Metromiles

Hi all,

I'm new to SD. I was driving in Miami (the wild wild west of rideshare at the moment) so I had just regular insurance.

Now that I've been here a couple months and settled, I want to try to get with an insurer that provides ride share insurance (assuming the cost is feasible).

I heard recently about farmers joining, but they dont quote online so I'll look into them at a later date. Right now I'm interested to hear more about Metromiles.

For those that use Metromiles, tell me how this works? I understand they charge a base rate plus per mile driven. I probably drive close to 500 miles a week for Uber (includes riders and dead-heads) plus maybe another 70 personal miles a week. Is Uber paying all of my Uber miles and I pay just my personal miles? Or am I paying all miles?

Thanks in advance

Don Oldenburg

Metromile will cover you when your not logged into the rideshare application. In your case that should be just for your personal miles.

The problem I am facing is I have to maintain full coverage as I have financing on my car. UBER/LYFT only pay liability when I'm logged into the application, but don't currently have a rider. Once I accept a rider, the policy will extend full coverage -- providing my personal insurance is full coverage.

For me, when I compared metro mile to my personal policy -- it was almost identical. Keeping in mind that my personal policy was priced based on my personal mileage (before I did rideshare), and while that number has dropped a bit because I can do most of my running around while logged into the application waiting for fares anyway. But, my current policy is for 1500 miles a month, and if you quote metromile at 1500 a month personal miles... it's the very close to the same rate.

Plus, I love my personal insurance company -- and I would never give them up. They don't have a rideshare program right now, but have hopes they will in the near future.

frndthDuvel

go to metromile.com and get a quote.

Then come back with any questions you do not see answered there. Nothing but peace of mind for me since I dropped Geico in March. Approx 20% cheaper. My rate is 32.84 or so per month, and .043 per personal mile. Max coverages with 500 deductible. Some folks have been quoted slightly higher due to driving record, age, perhaps zip. UBER pays the miles from ping to drop off. There is a dongle that you install and it keeps track of mileage. It does not track your driving habits like Progressive does. If you go on a personal road trip your max charge per day is 150 miles. And you can turn the GPS tracking off as well on those trips if you are concerned. Though of course we are all tracked anyway in a number of ways. If you drive LYFT, they say "they may not cover". For me in the great state California that is good enough for me that they will be forced to cover if they ever denied. Those who have gotten Farmers quotes have all been pretty shocked at the HIGH price of their coverage. Again, the peace of mind from being properly coverd is close to priceless if you have to TNC.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i did go to metromiles, got a quote for about $40 + .06 p/mi. My last ticket was 2001, no accidents, no claims. My geico is about 85 p/mo full coverage ins $500 deductible on a 2014 outback. my question was just that what does uber pay. if they pay ping to drop off, its a big difference than paying when you're logged in. I probably drive 150 mi of deadhead p/day with the app on when i'm driving back from A/P runs. With my quote thats another $20 p/week with my current strategy and days worked. That still doesn't include my personal miles, so I'm struggling to see where I would save, I figured maybe I missed something. I tried the chat from their site, said they were unavailable.

Thanks for sharing your personal experience though.

i dont see twice but thanks....i appreciate your help.

not surprised that farmer is high, imho they usually are higher than everyone else.

Anyone else with experience? i'm curious if Duvel is the common case (saving) or anomaly.

frndthDuvel

not surprised that farmer is high, imho they usually are higher than everyone else.

Anyone else with experience? i'm curious if Duvel is the common case (saving) or anomaly.
Use the killer search function this place has enter Metromile,farmers,etc and you will get opinions and experiences covering everything you can think of from California drivers. I kept my head in the sand for a month after Metromile came out in February. I then received my Geico renewal notice,with a new condition. It specifically addressed TNC activity. You have not got any mail like that? I had Metromile the next day and wondered wtf I had been so stupid not having it weeks earlier. The difference between driving around knowing my insurance company knows what I am doing is great. As compared to every time getting into the car hoping today was not going to be the day. MM would have been worth a dollar a day OR more for me. Much less cheaper than the Geico was. ymmv

thanks....i really appreciate it....one last question....what was geico saying in their new condition....just that they weren't covering TNC?

I only ask because I got to SD 3 months ago and I had Geico from back in Miami. Since Florida has no legislation governing TNC yet, most places like Miami the water is really murky and they (insurance companies) dont address it directly unless your day comes and you're in an accident.

When I switched from Geico Florida to Geico California they didnt send a warning or condition for me....

I'll definitely use the search today to try and gather more research. Thanks again for your help....sorry for the questions. Not trying to be a @@@@@@, trying to get the lay of the 'Golden State' land :-)

frndthDuvel

thanks....i really appreciate it....one last question....what was geico saying in their new condition....just that they weren't covering TNC?

I only ask because I got to SD 3 months ago and I had Geico from back in Miami. Since Florida has no legislation governing TNC yet, most places like Miami the water is really murky and they (insurance companies) dont address it directly unless your day comes and you're in an accident.

When I switched from Geico Florida to Geico California they didnt send a warning or condition for me....

I'll definitely use the search today to try and gather more research. Thanks again for your help....sorry for the questions. Not trying to be a @@@@@@, trying to get the lay of the 'Golden State' land :smiles:
The notice of the official Policy Change was sent with my renewal notice. It was very specific that if you drove any TNC you were not covered in any way. And likely cancelled when discovered. It made the decision very easy. I had anticipated feeling some relief. I underestimated it though. You have to do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Driving UBER has enough other issues to worry about. Good luck and welcome to San Diego! Please excuse our horrible weather we have been experiencing this summer.

Wow that's super broad....kinda forces my hand if the costs are even close to comparable...i can definitely understand the relief you feel.

That's how I felt driving in SD, knowing the $2K ticket possibility was no longer looming like in Miami.

Thanks for the welcome, and dont worry about the weather, with the exception of last weekend its been ok for me...lol....I know most native San Diegoans are hating the increased humidity but for me its a huge decrease over Miami so I'm still basking in this beautiful paradise.

San Diego Steve

The notice of the official Policy Change was sent with my renewal notice. It was very specific that if you drove any TNC you were not covered in any way. And likely cancelled when discovered. It made the decision very easy. I had anticipated feeling some relief. I underestimated it though. You have to do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Driving UBER has enough other issues to worry about. Good luck and welcome to San Diego! Please excuse our horrible weather we have been experiencing this summer.
Really odd that geico said that, wawaneesa states in their exclusions that only when transporting goods or people for money is no coverage. So, your personal time and period 1 and period 2 is not part of the exclusion of coverage. I have a customer who works for an insurance company and he reviewed my policy and he said I am covered with exception of period 3 with uber. Very intimidating but does not say not allowed to drive for ride share. I don't want to give my personal Id info to metro mile, concerned they might contact my insurance carrier. Any idea if they protect your privacy or you can get a quote on phone without disclosing your ID? My company probably acknowledges ride share and realizes that they are saving money on claims by not being liable with customer in car. Their are a lot of dead head miles so that will clip you hard as well as personal miles. It will be more than standard coverage with my carrier. Period 2 and 3 uber coverage is only half my miles daily while working. Thanks for specifying that metro covers personal and period 1. That would be $5 a day estimate plus personal miles and base monthly rate. I am covered now, so no reason to switch. They might have changed their position. Rockin EZ stated no coverage with wawaneesa. My renewal specified with a person or goods in car being transported. By myself, I am covered. Read your exclusions of coverage and you will know if your covered.
Safe driving everyone!!

frndthDuvel

Really odd that geico said that, wawaneesa states in their exclusions that only when transporting goods or people for money is no coverage. So, your personal time and period 1 and period 2 is not part of the exclusion of coverage. I have a customer who works for an insurance company and he reviewed my policy and he said I am covered with exception of period 3 with uber. Very intimidating but does not say not allowed to drive for ride share. I don't want to give my personal Id info to metro mile, concerned they might contact my insurance carrier. Any idea if they protect your privacy or you can get a quote on phone without disclosing your ID? My company probably acknowledges ride share and realizes that they are saving money on claims by not being liable with customer in car. Their are a lot of dead head miles so that will clip you hard as well as personal miles. It will be more than standard coverage with my carrier. Period 2 and 3 uber coverage is only half my miles daily while working. Thanks for specifying that metro covers personal and period 1. That would be $5 a day estimate plus personal miles and base monthly rate. I am covered now, so no reason to switch. They might have changed their position. Rockin EZ stated no coverage with wawaneesa. My renewal specified with a person or goods in car being transported. By myself, I am covered. Read your exclusions of coverage and you will know if your covered.
Safe driving everyone!!
No insurance company could give you a quote without knowing who you are. As they need to access your driving record right? I doubt they share info ,and if you are not worried about your present insurance, why would you be worried about your insurance company know you were shopping around? You do know that if something happens you have to go to your insurance company first, prior to contacting UBER insurance after your insurance company turns you down right? And then who knows what happens with your insurance company after that. So you drive over 116 deadhead miles a day? That is how many deadhead miles it would take me to pay 5 dollars to MM. What happens if you get in an accident, knocked out and the cops find your phone with the app on and trade dress in the window? All I know is MM has been cheaper than Geico for me for the past 6 months.

just a couple of points...

yeah not hard to log those kind of deadhead miles. i drive airport hard. part of that means i end up in north county a decent bit. on a day where i pull 4 airport trips up there thats already close to 100 deadhead if i dont get lucky and pull a ride headed south. (i try doesnt always work). My saving is that i'm only part time so it doesnt add up.

most insurance companies will quote without personally identifiable info, just so they can get a rate in front of you. They warn you though if you are inaccurate or untruthful the initial rate will jump once they ask for the more identifiable info DL, SSN, VIN

all this being said, I chose to jump to MM. they sent me a q and a email after my quote that between Duvel and the email made me much more comfortable going with them. I played with my numbers and i'm only 3 dollars more than my current geico. and finally i will be able to have complete peace of mind on the road. I didnt have that driving in miami and i'm looking forward to it now.

San Diego Steve

No insurance company could give you a quote without knowing who you are. As they need to access your driving record right? I doubt they share info ,and if you are not worried about your present insurance, why would you be worried about your insurance company know you were shopping around? You do know that if something happens you have to go to your insurance company first, prior to contacting UBER insurance after your insurance company turns you down right? And then who knows what happens with your insurance company after that. So you drive over 116 deadhead miles a day? That is how many deadhead miles it would take me to pay 5 dollars to MM. What happens if you get in an accident, knocked out and the cops find your phone with the app on and trade dress in the window? All I know is MM has been cheaper than Geico for me for the past 6 months.
I read a thread about an accident claim here. He said he contacted uber only and they did not contact his insurance company after he showed them he had comp and collision to get paid during period 2 driving. My insurance company is not responsible clearly for period 2 and 3 driving. Period 1 is not covered for comp and collision with uber so my company will cover it as long as I have no customer in car as stated in provisions of exclusions of liability. Unlike geico, they did not send out a notice that I am not covered for any liability if I rideshare. Ca law on July 1st probably eased up their concerns and they actually have less risk if uber is on the hook now. That is the situation. I am covered and saving money over paying for every personal and period 1 mile driven. That would be around 2,000 per month, $80 month plus the base fee. I pay $80 month for full covereage right now. Geico sucks, checked them out before, your smart to do metro mile but my company is better. If I get cancelled, I'll go to metro mile, no issue on my end. I don't put trade dress up like some of the idiots ride sharing, I fly under the radar until I pick up my customer and then put it up. No ones @@@@ing business what I do for a living and I'm not ride hailing and promoting uber with all the negative shit they throw my way when a jack ass hassles me. I work with all three and keep it on the down low. Safe driving my comrades!!