Mental mind set

Seattleuberguy

What's your mental mindset before you start to drive ? Hello everybody wanted to do a post on the mental mind state before we go out and drive, what's your plan? Where are you going to drive? How long are you going to drive for? What do you want to make that day? How much gas are you willing to spend the day? Etc. etc. I know it can be challenging and very daunting if you're picking up two dollar and five dollar trips but the thing that I realized is that those two dollars and five dollar trips can lead you to something else to possibly an airport run or possibly longer trips from there so just believe stay consistent and persistent and most importantly stay positive and patient. You can do this you got this! :-)

touberornottouber

Yes that $3 trip might lead you to a 45+ long trip. But then so too might just staying where you are. Short trips for non-tippers are the kiss of death for earnings. At best you'll "make" $12 an hour. It's basically like running on a hamster wheel -- you will always be running and never getting anywhere. I put "make" in quotes because really you aren't making that but that is your gross revenue, not net profit. You have costs. On short trips ($3 minimum) I figure on average I make about $1 on the trip assuming the customer does not tip (and they usually don't). So for the typical 10-20 minutes from ping to final drop off it is a waste of my time (unless they tip).

How much I work honestly is a combination of how much I need the money and how slow it is. If I'm getting a bunch of $3 rides twice an hour and I don't have major bills to pay then I'm going home.

Seattleuberguy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes that $3 trip might lead you to a 45+ long trip. But then so too might just staying where you are. Short trips for non-tippers are the kiss of death for earnings. At best you'll "make" $12 an hour. It's basically like running on a hamster wheel -- you will always be running and never getting anywhere. I put "make" in quotes because really you aren't making that but that is your gross revenue, not net profit. You have costs. On short trips ($3 minimum) I figure on average I make about $1 on the trip assuming the customer does not tip (and they usually don't). So for the typical 10-20 minutes from ping to final drop off it is a waste of my time (unless they tip).

How much I work honestly is a combination of how much I need the money and how slow it is. If I'm getting a bunch of $3 rides twice an hour and I don't have major bills to pay then I'm going home.
Yes it all comes down to what your needs are. Yes there are the other costs like you said, I agree with that. Like I tell people there’s more then one way to throw a ball .

ZenUber

I like to rehearse in my mind exactly how I would respond to and kick problem pax out of the car. I think it helps to rehearse it ahead of time. That way I don’t hesitate and accidentally let them stay in the car. I think it’s technically referred to as mental rehearsal. It has allowed me to be much more affective in these difficult situations.

NotanEmployee

I like to rehearse in my mind exactly how I would respond to and kick problem pax out of the car. I think it helps to rehearse it ahead of time. That way I don’t hesitate and accidentally let them stay in the car. I think it’s technically referred to as mental rehearsal. It has allowed me to be much more affective in these difficult situations.
Based on this forum i do the same for different scenarios in my head during my off time. Thankfully i havent come across any bad eggs, but nothing sucks more than being caught off guard and doing something stupid. I practice self defense daily; this is no different.

OldBay

I just take em. I dont think confrontation with pax and removing them because they are unprofitable is good for your mental state. Need to go with the flow, aggression leads to driving faster, accidents, tickets, conflict with pax. The mental cost of removing a typical $3.50 pax is too high, just do the trip and let it bring your average down a bit. The difference between 18/hr and 20/hr is not enough for me to worry too much about it.

ALSO, its not entirely clear that a higher cancel rate doesn't impact the algorithm. After doing a couple short mall trips, I usually am rewarded with a meaty trip.

The solution is to drive during busy times where pings are stacked. If you're in a good area there is a chance for good tips. If you are in a bad area, you will prob get consecutive trip bonuses or surge.

If you are cruising around in the burbs at 11am and get only two $3 trips in an hour, you should just give up.

Last edited:

ZenUber

Based on this forum i do the same for different scenarios in my head during my off time. Thankfully i havent come across any bad eggs, but nothing sucks more than being caught off guard and doing something stupid. I practice self defense daily; this is no different.
Yea, I have had some bad experiences. Or even if they are just frustrating experiences. I like to play them over in my mind and imagine how I would do them differently. I can play out different scenarios and decide what I like the best. If I don’t rehearse it, I’m likely to blow up at the next person who does it. If I rehearse it, I can work out a more appropriate response that’s better than knee jerk anger. So far, the only response I’ve rehearsed for a physical threat is to get out of the car because I don’t want a physical confrontation in the car. I’m reconsidering this though, because looking back at the video, I discovered the pax rummaging through my console, and pouring water on my driver seat, while I was out of the car calling the police. I think the best course for me was to stop driving at night in the city, stop taking pool rides, and stop taking people with less than 4.80 stars and people with 5.0 stars because most of them are people who started new accounts after super low ratings. In addition, I’ve realized that most of my problem pax gave warning signs before they even got in the car. So now I just cancel when I see those red flags. So far it’s working very well. Prevention is the best cure.

Reactions: CDP

NotanEmployee

I also carry pepper spray, im not clear if this would violate ubers policy but its not a firearm so im going with it. Hopefully ill never have to use it. I only drive days and mostly tourists so i dont get the typical uber pax thats out to scam, mame, defame, or otherwise screw you. ?

So far my cancellations all revolve around no carseat.