Middletown to NYC on a Sunday

JMW1072

I turn on my app Sunday afternoon, I get a quick ride around town & then a ping over in Middletown. It was an x ride, which isn't always my fave (since I am an XL) nor was it a surge, but I figured it was in the decent section of Middletown (Navesink River Rd) & most likely going to the ferry. Boy was I wrong.

This guy gets in the car w/ a suitcase & a duffle bag. He says - oh great - you have a lot of room. He says the other pax is coming down from the house with more bags.......then he gets out, opens the back tailgate of my SUV & I go back to push the seats down - since I am anticipating more luggage. He says - I have 2 bikes that will fit in here too. BIKES? Are you nuts? I said - um....I don't really think 2 road bikes (adults) will fit in here.

So now there's no sign of the other pax, this do*che goes back to the garage & starts tinkering w/ taking off a bike seat, finding the helmet. I'm like WTF?!?! I've never waited around for this, he was in the car & now he's out in the garage taking a bike apart? I slide the trip thing across & it says NYC. Like somewhere in the village. I say to the guy - you requested an Uberx to go into the city on a Sunday afternoon w/ all this stuff? It won't even fit into my truck. You can't take an X w/ all this. & honestly, I'm not hauling your greasy bikes into the city in 2 hours of parkway traffic. He says - I told uber where I was going! I said - yeah, but you asked for an X. If I had a prius where would you put all this crap? & he says - I can make it fit w/ the back door open.

Please tell me I'm not the only person that would have tossed this guy out of the car. He actually seemed surprised that I did. Sorry so long, but I was like WTF dude?????

Undermensch

I turn on my app Sunday afternoon, I get a quick ride around town & then a ping over in Middletown. It was an x ride, which isn't always my fave (since I am an XL) nor was it a surge, but I figured it was in the decent section of Middletown (Navesink River Rd) & most likely going to the ferry. Boy was I wrong.

This guy gets in the car w/ a suitcase & a duffle bag. He says - oh great - you have a lot of room. He says the other pax is coming down from the house with more bags.......then he gets out, opens the back tailgate of my SUV & I go back to push the seats down - since I am anticipating more luggage. He says - I have 2 bikes that will fit in here too. BIKES? Are you nuts? I said - um....I don't really think 2 road bikes (adults) will fit in here.

So now there's no sign of the other pax, this do*che goes back to the garage & starts tinkering w/ taking off a bike seat, finding the helmet. I'm like WTF?!?! I've never waited around for this, he was in the car & now he's out in the garage taking a bike apart? I slide the trip thing across & it says NYC. Like somewhere in the village. I say to the guy - you requested an Uberx to go into the city on a Sunday afternoon w/ all this stuff? It won't even fit into my truck. You can't take an X w/ all this. & honestly, I'm not hauling your greasy bikes into the city in 2 hours of parkway traffic. He says - I told uber where I was going! I said - yeah, but you asked for an X. If I had a prius where would you put all this crap? & he says - I can make it fit w/ the back door open.

Please tell me I'm not the only person that would have tossed this guy out of the car. He actually seemed surprised that I did. Sorry so long, but I was like WTF dude?????
That's pretty wild. I don't think bikes are allowed. I hauled one once in my Prius cause I brought the guy to the store to buy it and then just hung around and got his ping going back since it was in the middle of nowhere.

Two would be tough though and I probably would've said no too.

Kevin7889

He should have ordered another xl vehicle to have his 2nd bike delivered to his final destination

swaydog

I don't understand why pax don't think to text us if it's going to be a long ride. I drive in the same area you do, and I've had a bunch of trips to NYC that were luckily toward the front end of my planned shift. I always mention to them that if they regularly take Uber to or from the city, or any ride longer than about 45 minutes, they should get in touch with the driver to make sure they can manage. I don't mind NYC trips at all (since I drive at night, traffic is rarely an issue), but sometimes it's just not doable.

I had one Friday where I was ready to call it a night. I get a ping at 1:30 am and say, "okay, this will be the last one, then it'll die down and I'll head home." Well, it's some hipster girl going to Brooklyn. I normally would have told her to kick dirt, but at that time I wasn't sure she'd find another driver willing to do the ride, so I just sucked it up. She played her own crappy music and sang along the whole damn time, and the ride was not lucrative (plus, of course, no tip for spending over 2.5 hrs of my time making sure she got home safe), but whatever.

Came back to my area, decided to wash the taste out of my mouth with one more fare (it's about 4 am). Ends up being another passenger looking to go to Brooklyn! Told him I couldn't do it, I had work the next morning and needed to get to bed soon. Guy threw a total fit, started implying that when I accepted the ride I'd essentially signed a contract. I told him he could take it up with Uber, next time let the driver know it's a long interstate trip ahead of time, and I left.

JMW1072

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't understand why pax don't think to text us if it's going to be a long ride. I drive in the same area you do, and I've had a bunch of trips to NYC that were luckily toward the front end of my planned shift. I always mention to them that if they regularly take Uber to or from the city, or any ride longer than about 45 minutes, they should get in touch with the driver to make sure they can manage. I don't mind NYC trips at all (since I drive at night, traffic is rarely an issue), but sometimes it's just not doable.

I had one Friday where I was ready to call it a night. I get a ping at 1:30 am and say, "okay, this will be the last one, then it'll die down and I'll head home." Well, it's some hipster girl going to Brooklyn. I normally would have told her to kick dirt, but at that time I wasn't sure she'd find another driver willing to do the ride, so I just sucked it up. She played her own crappy music and sang along the whole damn time, and the ride was not lucrative (plus, of course, no tip for spending over 2.5 hrs of my time making sure she got home safe), but whatever.

Came back to my area, decided to wash the taste out of my mouth with one more fare (it's about 4 am). Ends up being another passenger looking to go to Brooklyn! Told him I couldn't do it, I had work the next morning and needed to get to bed soon. Guy threw a total fit, started implying that when I accepted the ride I'd essentially signed a contract. I told him he could take it up with Uber, next time let the driver know it's a long interstate trip ahead of time, and I left.
The Sunday before - some stupid chick wanted to go from Downtown to Bergen County at 10 pm - but wanted me to wait for her to have 1 more drink. I think I'm going to either skip Sunday nights after 4 pm at the Jersey Shore - or set my destination south to Manasquan or Belmar, I have no interest in ferrying people home in 2 hours of parkway traffic.

I did kindly offer to take the Middletown pax to the ferry, but he was like - what good will that do me? Well, it's probably cheaper - even w/ the bike fee & 45 mins v. 2 hours on the parkway. Jerk.

I'm with you. I'm telling people no from now on. People are sooo presumptive & rude.

Last edited by a moderator:

JMW1072

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've had pax call me as an XL to move stuff. I will do it if you have large containers that are easily loaded and unloaded. If not, nope.'
Me too! I met some guy in Eatontown - Best Buy. He asked if 2 tvs fit in my car. I said yep. They fit fine - no scratching or cramming them in. I took them to Rumson XL price - $30. I'm totally fine w/ that. I'm not fine w/ some jerk scamming an XL for all his stuff w/ bikes & luggage for the x price. What if I as a prius? How would he fit it in? People are idiots.

DerBundes

I turn on my app Sunday afternoon, Boy was I wrong.

This guy gets in the car w/ a suitcase & a duffle bag. He says - oh great - you have a lot of room. He says the other pax is coming down from the house with more bags.......then he gets out, opens the back tailgate of my SUV & I go back to push the seats down - since I am anticipating more luggage. He says - I have 2 bikes that will fit in here too. BIKES? Are you nuts??
That's why, when in Jersey, I call and ask for destination. You should do the same too, why? Because when people see "comfort", especially now that UBER requires new SUV drivers to take X to "enhance customer experience", riders want optimum service for pennies.

I can be approaching the Holland, I turn on my app and get X calls as far as Bayonne and/or Union City and that's Marin Blvd! People smell SUVs and pretend that, in the name of customer service, you'll turn the car around to drive them 2 blocks down.

PorkRollUberAndCheese

Me too! I met some guy in Eatontown - Best Buy. He asked if 2 tvs fit in my car. I said yep. They fit fine - no scratching or cramming them in. I took them to Rumson XL price - $30. I'm totally fine w/ that. I'm not fine w/ some jerk scamming an XL for all his stuff w/ bikes & luggage for the x price. What if I as a prius? How would he fit it in? People are idiots.
I had a pax call me to move stuff quite a long distance, but what he wanted me to take looked like odds and ends from a flea market. The other moving job had 40 small boxes she expected me to move for a destination 5 minutes away. I cancelled on that for the pure cheapness of it.

PorkRollUberAndCheese

Maybe he saw the x was also an xl before placing the request
That's why I will not hesitate to ACR "Too Much Luggage" if a passenger tries to pull that.

XLs have to deal with an amazing amount of bullshit sometimes.

I had one jackass try to jam 7 people into my car and when I told him no, he not only cursed me out, "you would rather make no money than take us?!?!" He reported me to Uber for unprofessional behavior.

chevelle454

No way will I let someone open my lift gate. I move passengers and luggage and the occasional grocery run . Bikes or anything that can damage my vehicle ? Hell no ..someone wants to use me as a moving service it's going to be a cash deal at whatever the going rate is

Golf75830

I would have just taken the ride, and then reported it to Uber. They most likely would have adjusted the fare to give you the XL rate once you explained what happened. Plus if the guy was tinkering around prior to departure, you get paid for your wait time. Not sure exactly how much, but you do get something. I did a Holmdel (Shore Rate) to NYC on Sunday and it was a cool 100 bucks (with toll reimbursement) for 68 minutes. Only a 10 minute delay inbound Lincoln Tunnel. No traffic at all coming home and no traffic on the West Side in NYC. Took Turnpike South to Parkway to Rt 9/35 South coming back, great fare.