Yes, it does feel good.

Well I just signed up with Metromile.
2015 car
2 adult drivers
32.86 per month
4.3 cents per mile
500 deductible
250/500k liability

Started immediately with a payment of the first month. Until I get the dongle, miles are free.
Called Geico and cancelled, getting 75 bucks back for the remaining month on my policy.
WOW!!! I do feel like a shadow has passed and I am able to stick my head up. I think it is going to make driving a bit more enjoyable not having to worry about the what if all shift long.

When I cancelled with Geico they were all too happy to do that, but they did say they were working on it for other states.
My advice to all, do it. It feels good. Not much to lose. I had a 300 dollar payment coming up in April to continue, now I onnly have to pay per month. I like that.
I asked metromile about a referral program, LOL , they said they were working on it.
Low deductible, good coverage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I should add that one interesting thing I read in their FAQ section was that they currently do not cover other TNC rides such as Lyft or Sidecar so that means, if I understand it correctly, that you would be paying for the miles while waiting for a Lyft ping but would still not have coverage.

I guess the workaround would be to always keep the Uber app open at the same time as the Lyft app in order to cover your "Period 1" in any case.
I asked the rep about LYFT,and those miles would be addressed as personal miles. So yes you will be paying for miles even when on a Lyft ride, BUT the gap time would be covered. It would seem that Lyft could offer reimbursement of the trip miles to those covered by Metromile to keep their Drivers from paying for the "trip" miles. I would think MetroMile does notwant to cover Lyft because it is not as good for UBER.

Ya, here's the page for Uber drivers with better explanations: https://www.metromile.com/uber?utm_source=external&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=uber-announcement
I'll still look into it as its more legal than trying to make a claim with my current insurance situation, I just worry about Uber's coverage of the driver under their insurance.
POST # 37 / @Moofish : Do "moofish"

hold up signs that read "Eat mor chikin"?
Thank you for the hyperlink to the al-
most Exhaustively Complete FAQs page
at Metromile. Will compare these 'Nicky
Minions to Plymouth Rock when I re-
turn to Boston this Spring.

Meanwhile, Happy St. Patrick's Day from
Marco Island on Florida's Left Coast!

I just got a quote based on my driving record (1 chargeable accident 0 tickets Costa Mesa CA area) selecting a $1000 deductible for coll/comp for a 2014 Dodge Caravan and $50k/100k liability limits. (IMO it is foolish to try to save a few dollars a month to go with the state-mandated 15k/30k minimums.)

$45.57/mo + 6.6 cents per mile up to 150 mi/day. Of course the Uber miles from ping to drop-off would not count.

This could be a great deal for part-timers but it approaches the cost of commercial insurance for us full-timers. Which, btw, it is not. They specifically exclude livery except for Uber. Based on what I've seen I don't think a black car operator looking for cheaper TCP insurance would be able to use this. Feedback appreciated.

Anyway, running the numbers, if I assume max usage the worst case would be 150 chargeable miles per day x 30 days = 4500 miles/mo x 6.6 cents = $297/mo + $45.57 base cost per mo = $342/mo or $4104/yr.

That is still about a grand a year cheaper in my case than the traditional TCP commercial insurance quotes I got, although, again, it would not work in that case IMO.

For part-time work, say 1000 chargeable miles per month, it would be 1000 mi x 6.6 cents = $66 + $45 = $111/mo. Still significantly more than what I would be paying for a traditional personal policy in my case, but well worth the peace of mind knowing that I was in fact properly insured all-around.

It sounds intriguing. I'd be interested to see what else crops up in CA between now and July 1 when AB2293 requirements kick in.
It may work if you only drove for Uber. If you drove for other TNCs it would be too expensive because you would need other coverage.

It may work if you only drove for Uber. If you drove for other TNCs it would be too expensive because you would need other coverage.
You do not need other coverage for other TNC's\. Lyft pays for the trip. The period 1 time as it is with UBER is charged as if they were personal miles. So you are covered whle doing LYFT. BUT one just does not get the trip portion of the LYFT ride deducted from mileage total. Still for me a small price to pay for the knowledge that my insurance company knows what I am doing. So it does not matter whether you have the Uber app on or not, you are paying for those non trip miles no matter what. But on LYFT trips you are paying for those miles as well. So on that typical 4 mile trip for LYFT, you are paying about 17.2 cents more than you would be paying for a 4 mile UBER trip.

Yeah, it does seem to be to good to be true. But I am in and getting happier by the freekin moment. It has been a loong 8 months insurance worry wise. No more! Well at least for now. I think the more folks start cancelling their personal the more impetus for other companies to jump in.

You do not need other coverage for other TNC's\. Lyft pays for the trip. The period 1 time as it is with UBER is charged as if they were personal miles. So you are covered whle doing LYFT. BUT one just does not get the trip portion of the LYFT ride deducted from mileage total. Still for me a small price to pay for the knowledge that my insurance company knows what I am doing. So it does not matter whether you have the Uber app on or not, you are paying for those non trip miles no matter what. But on LYFT trips you are paying for those miles as well. So on that typical 4 mile trip for LYFT, you are paying about 17.2 cents more than you would be paying for a 4 mile UBER trip.

Yeah, it does seem to be to good to be true. But I am in and getting happier by the freekin moment. It has been a loong 8 months insurance worry wise. No more! Well at least for now. I think the more folks start cancelling their personal the more impetus for other companies to jump in.
Ok, thanks. Got it now, Even though you are on Lyft app you are covered through the personal miles. Which is basically the same coverage you get while on Uber.

POST # 37 / @Moofish : Do "moofish"

hold up signs that read "Eat mor chikin"?
Thank you for the hyperlink to the al-
most Exhaustively Complete FAQs page
at Metromile. Will compare these 'Nicky
Minions to Plymouth Rock when I re-
turn to Boston this Spring.

Meanwhile, Happy St. Patrick's Day from
Marco Island on Florida's Left Coast!
Are you a regular at Cheers,
where everyone knows your name

I am feeling so good now(and growing) that I am covered in the gap miles that I said forget it! I am not driving today and am breaking out the beer instead. Plus I am thinking that since I do not have to make a 300 dollar premium payment beginning of April, that gives extra room to have a day of App off. Though I did log 4 hours earlier. Miles are free until you get the device, and I guess you have a few days after that to hook it up. I am surprised at how much I must have supressed the insurance concerns as the need for cash flow was greater than the risk.
Please, everybody go to Metromile and check it out for your own peace of mind. Yes, I must admit it sounds (feels) too good to be true. I think the more people who sign up will only create more pressure on other carriers to get into the game.

I took their max coverage levels (100/300) and $500 deductible. I also went 12k/yr on miles because I drive 40-50 mi to get to the area I work.
I signed up with them today. Keep in mind that they cover yo during the periods that Uber doesn't. They track your total mileage drive, then get the mileage driven from the time you accept a trip, until you drop off the fare directly from Uber, then deduct that from your total mileage. Driving around between trips is charged to you. I was quoted $46.81 monthly base charge and 6.7 cents per mile. I chose 12,000 mi/yr for personal miles, which made my premium $127.21/mo. Farmers quoted my over $1200 per 6 mo.

I posted this in another thread and then found this thread...so here's my first month's experience with Metromile so far! I have 2 cars insured through them (both used for Uber) and today is the ending of my first month's billing cycle. I don't have the 'official' bill for last month yet, but I drove approx 3000 miles last month and my base rate for both cars is $28.28 per month and then .028 cents per mile. Uber miles are deducted from my personal miles each month. I got a rough estimate today and my total bill for both cars last month should be around $80! I was paying a little bit more than that with my personal insurance (Farmer's) before I started with Uber! Not a bad deal! Also, before I discovered Metromile from a fellow Uber driver here on UP.....I was insured with Erie Insurance that offered TNC hybrid insurance and I was paying $129 a month! (And they did not offer Roadside Assistance! Metromile does!) So I'm saving $50 a month off of my former insurance. Also, if I decide to go on vacation, etc....and won't be driving my cars for a good length of time, my insurance will go down significantly. For instance, if I take a month off for vacation to Florida and our cars aren't being driven at all...I only pay $28 for that month! I love it!

• What is the partnership between Uber and Metromile?
Metromile has partnered with Uber in order to help driver partners of Uber's Transportation Network Companies save money on personal auto insurance. Metromile can already tabulate total miles driven. Now, in coordination with Uber, miles driven from accepting a ride request to dropping off a passenger(s) can be distinguished. Traditional auto insurers may not cover livery risks under a personal auto policy. By purchasing a per-mile policy through Metromile, personal insurance coverage includes the timeframe when a driver partner of Uber's TNCs has their app on while looking for a ride request, in addition to their typical personal time.

• In which states does Metromile offer per-mile insurance?
Currently, per-mile insurance is available in California, Oregon, Washington, and Illinois. We are working on making more states available.
  • Does this mean I can get personal insurance from Metromile as an Uber driver partner?
Yes. This new type of policy was designed specifically to give driver partners of Uber's Transportation Network Companies an option for personal auto coverage. Coverage through Metromile is not mandatory; rather, it is an option that may be more cost-effective than purchasing a commercial policy.

I don't have the 'official' bill for last month yet, but I drove approx 3000 miles last month and my base rate for both cars is $28.28 per month and then .028 cents per mile..
Wow, that is a great rate. Is that with Metromiles highest coverages? I thought that was 250/500
My rate which I still dig, is 32.86 per month/4.3 cpm. But I took their highest coverages and 500 deductible. But my car is newer?

• "How much money will I save with per-mile insurance?
On average, our customers are saving up to $500 per year."

Careful investigation is needed whenever companies are not transparent / honest about money.

"On average, savings up to $500 per year" makes no sense. If I average 1, 2 and 6, the answer is exactly 3. It's not "up to 3" or "about 3"; it is 3 exactly. But Metromile does not say what the average saving is. It sounds very similar to "earn up to $1,500/week driving for Uber!"

Maybe Metromile is good for some, but due diligence is required.

Careful investigation is needed whenever companies are not transparent / honest about money.

"On average, savings up to $500 per year" makes no sense. If I average 1, 2 and 6, the answer is exactly 3. It's not "up to 3" or "about 3"; it is 3 exactly. But Metromile does not say what the average saving is. It sounds very similar to "earn up to $1,500/week driving for Uber!"

This rate is only good for 6 months. At six month renewal, they reevaluate charges. Think they will go down?

Still no idea how people are getting such low rates/mile, my quote was 7.8¢ / mile which adds up to being more than I would like.

Even at 20000 chargeable miles a year this beats my rate. Not by 500 of course, perhaps a hundred. But big savings was not why I decided to go with it and see what happens later. Still running on that peace of mind feeling after a week of on the clock. I do think the more Drivers who sign up it can only help pricing going forward. Plus the other insurance companies will surely , are surely watching how Metro is doing. Have you gotten a quote yet?

Either I'm doing something wrong or it's very expensive. I went through their estimator. I ran it as non Uber and it quoted me at 19.22 per month plus 1.6 cents per mile. Comes out to approx 180 per month. More than double what I pay now.

Either I'm doing something wrong or it's very expensive. I went through their estimator. I ran it as non Uber and it quoted me at 19.22 per month plus 1.6 cents per mile. Comes out to approx 180 per month. More than double what I pay now.
Those pennies add up!!

61 - 80 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.