Miami Airport Ambushed by Inspector using Uber Acct

Jason Bourne

So I get a ping after dropping off at Hilton south of Miami airport I thought how strange I'm not in geo fence but whatever I'll accept. Well I got Chris terminal F Gate 24 as soon as I entered American gate 1 I had this white guy slim build guy walk in front of my car plain clothes with clipboards, ticket machine like the meter maid guys, and cell. He says my name I look at him blanky he said sorry I'm not where I'm supposed to be---but pull over there next to curb I have to give these keys to someone real quick as I go pull off to the side I look in rear view mirror and azzhole pulls out walkie talkie from under shirt......bye bye cancel and off line I went I did nothing wrong but I smelled a set up...so before they could get a sucker I turned the table on him. No is that low or what guys watch yourselves out there not sure what was about to happen but it didn't feel good after being asked several times to pull off to the side to wait for him when he had the opportunity to just jump in if he was a real passenger.

Isn't Uber legal at the airport? I thought they got a permit after Lyft did it. What the hell is this now? Btw. Did you have your "U" on the windshield?

4-WARNED

Yes always have the "U"
So if you had the "U" and it's legal to pick up, then what type of ticket do you think you evaded?? Maybe he truly wanted a ride.

Couple saturdays ago at FLL i got pinged by a "pax" who was waiting for me outside terminal 3. They texted me to pull up right behind a BSO deputy's car, so I'm thinking "wtf?" and called them to clarify. As I approached the terminal I saw that I was actually on the phone with the BSO, and I naturally went into guilty conscience mode even though I had done nothing wrong (except not have the "U" stuck on the windshield -- i just have it lying face-down on the dash). I pulled up anyway because I'm already "busted" only to discover the officer was totally polite and explained they were in fact requesting an uber for a lady that had no luggage, no cell, and just a piece of paper with a name & address on it. Apparently it was the cop's first time using the app because they said they had entered the credit card info by memory and wanted to be sure I was going to be paid for the trip. Before leaving with the pax, the officer and their partner both dug into their pockets to scramble up their loose cash and handed me a total of $12 for a tip. Pax was dropped off in Wellington 50 miles away!

Jason Bourne

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So if you had the "U" and it's legal to pick up, then what type of ticket do you think you evaded?? Maybe he truly wanted a ride.

Couple saturdays ago at FLL i got pinged by a "pax" who was waiting for me outside terminal 3. They texted me to pull up right behind a BSO deputy's car, so I'm thinking "wtf?" and called them to clarify. As I approached the terminal I saw that I was actually on the phone with the BSO, and I naturally went into guilty conscience mode even though I had done nothing wrong (except not have the "U" stuck on the windshield -- i just have it lying face-down on the dash). I pulled up anyway because I'm already "busted" only to discover the officer was totally polite and explained they were in fact requesting an uber for a lady that had no luggage, no cell, and just a piece of paper with a name & address on it. Apparently it was the cop's first time using the app because they said they had entered the credit card info by memory and wanted to be sure I was going to be paid for the trip. Before leaving with the pax, the officer and their partner both dug into their pockets to scramble up their loose cash and handed me a total of $12 for a tip. Pax was dropped off in Wellington 50 miles away!
I have no clue but hiding around the corner and pulling out a walkie talkie and having this shirt eating grin like "who hoo got one" is what gave it away. And honestly I go with gut instinct. FLL is getting just as bad those inspectors with lime green vest shoe you off right away out of commercial area even with passenger approaching 50 feet away.

Jason Bourne

Also the "pull over there" was more of author at I've demand than a kind request from a "normal" passenger and 2nd normal passengers are oblivious and usually never give directives not gonna debate but just putting it out there and be 4-WARNED. So I hear now that we are illegal in Miami again? Makes sense.

4-WARNED

So I hear now that we are illegal in Miami again? Makes sense.
Unless something happened during the last few days uber became legal again in miami-dade early last week.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article89357542.html

County commissioners approved the pro-industry bill in early May, legalizing ride-hailing services as “transportation network entities” or TNEs. Despite the win, Uber delayed pursuing a temporary permit in part out of concern about the fleet-disclosure requirement, several sources said.

The company had hoped to skip straight to a permanent license, even though Miami-Dade has not finalized the rules for that license. Privately, Uber was pressing to have a permanent license linked to a range of fleet sizes, rather than a specific number. With Miami-Dade resisting that option, and county enforcers once again citing Uber drivers for operating without a license, Uber agreed to pursue a temporary permit last week.

In its application under a corporation called Raiser-DC LLC, Uber told county officials it considered its fleet size to be a “trade secret” exempt from Florida’s open-records law. “The information reveals the size of Raiser’s business in Miami-Dade County and would be extremely valuable to other TNEs and other competitors,” Uber lawyer Aaron Brand wrote on July 8. “I request that Department staff not disclose in a public forum any information derived from this application that could provide a third party with insight into the size of Raiser’s business in Miami-Dade County.”

After Miami-Dade issued Uber its temporary license on Monday, the Herald requested the paperwork. Miami-Dade provided a redacted copy on Tuesday at Uber’s request. At the same time, county lawyers were apparently warning Uber that the information was public and would need to be disclosed.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article89357542.html#storylink=cpy

REDcarpete

If the taxi and shuttle companies filed to compel Uber and the other TNC entities to release driver rosters, it would be very bad news.

When this information is added to a CLUE or A-PLUS report, it becomes part of the drivers permanent insurance record. All of the major insurance companies use these reports to check applicants and policy holders when issuing and renewing policies. Being listed as an operator for a TNC in this report will make it extremely difficult to insure a vehicle without a commercial policy. This will impact the type of financing an operator can obtain and make it very difficult to get collision on vehicles that are currently financed as personal.

https://www.privacyrights.org/clue-and-you-how-insurers-size-you

The more you know....

Jason Bourne

That's not the only way. Raiser is listed as an employer under your social so if your current company runs a credit report....whooops there goes the neighborhood and your insurance

That must have been the best feeling in the world. I can't even imagine how you felt right after going from "I'm f'ed" to "thanks for the tip officers" lol.

Ben To

I know, right? Lol The icing on the cake though was that it was a 50 mile fare!
It's far, some may driver's may even say: oh hell nah, no return fare.

It's definitely better than any UberPool/LyftLine. I remember taking one of those to West Palm Beach at night and making shy of $40, smh...

4-WARNED

50 mile fare
You drove 100 miles to get paid for 50
After dropping someone off I don't drive back to where that ride started, if that's what you're assuming. But out of curiosity, how many total dead miles do you think you drive in between short runs until you've accumulated 50 miles of actual fare? I'd say its about the same and not only have you had to deal with more pax, its taken more time and you also probably burned more gas than if you'd been cruising on the highway with the single fare.

MiamiBeachDriver

Do your own experiment using your odometer. Reset your trip ODO before every shift and compare actual miles with paid miles then let's talk in a week or a month.

You'll see that you drive 100 miles to get paid for 50

After dropping someone off I don't drive back to where that ride started, if that's what you're assuming. But out of curiosity, how many total dead miles do you think you drive in between short runs until you've accumulated 50 miles of actual fare? I'd say its about the same and not only have you had to deal with more pax, its taken more time and you also probably burned more gas than if you'd been cruising on the highway with the single fare.

4-WARNED

Do your own experiment using your odometer. Reset your trip ODO before every shift and compare actual miles with paid miles then let's talk in a week or a month.

You'll see that you drive 100 miles to get paid for 50
I still don't get your point, and clearly you don't get mine.

Jason Bourne

OK I just dropped someone off at Miami and guess who I saw there standing next to another Uber drivers window in the same spot "Chris" tried to get me ........yup Chris.