1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Minimum fares another way Uber partner drivers are abused everyday.

Discussion in 'Complaints' started by UberReallySucks, Sep 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. It seems the number of minimum fares lately constitutes a pretty significant percentage of any one driver's total rides at the end of their day or night.
    There's nothing more annoying when that's all you get for a LONG period of time in any given area.

One request after another turns out to be 4 people not necessarily well behaved going down the street. There are times when you drive up 4 miles or more to the pick up location in hard to pick up places as is in the case in many areas in San Diego, only to find out that you're dealing with 4 people - luggage and all - moving from one hotel to another hotel 0.8 miles away, or going to a baseball game 3 or 4 blocks down the street, but in an area that you're actually trying to get out of ...

I have always and will always have a huge problem with these kind of requests. And on one of the surveys that I have filled for Uber, back in the days when I actually cared enough to reply to a survey from Uber :) I had suggested that minimum fares should be charged per passenger and not in bulk as they are doing right now. For one, I do not want riders given the luxury of rating me for a ride where my net is a measly 2 dollars because I didn't exactly jump of joy when I found out where they were going and that they were actually costing me money ... Not to mention the so many other problems these minimum fare abusers can cause and that we are all aware of.

This in so many ways would make it somewhat fair and limit if not prevent these idiots from continuously request the cheapest ride in town... As I mentioned before, 4 people on a bus = 10 dollars - 4 people on UberX = 4 dollars.

How is that fair?

uberhatesyou.jpg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  2. antiuber$

antiuber$

100% correct

D Town and LAsouthpaw like this.
  3. Emp9

Emp9

Driving:
    UberX
    4 pax and min fare no tip really suck. driver makes nothing or loses money depending on how far the pax was. i have shrunken my pick up zone from 8min away max to 4-5min away max.

Cathi likes this.
  4. chi1cabby

chi1cabby

Driving:
    UberTAXI

Uber's Logic Behind Low Rates:

1. Lower Rates lead to marginal increase in ridership.
    2. Initial decrease in Uber's revenue is made up by increase in ridership over time.
    3. Lower Rates also lead to disproportionate increase in shorter Minimum Fare rides.
    4. Shorter rides are the highest profit margin rides for Uber. On a $4 minimum fare ride, Uber gets 40% of the fare, thanks to $1/Ride SRF.

upload_2014-10-6_15-50-10 (1).png

image.jpg

So Lower Rates results in not only higher revenue, but higher profit margin for Uber.
    But Lower Rates result in not only lower revenue, but drastically reduced profit margin for Drivers.

In markets like Austin, Drivers are getting $0.80 payouts, while Uber takes 60% of the Minimum Fares!
    2015-09-01 12.09.20.png

Screenshot_2015-09-01-08-02-48.png

5. Yes sir, the driver is getting double screwed here ... because of that SRF nonsense fee.

Cathi, JLA and chi1cabby like this.
  6. ATX 22

ATX 22

The 80 cent fare I posted was before the last rate cut in Austin. Bottom line here in Austin is, avoid hanging out downtown and near the University if you're driving for x fares.

7. What on earth is the lowest now?

8. Greg_G

Greg_G

Their argument would be simple, you're going from point "A" to point "B", regardless of PAX... It's a ride for UP TO 4 PAX in UberX, mileage is what you've agreed to transport people for money, not number of people.

9. hrcabbie

hrcabbie

That is insane.

10. THAT OUGHT TO BE AGAINST THE LAW... SHAME SHAME SHAME ON UBER FOR SUBJECTING THE DRIVERS TO THIS KIND OF ABUSE.

11. ATX 22

ATX 22

You can't put all of the blame on Uber. If we allow it to happen, we have to take responsibility for our own actions. Hence, I don't hang out in downtown Austin during bar hopping hours.

Ms.Doe and Steve Joseph like this.
  12. Yeah but that's kinda besides the point: attempting to avoid it is not solving anything. I guess one way to solve it would be for all drivers to get together and turn off their App. at the same time... because anyone who thinks he can avoid those 80 cents rides forever is in for some pretty nasty surprises in the not so far away future.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  13. ATX 22

ATX 22

Trying to get more than 3 drivers to do anything like boycotting the app is like trying to push a rope uphill.

chi1cabby likes this.
  14. I know I know ... sad but true!

15. ATX 22

ATX 22

Yet, with 2 emails in the Austin market, Uber got 40 or 50 drivers to show up on their behalf at the recent city council meeting. Lots of speakers, too.

What kind of mind control drug are they using?

chi1cabby likes this.
  16. eyewall

eyewall

I know here in the Burlington, VT market they removed the minimum fare and said don't worry volume will make up for it because its Labor Day weekend the UVM students are out to party. I just laughed. I do believe it is reinstated now though.

17. ATX 22

ATX 22

Kinda like lower fares = higher earnings, huh.
    There's only so much volume a single driver can do per hour. 3-4 trips is close to the max

18. Again this is why:

Uber's Logic Behind Low Rates:

1. Lower Rates lead to marginal increase in ridership.
    2. Initial decrease in Uber's revenue is made up by increase in ridership over time.
    3. Lower Rates also lead to disproportionate increase in shorter Minimum Fare rides.
    4. Shorter rides are the highest profit margin rides for Uber. On a $4 minimum fare ride, Uber gets 40% of the fare, thanks to $1/Ride SRF.

chi1cabby and ATX 22 like this.
  19. ATX 22

ATX 22

Yep, figured that one out a while back.
    Rides $5 and under are great for Uber. They would rather me do 5 rides at $5 each than 1 at $25.

20. Yes and let's not forget the chances of negative reviews are also multiplied by 5. "Driver didn't jump of joy when he realized he was only making 4 dollars from all 4 of us"...

chi1cabby, Emp9 and Cathi like this.