• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Minimum wage job or Uber ?

LAboy

i really wanna know if an actual job pays better than Uber really, cuz i never worked a minimum real job.
i work as photographer/editor.. and i do food delivery with Uber and grubhub.
so will you make better money as a dishwasher or server ? working at macdonalds or cashier?
cuz i encounter people who hate their jobs and their boss, i tell them go do uber or food delivery they say hell na, am like what the @@@@ hahah

FLKeys

To honestly answer this is really hard. I would prefer to doing Uber/Lyft over a minimum wage job. However I have a decent paying full time job with decent benefits less a retirement plan. So Uber/Lyft is becoming my retirement plan.

If I got a minimum wage job and put in the hours I am with Uber/Lyft, because the tax bracket it would move me into, I would come out with less. Now if I did not have a full-time Job I would have to re-evaluate this.

NOXDriver

any job that has benefits and vacation days would be better thst Uber. most distribution jobs start at $15 and hour wirh bennies.

Uber means that you have NO bennies and now you habe to maintain a car... if the car is broke so are you.

Uber is a horrific choice for a first job. second job?? even that is iffy. again you are driving you car into the ground.. how will you get to work when its broke??

96% of Uber drivers quit in the first year. why do you think that is a good turnover rate????

TXUbering

I actually had meant to write up a thread expounding on this very topic. A little background, my "real job" is in IT, but recently ended my normal IT position. I've been staying in the IT realm by doing various IT projects. A couple of weeks ago my vehicle's transmission started slipping, so I dropped it off with the dealership. The dealership explained to me that they would be keeping my vehicle for 4-6 weeks (damn Kias!). Thus, I had to quickly find something to hold me over for a while. The position I settled on paid a very paltry $20 an hour (less than 1/2 of what I used to make), but was a good comparison to what people claim is a better salary than Ubering.

After my 2 weeks of working at $20 an hour, I have to conclude that I would prefer to put in 60 hours doing Uber than working 40 hours for someone else. The caveat, the transmission on my car going really made me realize that this isn't sustainable with certain vehicles. You have to really consider what you're using for Uber. But, if you get something old, keep in mind that you're subject to riders dinging you for what they perceive to be a dirty/old car. Personally, I'd use Uber/Lyft as a means for something else, like augmenting a retirement, or going to school. There is no way I would use this as a full time job and expect to build wealth.

Invisible

If you’re open to working fast food, check out Panda Express if you have it in your area. In my area, the kitchen and counter workers make $11-$13/hr and the Assistant Mangers make $16. They had a sign posted.

A traditional job has its benefits: set number of hours per wk, you know what your paycheck will be, sick days/vacation if full-time, not killing your car, contributing more to your future social security benefits, health insurance, etc.

If I were younger, I wouldn’t be doing these gig jobs full-time. But at 50, it’s tougher to find traditional jobs.

Bob1!

To all drivers we need to unite across the entire United States. I know how Uber and Lyft opérate as do you all. We need to do a planned boycott that last permently. If it takes years until they start listening. I suggest turning off the apps on every single Wednesday at 2 am in the morning until Thursday at 2 am in the morning indefinitely. The reason I am suggesting this now is because we can control their stock prices. We can collectively lower the stock price through lost profits to these companies. When the prices lower to extremely low levels we can buy up the stocks and profit. There is nothing Uber or Lyft or the SEC can do to stop us since we are not employess. I really hope that you all hear my message and listen. We can organize across the Entire US. I picked Wednesday because it is a day where profits can be hit or miss for all of us. We will still have 6 other days to work to provide for ourselves. Please let your minds be receptive. We will all become rich if you hear and follow through.

It will affect their stocks. I am a trader. You have to believe otherwise you will always be poor and working for companies that don’t care about you. I am trying to help you all and give you a gift that the companies themselves will never do. We control all aspect of the business from customer satisfaction to availability. If Uber and lyft lose money because we are shutting their systems down the stocks will fall. The same way we can collectively cause a surge by shutting of the app. They have taken advantage of us and abused their power now it is our turn to change the game. Do you really want all those employess at lyft and Uber to be millionaires over night while you get nothing??? Let’s manipulate the stocks. You just have to believe and organize.

Get the Robinhood app. It requires nothing but a linked bank account. When the stock prices drop to the lowest possible value buy as many stock as you can. The we band together and do right by the company to make the stocks rise again and sell. Then we repeat the process. It will take some time and repition but it is feasible.

Look nothing else has worked. Uber and Lyft have paid off politicians and judges. This we can control. The government can’t even step in to stop us. Not politician or judges. This is in our hands.

It will make us money$$$

We can get the price to drop. Let’s say hypothetically it drops to $40 then we drive it to $100. 1 share you make 60$. 2 share you make $120. 100 shares you make $6000. 1000 shares you make $60,000

We will have to network locally. We will have to network on Facebook and other social media (YouTube). We will have to be receptive to each other. All the tools are available. We just have to use them. It might be hard to get to 100% percent of all drivers but we can get to at least 90 percent.

2. The surge earnings aren’t worth anything anymore. They are charging flat rates for the surge earnings. Most of the time you can’t get the surge earnings anyways. The AI program that they are using turns it off as soon as you get to the area. But, I would assume the potential of making $500 or more depending on what is invested for doing no work vs a $7 surge (with no guarantee) on 15 rides for a 12 hour day of work (might make extra $50) would be worth it not to cross the boycott line. That’s why I chose Wednesday’s because I don’t drive seven days a week and everybody needs a day off. Besides if a few people still go out it doesn’t matter. It will still create problems for people trying to get to work, appointments, etc... Less reliable services make people mad and the news agencies will pick up the stories. Profits will fall. Uber and Lyft will have to use investor money to subsidize. Investors will get mad stocks will drop. Uber has already maximized growth and so has Lyft. Investors are going to be looking for returns.

3. This could be a problem. Since I was just thinking of the US market. However, there are 2 million drivers in the US market. Maybe just maybe because there are drivers that are connected to other people in the world that they will realize what we are doing and start trying to do the same thing. When people learned to manipulate the surge. The drivers banded together and did it. I have seen them doing it. I would go the airport and the parking lot would be full but all the drivers would have there apps off then when it would surge they would turn their apps on and already be there. If people can coordinate like that why can’t we do this? Plus YouTube, Facebook, social media is all over the world.

4. I really understand your last concern. I started working for Uber/ Lyft to be able to get my son to doctors appointments 3 times a week. I had money saved up. I did both of them for about 2 years for 12-15 hours a day for five days a week. I was going into debt I was not making any money. Gas was my biggest expense other than maintenance and insurance and cleaning and mileage and phone bill and etc... My best advice here is don’t rely on these companies as your main income. If you have to though. Then you can still come up with the money to purchase the stocks. It will be hard but a little determination will pay off.

I’m glad I didn’t buy the stock.

My guess is that the stock will keep falling for now b/c the company is way overvalued. And investors aren’t stupid. It might surge but it won’t remain high

forrest m

It depends on where you live. Minimum wage where I live is going up to $13 an hour on July 1st for most people. It will go up the next couple years until it hits $15. Still, most places the min wage is so low, and those jobs are mostly PT with zero benefits, so it seems to me like doing ride-sharing would be a better option if a person has the skills and characteristics it takes to do ride-sharing and not get deactivated.

forrest m

A couple of weeks ago my vehicle's transmission started slipping, so I dropped it off with the dealership. The dealership explained to me that they would be keeping my vehicle for 4-6 weeks (damn Kias!).
Please tell me your Kia is really old :frown: I just bought a 2018 Soul a month ago after someone totaled my old Camry, so now I'm wanting to do ride-sharing because I need to mitigate the car payments without having to give up my spending habits. I need the car to at least last until it is paid off.

Woohaa

If you’re open to working fast food, check out Panda Express if you have it in your area. In my area, the kitchen and counter workers make $11-$13/hr and the Assistant Mangers make $16. They had a sign posted.

A traditional job has its benefits: set number of hours per wk, you know what your paycheck will be, sick days/vacation if full-time, not killing your car, contributing more to your future social security benefits, health insurance, etc.

If I were younger, I wouldn’t be doing these gig jobs full-time. But at 50, it’s tougher to find traditional jobs.
Sitting in a storefront all day isn't my idea of an enjoyable experience. Especially as the take home pay is about the same as Uber or Lyft. And with rideshare you can claim expenses at year's end so you won't owe the government any tax money.

Doing rideshare or food delivery means you set your own hours, work in any area you want and answer to no one but yourself.

Fuzzyelvis

Please tell me your Kia is really old :frown: I just bought a 2018 Soul a month ago after someone totaled my old Camry, so now I'm wanting to do ride-sharing because I need to mitigate the car payments without having to give up my spending habits. I need the car to at least last until it is paid off.
I have a 2015 Soul (bought in October 2014) and have not had even a minor issue with it. I actually had a 2013 Soul (bought in July 2012) that was totaled, and liked it so much I bought another one. The first was a base model; current is a Plus. FYI when the 2013 was totaled I was not injured at all. I was also rear ended while in the 2015 and it did over $6000 of damage. Again, I was not injured at all. The body shop told me it was a very safe car in their opinion.

TXUbering

It's 10..................................
months old.......

The sad part is I was using it mostly for commuting to work while doing about 4-5 days a month to make a payment (have been using it for full time duty for the past few months). I would love to say that I can see it lasting me for another 200,000 miles, but I dunno.....

Benjamin M

Let's see here..

1. I set my own hours
  2. I don't have some @@@@@@@ supervisor breathing down my neck
  3. I am around people that usually are thankful for my services
  4. I get to explore, every day is a mystery and an adventure
  5. If / when I quit, nobody really cares - no notice, no worries
I have been in my life (from 17 to 36) -

1. A sales associate for Ritz Camera. Worked with an awesome group of people. Near minimum wage but with bonuses. Only had one manager that sucked, the rest were awesome.
  2. A professional photographer. Short gig, mainly enjoyed the art.
  3. A paramedic. Decided on the career around the age of six years old. Ten years working for the same company, 911 and transport. Pay was decent for where I was living but managed sucked and the industry changed when fire took over.
  4. Web developer, freelance. Highly competitive and stressful. No boss but tight deadlines and lots of stress. I'll probably return to this work soon.
Will you catch me washing dishes, flipping burgers, mopping floors, etc over driving? Oh hell no! I will greatly take the depreciation on my car, occasional bad pax, and insomnia after driving nights over that crap.

It's providing me a stepping stone to the next real thing while allowing me to keep some dignity.

Invisible

I just bought a 2018 Soul a month ago after someone totaled my old Camry, so now I'm wanting to do ride-sharing because I need to mitigate the car payments without having to give up my spending habits. I need the car to at least last until it is paid off.
While I didn’t have a Kia, I brought 5 cars to 200,000 miles, and all but one were Chevy cars, not known to last so long. I had also done a driving job with my cars many years ago when I was in college and put on a lot of miles, After college, I also put on high miles for work because I managed several territories, so I understand your concerns.

Keep up with your scheduled maintenance, like the 15,000, 30,000, etc, and do the oil changes on time. Make extra payments on your principle balance to pay off car early, even $50 a month helps. Congrats on your new car. Hope you got the gap coverage.

To TxUbering, if your car is 10 months old, can you file a lemon law claim? I’m not sure what the guidelines are, though so my suggestion may be wrong.

Last edited:

NOXDriver

And with rideshare you can claim expenses at year's end so you won't owe the government any tax money.
So you would spend $10,000+ to save $2000 in taxes? You have no idea what you are talking about.

You can never get away from payroll, SSI and other taxes (occupational etc). Sure, you could get your INCOME tax down, but that's not 'won't owe the government any tax money'.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Oh, and what about retirement? Health care? Vacation? Vehicle replacement/maintenance?

Why do so many people think that Uber is a sustainable path to wealth? You have no control over prices and 96% of the drivers quit withing the first year.

aziz.qaumi

i really wanna know if an actual job pays better than Uber really, cuz i never worked a minimum real job.
i work as photographer/editor.. and i do food delivery with Uber and grubhub.
so will you make better money as a dishwasher or server? working at MacDonalds or cashier?
cuz i encounter people who hate their jobs and their boss, I tell them to go do uber or food delivery they say hell no, am like what the @@@@ haha

If you are getting older and lost some of your special skills or don't know people There are no jobs in the city anymore you apply for nonprofits you have to know people that's the only way to get jobs. The city jobs same thing favoritism liars and cheats hire their own kind theres no accountability in San Francisco anymore not like 15 years ago or before to make matters worse Uber is cutting rates, passengers are super needy and SFMTA is Robbing us and @@@@ing us in the ass on daily basis l. The latest is SFMTA sends me a citation for unloading at a bus zone claiming that I dropped off at the bus zone which I never do. They say they weren't able to put the citation onto my car because I drove off or something. What the hell. I never drop anybody at the bus stop. Some @@@@@@@ SFMTA office want to be somehow got my license plate from somewhere and send me this mother @@@@ing ticket for $288. I never stopped at the bus stop what the hell. SFMTA has become an industry that Robs San Franciscans. I am disabled I worked so hard until my leg was bleeding. Just hard as hell just to pay rent, Pay SFMTA extortion. I barely have money left to eat. What can be done about Filing a lawsuit against SFMTA for falsely issuing citations there's no accountability. when you dispute the citation they just say we investigated and you are still responsible for the citation what the hell Dont citizens have a voice here? We need to organize we need to fire everyone at SFMTA and bring a private company to run the department fairly and effitiontly. SFMTA department is clearly run by some sons of @@@@@es who just want citizens to bleed to death they never get enough. Bunch of assholes just trying to rob people. That's how they raise money to get fat checks at expense, sweat, and blood of hard-working people. @@@@ sfmta thieves!
Post automatically merged:

To all drivers we need to unite across the entire United States. I know how Uber and Lyft opérate as do you all. We need to do a planned boycott that last permently. If it takes years until they start listening. I suggest turning off the apps on every single Wednesday at 2 am in the morning until Thursday at 2 am in the morning indefinitely. The reason I am suggesting this now is because we can control their stock prices. We can collectively lower the stock price through lost profits to these companies. When the prices lower to extremely low levels we can buy up the stocks and profit. There is nothing Uber or Lyft or the SEC can do to stop us since we are not employess. I really hope that you all hear my message and listen. We can organize across the Entire US. I picked Wednesday because it is a day where profits can be hit or miss for all of us. We will still have 6 other days to work to provide for ourselves. Please let your minds be receptive. We will all become rich if you hear and follow through.

It will affect their stocks. I am a trader. You have to believe otherwise you will always be poor and working for companies that don’t care about you. I am trying to help you all and give you a gift that the companies themselves will never do. We control all aspect of the business from customer satisfaction to availability. If Uber and lyft lose money because we are shutting their systems down the stocks will fall. The same way we can collectively cause a surge by shutting of the app. They have taken advantage of us and abused their power now it is our turn to change the game. Do you really want all those employess at lyft and Uber to be millionaires over night while you get nothing??? Let’s manipulate the stocks. You just have to believe and organize.

Get the Robinhood app. It requires nothing but a linked bank account. When the stock prices drop to the lowest possible value buy as many stock as you can. The we band together and do right by the company to make the stocks rise again and sell. Then we repeat the process. It will take some time and repition but it is feasible.

Look nothing else has worked. Uber and Lyft have paid off politicians and judges. This we can control. The government can’t even step in to stop us. Not politician or judges. This is in our hands.

It will make us money$$$

We can get the price to drop. Let’s say hypothetically it drops to $40 then we drive it to $100. 1 share you make 60$. 2 share you make $120. 100 shares you make $6000. 1000 shares you make $60,000

We will have to network locally. We will have to network on Facebook and other social media (YouTube). We will have to be receptive to each other. All the tools are available. We just have to use them. It might be hard to get to 100% percent of all drivers but we can get to at least 90 percent.

2. The surge earnings aren’t worth anything anymore. They are charging flat rates for the surge earnings. Most of the time you can’t get the surge earnings anyways. The AI program that they are using turns it off as soon as you get to the area. But, I would assume the potential of making $500 or more depending on what is invested for doing no work vs a $7 surge (with no guarantee) on 15 rides for a 12 hour day of work (might make extra $50) would be worth it not to cross the boycott line. That’s why I chose Wednesday’s because I don’t drive seven days a week and everybody needs a day off. Besides if a few people still go out it doesn’t matter. It will still create problems for people trying to get to work, appointments, etc... Less reliable services make people mad and the news agencies will pick up the stories. Profits will fall. Uber and Lyft will have to use investor money to subsidize. Investors will get mad stocks will drop. Uber has already maximized growth and so has Lyft. Investors are going to be looking for returns.

3. This could be a problem. Since I was just thinking of the US market. However, there are 2 million drivers in the US market. Maybe just maybe because there are drivers that are connected to other people in the world that they will realize what we are doing and start trying to do the same thing. When people learned to manipulate the surge. The drivers banded together and did it. I have seen them doing it. I would go the airport and the parking lot would be full but all the drivers would have there apps off then when it would surge they would turn their apps on and already be there. If people can coordinate like that why can’t we do this? Plus YouTube, Facebook, social media is all over the world.

4. I really understand your last concern. I started working for Uber/ Lyft to be able to get my son to doctors appointments 3 times a week. I had money saved up. I did both of them for about 2 years for 12-15 hours a day for five days a week. I was going into debt I was not making any money. Gas was my biggest expense other than maintenance and insurance and cleaning and mileage and phone bill and etc... My best advice here is don’t rely on these companies as your main income. If you have to though. Then you can still come up with the money to purchase the stocks. It will be hard but a little determination will pay off.

I’m glad I didn’t buy the stock.

My guess is that the stock will keep falling for now b/c the company is way overvalued. And investors aren’t stupid. It might surge but it won’t remain high
I agree with you the reason I want to make money because I want to prosecute SFMTA officials for creating the system to rob hard working San Franciscans to pay high salaries of fat cats at SFMTA.

Last edited:
and answer to no one but yourself.
100% to everything you said, but mostly this. Most of my passengers are decent. But at this point, I don't hesitate (and honestly enjoy) to kick jerks out of my car. I couldn't imagine going back to a public-facing job where I couldn't do the same. Especially for only $16.00/hr.