Uber Drivers Forum banner
2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Charlie Schwartz 
#1 ·
Can anyone give some pointers?

I drive a rental. Being a bit clueless as to how rentals and insurance works, I reported two minor collisions - no injuries, damage in the 2-3 figure range - to the rental co's insurance agency (I have no deductible). Also, in one case the other party insisted on a police report, so that's been done alreadt.

Should I be reporting these things or should I be doing my own repairs? And what will I find, premium-wise, when I try to rent a different car (either from the same or a different company?)

#3 ·
Why would you do the repairs yourself, if the accidents were reported to the insurance company and police reports were made?
You claimed that you have zero deductible, let the rental company deal with the damage. Report everything and keep copies of all the reports, documents,estimates for many years to come. Just in case of a screw up with the insurance company, lawsuit, DMV issues.

#7 ·
Why would tour license be suspended if its not your fault???

I got hit from the back causing a 4k damage and on top the insurance are paying me for everyday i am not able to work untill i receive a check to fix the car. Why take such a big loss and pay for damages out of your own pocket? Its why we have insurances. In tegards to 3 no faults and suspension? You can always get a lawyer for some nonsence like that to fight it

#14 ·
Its true, tlc rules. Hope everyone paid attention in the taxi class
With rentals unfortunately its best to just report because they might drop u if u fail to report.

With my personal car I try to never report anything. I'll offer money even if its the other persons fault.
Does this mean renters are out of luck after 3 accidents? Or is it only with a police report and insurance co reports dont count.

#16 ·
I'm renting from American Lease, and I pay the $25 weekly to cover the deductible. Here is what they told me:

1. Renters never report accidents directly to the insurance company. You report to the policy holder, which is the rental company, in this case American Lease. (Note: AL recently changed their phone system. It seems that to report it, these days, you have to show up in person?)

2. I'm a bit fuzzy on this, but I think they told me that unless you pretty much total the car, your rental rates will remain the same. And if you total the car they would too, except they won't continue renting to you.

3. When you're ready to repair, drive the car to their Bronx location and they will do the repairs there, in my case for free. I believe they told me I don't need a police report unless the other driver will be filing a claim against me. Or something. However, more experienced drivers advise renters to always file a police report because if you show up with a damaged car with no report you will lose access to your insurance and/or your right to rent from them.

Either way, there doesn't seem to be any reason not to report minor collisions. No side effects.

As for tlc, 55-14 in tlc rules seem to suggest that it is three strikes and you're out (suspension or revocation), but only if they receive a formal complaint after the third accident. Is that the source for this debate?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.