt law.

Uber chick in miami

In Florida all forms of livery including rideshare are exempt from child seat/belt law.
Can you please tell me where you confirmed this information?

I've Googled it and all the info is not real clear as to how it applies to rideshare. I have emailed Uber support on this and their response was to visit the local office. So if they can't answer a simple question, I'm guessing it's a grey area and I'm not taking any chances. Please let me know where you confirmed that?

hangarcat

I've Googled it and all the info is not real clear as to how it applies to rideshare. I have emailed Uber support on this and their response was to visit the local office. So if they can't answer a simple question, I'm guessing it's a grey area and I'm not taking any chances. Please let me know where you confirmed that?

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cf
m?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.614.html

See (3)(a)2

Jae Garcia

I get minors with thier own app all the time. Linked to a prents credit card I am sure but it happens all the time. I mean, what am i going to do? card them? They know the risks of getting in the car too and so do the parents who allow thier teenage chils to uber. Ive had parents say goodbye to them as they get in the car with me. Its up to us whether we want to comeplete the ride or not. And if they are old enough to have a phone, Ill drive them. 15+? Ill drive them. Under that....they have to have a parent. another thing....what about car seats for children under the age of 4? has anyone had this issue? parents traveling with babies and no car seat?

Jae Garcia

This happened to me twice....both times raining and I felt bad and did not deny the ride. However, I did tell them the carseat law and that never to do this to another driver. Siince then Ive gotten tints installed on my car. If the parent isnt going to care then maybe I shouldnt care so much. I hate to be an @@@@@@@ and deny the rides but i see it happening more and more everyday. parents with small kids and no car seat....its like, cmon....are you serious? thought about putting mt nieces booster in my trunk for situations like this

hangarcat

My bad. I think this is it. See no. 6.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ute&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.613.html