Uber Drivers Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
I would have just taken the ride, and then reported it to Uber. They most likely would have adjusted the fare to give you the XL rate once you explained what happened. Plus if the guy was tinkering around prior to departure, you get paid for your wait time. Not sure exactly how much, but you do get something. I did a Holmdel (Shore Rate) to NYC on Sunday and it was a cool 100 bucks (with toll reimbursement) for 68 minutes. Only a 10 minute delay inbound Lincoln Tunnel. No traffic at all coming home and no traffic on the West Side in NYC. Took Turnpike South to Parkway to Rt 9/35 South coming back, great fare.
What did you spend on the way back. Besides tolls..........

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Not jamming
I would have just taken the ride, and then reported it to Uber. They most likely would have adjusted the fare to give you the XL rate once you explained what happened. Plus if the guy was tinkering around prior to departure, you get paid for your wait time. Not sure exactly how much, but you do get something. I did a Holmdel (Shore Rate) to NYC on Sunday and it was a cool 100 bucks (with toll reimbursement) for 68 minutes. Only a 10 minute delay inbound Lincoln Tunnel. No traffic at all coming home and no traffic on the West Side in NYC. Took Turnpike South to Parkway to Rt 9/35 South coming back, great fare.
Not interested in jamming 2 bikes in the back of my truck. Sorry. $100 w/ toll reimbursement or after the reimbursement? Not worth it to me on a Sunday night. Parkway was bumper to bumper. I saw it earlier in the day. I doubt it got better at 4:30 going north. I'm not a moving service. Not at the x rate. & I highly doubt uber would up it to the XL rate. He could dispute he had 1 bag & I'd have taken this a-hole 2 hours w/ traffic into the city for $58, no thanks.

Only way I would ever take a bike is if the paxhole had a bike rack that was compatible with my vehicle.

And "signed a contract"???? What an idiot.

Understand that both Bergen and Hudson counties, though being 2 of the more affluent in the state, they're the cheapest. Don't believe me? Watch how many pings you get, when surge hits below 1x...

Of course I-95 tolls are included, but once you venture into the City? Is $20 and that's it! I remember last summer when my first client wanted to come to Brooklyn... 1.5 hours took me to drop her, and about 3 to head back. After that, no surge?! Take the PATH!

Brooklyn by law is 3 tolls, unless you wanna spend the rest of the day stuck either in midtown or canal street: tunnels and Verrazano, if so you choose to return quick to Jersey. Calling the customer won't get you in trouble if you cancel, but texting?! A screenshot finds its way to UBER and will get you terminated... Permanently!

Not jamming

Not interested in jamming 2 bikes in the back of my truck. Sorry. $100 w/ toll reimbursement or after the reimbursement? Not worth it to me on a Sunday night. Parkway was bumper to bumper. I saw it earlier in the day. I doubt it got better at 4:30 going north. I'm not a moving service. Not at the x rate. & I highly doubt uber would up it to the XL rate. He could dispute he had 1 bag & I'd have taken this a-hole 2 hours w/ traffic into the city for $58, no thanks.
Fare would have been way more than 58 bucks. And if it took longer, you would have made more. I can screenshot mine if you like. 68 minutes with toll reimbursement was 100 bucks. I understand your not a moving service, but if your accepting X trips with an XL vehicle, there will be some pax that see that when you roll up and possibly take a bunch more stuff than they initially planned on.

My car gets 42MPG highway on flat ground with no AC running. So I'd say it cost me about $2.00 total in costs to go back home. I did not take GSP, only NJTurnpike, and that return toll was paid. Just filled up. 1 gallon of fuel was $1.81. NYC was about 50 miles from my house.
What about your time... time is money. Once we all start to give up our time for the convenience of driving whenever we want ...we will lose.

We all know you took the Trnpk to exit 11... it cost you more than 2 bucks.. youre the reason it's .85 cent a mile

What about your time... time is money. Once we all start to give up our time for the convenience of driving whenever we want ...we will lose.

We all know you took the Trnpk to exit 11... it cost you more than 2 bucks.. youre the reason it's .85 cent a mile
LMAO. Wow, where do I begin.
First of all, I don't drive for 85 cents a mile, EVER. I'm not driving past Labor Day, period. I live at the shore, and drive shore rates only. Second, I barely drive. In fact, I haven't driven this week and am not driving this week at all. So if I could make an educated guess, based on those two facts alone, I highly doubt I'm the reason it's 85 cents a mile.
Second, if you knew anything about NJ roads, navigation, and how to avoid tolls, you would know when you get off at Exit 11, you can bare to the right and take the Rt. 9 bridge (toll free), instead of merging onto the GSP and Driscoll, and continue on Rte. 35 South, to avoid paying the $1.50 Driscoll toll and $.50 toll when you get off.
And my time is factored into the fare. So if you figure time, 2 hours total, there and back, it's still about $50/hr.
Listen if you don't know where to drive and think you're going to get all this monster surge up north, that bubble burst a long time ago. There are drivers everywhere now and Uber doesn't want pax switching over to Lyft to avoid the surge. The fact you didn't take advantage of the higher rates elsewhere and choose to work for peanuts is your bad business decisions and poor judgment.

At times I hit Philly and turn up the app, in sarcastic hopes of getting someone City-Bound with a good surge (NOT!) and you wouldn't believe the amount of calls I get from Trenton area. As usual, I call for final destinations and is about the same: Broad street, The Boulevard, Chelsea, etc. If you can't spot a bad ride or a drug run, done missed the boat.

Wait for the "Oh but I went 14 miles extra around the turnpike and gsp!!"o_O

Back to Jersey? nahh... TO THE SHORE! Lol its not like the dude was going to Hoboken lol...

Can't wait for the " destination filter " argument... :rolleyes:
Dude, you are either really dumb, or just delusional.
I LIVE right off Rte 35, so its LESS miles if I take 9/35 home. Please stop trying to make excuses why you cannot make money at this, while others clearly can.
And apparently you drive an old, crappy fuel inefficient car. Alot drive getting 40 mpg highway now, it's common. Get with it, I mean at least try.

Gas, tolls, time, that City traffic grind and then, miraculously making it back to Jersey?!?! Not worth it...
Gas? 40mpg at $1.81 a gallon. Uh, that's really not alot.
Tolls? All paid.
Time? 2 hours total, I can spare it.
City traffic grind? Uh, it was Sunday. There was none. I was in and out of the city in 10 minutes. Drop off was near the Javits Ctr by Lincoln Tunnel.
WOW. Just WOW. Excuses, excuses.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.