Midway Pickup

Illini

I thought you had to be in the Midway staging lot in order to receive a Midway ping? I had a non-airport related LYFT ride to a residential area about a mile East of MDW. After I dropped the pax off, I turned my DF on to head back to the SW burbs. As I was nearing 63rd and Cicero, I received a ping for a pickup at MDW. I happily took it, but I thought I needed to be in the Lot to get an airport ping. When I got the pax, he was surprised to see that after he made the request, the app told him I was only one minute away. He didn't expect me to be there that soon.

mikes424

You could get a ping from either Midway or ORD if there are no cars in the queue. Happened to me once at ORD and I did have the DF on.

OP-Matt

1) MDW pit is rarely full, and often gets totally empty from time to time.

2) MDW appears to have been having some issues lately with queue management. For example twice in the last two weeks I found myself near MDW and decided to visit the facility at the pit. Both times queue was showing 11-15 and I could see at least 25-30 cars in the lot. But both times before I could even park I was getting a ping to the terminal. I appeared to be the only one who was getting pinged and leaving the lot, nobody else was leaving right ahead or behind me. Can’t be that many guys sleeping/taking a break at that time.

mahatma57

Had a dropoff at MDW this afternoon. After the dropoff, I checked and saw 1-5 cars in the lot, so I headed there. Pulled into the lot seeing 30-40 cars, and got a ping before I could pull into a parking space. Heading back to the terminal, rider cancelled . "F that, I'm not going back to the lot", and started heading east on 63rd. 10 seconds later, I got another ping to Arrivals. Apparently the queue is sticky as long as you are inside the airport geofence.

ChitownCraig

Pit was pretty empty today. I had a few drop off's today and when I went to the pit it was an immediate turnaround for a pickup. I was shocked to see a $14 surge at MDW today around 10pm. Lyft app starts your queue when you're in the turn lane. Uber you need to be in the pit.

Vladko

Uber had 20 bucks surge un ORD around 8-30 pm. I carted 14 going home and got a 3 mins trip right after. Lyft was hitting my back tiday with ord pings when i crossed Touhy on River rd.

SurginGeneral

Had Lyft giving me rematches at ORD today, and turned on Uber as I was leaving (was right after T3 ended) and karted a surge.

Seems the old tricks are.... working again?

quesie

I thought you had to be in the Midway staging lot in order to receive a Midway ping? I had a non-airport related LYFT ride to a residential area about a mile East of MDW. After I dropped the pax off, I turned my DF on to head back to the SW burbs. As I was nearing 63rd and Cicero, I received a ping for a pickup at MDW. I happily took it, but I thought I needed to be in the Lot to get an airport ping. When I got the pax, he was surprised to see that after he made the request, the app told him I was only one minute away. He didn't expect me to be there that soon.
I've gotten pings for O'Hare from as far away as York and IPR. Depends on how many are in queue.

zoobadger

Based on experience, I think the Lyft app will give you a Midway pickup if you've dropped a pax nearby and demand justifies it. And at O'Hare, Lyft will ping you to pick up a pax as you're approaching the rideshare drop-off with a pax.

As an experiment, during a high demand period I circled the departure drop-offs repeatedly to see if I could get a ping without going in the pit. No go. The pit was unbelievably awful that afternoon so my assumption is that unless you're dropping off, you must go in the lot.

I won't even go in the pit unless it's half-empty. And even then you need to stay offline until you're near the lot exit or your pax will wait 20 minutes and cancel.

Bman1974

I had a ride to Ohare today. So flew by the pit, still awful. Then I went to through drive thru at Taco Bell, still no ping. Went into the pit, got ping right away. Text passenger it will be 20 minutes to get there. Ate my lunch while trying to get out of pit. Finished and picked up passenger back to river north on $14 surge and $10 tip.

If you are going to the pit, might as well do something constructive while waiting to get out.

BeingStewie

Because Lyft has been trying aggressively to control the surge at airports and barely prime timing at 25% prime while Uber can surge to up to $20 due to Lyft manipulation and drivers going offline, there are many Lyft requests, as many drivers are willing to wait then drive on base from the airport.

It’s not a rematch, but rejected Lyft requests that you are getting.

OP-Matt

Because Lyft has been trying aggressively to control the surge at airports and barely prime timing at 25% prime while Uber can surge to up to $20 due to Lyft manipulation and drivers going offline, there are many Lyft requests, as many drivers are willing to wait then drive on base from the airport.

It’s not a rematch, but rejected Lyft requests that you are getting.
The problem is...there are Lyft-only drivers in the pit, taking those non-surged rides. Why would you take a Lyft ping from ORD when you could take an Uber ping for $5/10+ more? I'd like to see both companies turn off their manipulation and just let the market ride.

Jinxstone

The problem is...there are Lyft-only drivers in the pit, taking those non-surged rides. Why would you take a Lyft ping from ORD when you could take an Uber ping for $5/10+ more? I'd like to see both companies turn off their manipulation and just let the market ride.

Problem is the rideshare companies don't let the market ride. They manipulate it to their advantage. If you just let the market ride drivers would be able to negotiate their own terms for minimum payment. Drivers would be able to demand to know the particulars of the job before they accepted it. Drivers would be able to see the rating of a pax before they took the ride. That would be a free market, where all parties involved knew what they were contracting for and could dictate acceptable terms for each party. That's not what we've got. The rideshare companies tell drivers take it or leave it because they know many drivers are desperate. It's not a free market. It's pure exploitation.