• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Met an old classmate driving Uber

UberBastid

I had to go to Seattle last week for a business meeting. The company that I work for is a legal grower/producer of medical grade marijuana. There is a company in Washington that is doing some interesting work with tissue culture cloning. It is pretty well known that the human body has specific receptors for cannanibids, and this company is working to DNA manipulate to insert 'killer cells' to target some forms of cancer. Real interesting stuff, but a different subject.

I get an Uber at the airport, load the luggage and get in. Confirm name and destination. I get to looking at the back of this guys head, then went to the ap and looked at his name. Yup. It's him.

"Did you go to school in The Bay Area?" says I.
He said he did.
"You went to Dover Jr. High, and Richmond Union High?" says I.
He looked at me hard in the mirror and admitted he did.
"I remember you. You and your friends made my life hell for three years."

Long silence.
He finally said, "We were just kids."
I said, "You were a prik. Are you still?"

"You were the big man on campus. Football hero, girls hanging on your arm, drove a hot car ... you had life made. How's things been since the old days?"
He got all red in the face ... "I beat your ass routinely back then ... need a reminder?"
Oh hell yea ... I said, "There's an empty parking lot right there ... sure, pull over. Lets do the man-dance, just me and you without all your friends. I'm game."
I'm taking my watch off and putting it in my pocket -- he drove by the parking lot.

I said, "Hey, you went by our spot."
He says, "You gotta enter extra stops in your ap."
I said, "@@@@ you, you worthless, brainless piece of shit you."
He says, "I have a cam."
I made a suggestion about where he could put his cam and get a recording of him having sex.

We get there. The guy comes for my luggage and I went to the drivers side window and asked if he wanted to do that parking lot thing still ... I'll order another ride so he can get paid ...
He just mumbled something and hit the gas.

No. I didn't tip.
But I didn't rate.

DMV Driver

Reporting him for what he said should have been all the vindication you needed along with the stability of your current employment.
That by far is so much more satisfying than beating his ass or vice versa.
Remember employers routinely have people's social media researched.
Good luck man and get some help if you are still disturbed by your past. That's a monkey you should have thrown off years ago.

SJCorolla

One of my worst fears about this gig is picking up someone from my past life who once had high regard for me and will recognize me, to their horror, never imagining that I would become an Uber driver. Luckily, it hasn't happened yet.

Soldiering

I drive in the neighborhood I grew up in. I have no shame about driving. If you think less of me I'll pray for you.

UberBastid

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just curious..

How old are you?
I am 64 years old next month.
Yea, my high school years were memorable ... because of him.
Post automatically merged:

Reporting him for what he said should have been all the vindication you needed along with the stability of your current employment.
That by far is so much more satisfying than beating his ass or vice versa.
Remember employers routinely have people's social media researched.
Good luck man and get some help if you are still disturbed by your past. That's a monkey you should have thrown off years ago.
I thought about making some chit up and getting him canned from Uber ... but, I'm not that kind of guy. I don't do sneaky underhanded shit. If I'm going to stab you, I want to look you in the eye when I do it. And, I want you to know why.

OldBay

I am surprised how many white haired, fat faced, old guys who are having anger conniptions and road rage, and just how comical it is. Also surprised they haven't keeled over and had a heart attack.

If you don't work this kind of thing out of your system by the time you're in your 30s, there is something deeply wrong with you.

OFC, I think this was just an entertaining story.

JamesBond008

It depends on what happens but I don't think that matters. I'm 43. Still have occasional nightmares about high school.
I'm sorry that happened to you as a kid. Good to hear you got to tell him about how he made you feel back then. It's good to get those things out.

RabbleRouser

I thought about making some chit up and getting him canned from Uber ... but, I'm not that kind of guy. I don't do sneaky underhanded shit. If I'm going to stab you, I want to look you in the eye when I do it. And, I want you to know why.
Rarely do u see anyone over 40YO in the medical grade marijuana industry or any industry other than Law.
What do u do for your company?

👉Pick fights with the local 70YO fertilizer salesman ??
Slap around the Walmart Greeter?

UberBastid

Rarely do u see anyone over 40YO in the medical grade marijuana industry or any industry other than Law.
What do u do for your company?
I have been in and out of the MJ industry my whole life. I first worked a gurilla grow in Humbolt County when I was 16. I learned how to grow from the OG's, the original growers of the 60's and 70's.

Recently, the old school hippies and potheads have been getting pushed out by the corporations and investors. Problem is that the investors don't know how to grow, and the potheads don't know how to do business. It is a communication problem. It has created a need ... for people who understand both an income/expense report and the mechanics of farming that specific plant.

I have bachelors degrees in business and economics from Cal State, years of experience in the business world in property taxation and commercial real estate, AND years of experience growing the plant and doing business in that industry. It's an unusual mixture - that turns out is in demand.

I manage two large greenhouses. Each contains 5500 sf of canopy. There is a separate 1000 sf building used for cloning and vegging. We use lite dep methods to get five crops per year per greenhouse. I am working now to get that to 5.5 turns per year per greenhouse. We do alternating 'turns' so we are constantly processing cannabis and I can keep my trimming crew busy all the time that way.

I got the lead for this job from an Uber passenger who was an attorney working for the investors. I met him as an airport pickup about a year ago now.
He gave me a phone number, who gave me a name, who put me on the right person; who I took to lunch one day, and the rest is history.

It's hard work. Keeps me awake at night sometimes. The $ at risk is huge. When things go right, I'm a hero. When things go wrong, its my fault - every time. Small mistakes make for large reactions.
But, I love it.

observer

I am surprised how many white haired, fat faced, old guys who are having anger conniptions and road rage, and just how comical it is. Also surprised they haven't keeled over and had a heart attack.

If you don't work this kind of thing out of your system by the time you're in your 30s, there is something deeply wrong with you.

OFC, I think this was just an entertaining story.
What little hair I have left is mostly white, not quite fat faced yet and getting older by the minute.

Think Danny Devito but brown and taller.

I've been slowly turning in to the neighbor next door that yells at kids to get off the lawn.

I recently got in to a wrestling match with a guy half my age...

Maybe therapy is in order.

I have been in and out of the MJ industry my whole life. I first worked a gurilla grow in Humbolt County when I was 16. I learned how to grow from the OG's, the original growers of the 60's and 70's.

Recently, the old school hippies and potheads have been getting pushed out by the corporations and investors. Problem is that the investors don't know how to grow, and the potheads don't know how to do business. It is a communication problem. It has created a need ... for people who understand both an income/expense report and the mechanics of farming that specific plant.

I have bachelors degrees in business and economics from Cal State, years of experience in the business world in property taxation and commercial real estate, AND years of experience growing the plant and doing business in that industry. It's an unusual mixture - that turns out is in demand.

I manage two large greenhouses. Each contains 5500 sf of canopy. There is a separate 1000 sf building used for cloning and vegging. We use lite dep methods to get five crops per year per greenhouse. I am working now to get that to 5.5 turns per year per greenhouse. We do alternating 'turns' so we are constantly processing cannabis and I can keep my trimming crew busy all the time that way.

I got the lead for this job from an Uber passenger who was an attorney working for the investors. I met him as an airport pickup about a year ago now.
He gave me a phone number, who gave me a name, who put me on the right person; who I took to lunch one day, and the rest is history.

It's hard work. Keeps me awake at night sometimes. The $ at risk is huge. When things go right, I'm a hero. When things go wrong, its my fault - every time. Small mistakes make for large reactions.
But, I love it.
Good for you. It's nice to hear about members who have succeeded.

TheDevilisaParttimer

Nearly 40 years is a long time to carry a grudge.

UberBastid

Nearly 40 years is a long time to carry a grudge.
Yes, it is.
But, I don't think I am carrying a grudge.

Definition of grudge is: a persistent feeling of ill will or resentment resulting from a past insult or injury.
I have not had a "persistent" feeling about him. Hadden't even thought of him, till I saw him.
Then - it all came back.
Maybe more like PTSD?

I don't dream about him, I don't imagine destroying him. But, put him in front of me and I clench my fists.
That's not so much a grudge, as just pissed off.

But, the real revenge is that I'd rather be me - than him.

crowuber

I'm torn by this. Knee-jerk reaction is to diss UberBastid for his childish behavior at his age, however, this said bastid has given this community countless humorous posts...so... I'LL ALLOW IT!

UberBastid

I'm torn by this. Knee-jerk reaction is to diss UberBastid for his childish behavior at his age, however, this said bastid has given this community countless humorous posts...so... I'LL ALLOW IT!
Ah, jee ... thanks.
I do appreciate your understanding and forgiveness.

** scratch - scratch **
burp

mrpjfresh

But, the real revenge is that I'd rather be me - than him.
I sounds to me like getting him canned from Uber would have been essentially throwing him a life preserver. Leaving him wallowing in mediocrity and his cowardice at your confrontation seems punishment enough.

I agree with jamesbond. Very cathartic as well to confront the issue and expose him as a fraud as well in the process.