• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

medical emergency

tohunt4me

I accepted a DF trip some time at 5pm thinking of calling it a day. The account holder (the mum) called and told me to reverse my car into the garage since her daughter could not walk. Sure, at first I thought she was handicapped but turned out....

Seeing her daughter (let's call her Sarah) getting dragged due to the inability to even limp, I said 'sorry I think you may need an ambulance'. She then looked at Sarah and said 'Mum is with you OK? The clinic is just 2 miles away'. God this woman was not listening....

Sarah gave no response. Not only was her forehead burning hot, there was also erthyoderma (sunburn-like rash). When her mum confirmed the use of tampons, the first illness that came to my mind was Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS), which is a rare medical emergency associated with the use of tampons.

I wish million times that I was wrong. I told her to call 911 immediately. While waiting for the ambulance, Sarah's pulses were merely detectable so I asked whether there was a sphygmomanometer. Fortunately there is at least an electronic version in the house for her hypertensive husband. With the critically low 84 mmHg systolic pressure, I was 90% confident with my educated guess.

By the time I decided to help removing the tampon, her mum screamed and almost collapsed. A quick check did not reveal any pulse or heart beat. @@@@ It was a matter of dead or alive leaving me no choice but to perform CPR. The hard work paid off after 2 cycles (1 cycle = 100 compressions with 2-3 ventilations for every 30 compressions per min). This is what I learnt from the MBBS programme and likely this is what US doctors do too.

THANK GOD!! Whether it is a miracle or not, thanks Hippocrates (father of modern medicine) for lending me your wisdom and strength!

When I was working on the removal of the tampon, the EMS took over and initiated IV infusion. Wooo completely relieved.

The mum handed me every banknote in her wallet but I respectfully declined. Saving a life means a lot more than $. The thought of going back to study medicine and complete the training remained in my brain the entire day. Yes, I know I am too old to become a student again. Stupid me quitting the MBBS programme which I worked so hard for during my teenage because of something that is beyond my control.

In case some of you wonder why I use the name 'Sarah'. Sarah is always the imaginary female patient in case study files used by the university that I attended (Chris for male patient).
Good Job !

( C.P.R. A.H.A. GUIDELINES HAVE CHANGED )
( WHEN I WAS LAST CERTIFIED IT WAS 20 COMPRESSIONS TO 5 VENTILATIONS)

Disgusted38

I never knew tampons could be so deadly. Who knew?
Been a real risk for years.
Post automatically merged:

I accepted a DF trip some time at 5pm thinking of calling it a day. The account holder (the mum) called and told me to reverse my car into the garage since her daughter could not walk. Sure, at first I thought she was handicapped but turned out....

Seeing her daughter (let's call her Sarah) getting dragged due to the inability to even limp, I said 'sorry I think you may need an ambulance'. She then looked at Sarah and said 'Mum is with you OK? The clinic is just 2 miles away'. God this woman was not listening....

Sarah gave no response. Not only was her forehead burning hot, there was also erthyoderma (sunburn-like rash). When her mum confirmed the use of tampons, the first illness that came to my mind was Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS), which is a rare medical emergency associated with the use of tampons.

I wish million times that I was wrong. I told her to call 911 immediately. While waiting for the ambulance, Sarah's pulses were merely detectable so I asked whether there was a sphygmomanometer. Fortunately there is at least an electronic version in the house for her hypertensive husband. With the critically low 84 mmHg systolic pressure, I was 90% confident with my educated guess.

By the time I decided to help removing the tampon, her mum screamed and almost collapsed. A quick check did not reveal any pulse or heart beat. @@@@ It was a matter of dead or alive leaving me no choice but to perform CPR. The hard work paid off after 2 cycles (1 cycle = 100 compressions with 2-3 ventilations for every 30 compressions per min). This is what I learnt from the MBBS programme and likely this is what US doctors do too.

THANK GOD!! Whether it is a miracle or not, thanks Hippocrates (father of modern medicine) for lending me your wisdom and strength!

When I was working on the removal of the tampon, the EMS took over and initiated IV infusion. Wooo completely relieved.

The mum handed me every banknote in her wallet but I respectfully declined. Saving a life means a lot more than $. The thought of going back to study medicine and complete the training remained in my brain the entire day. Yes, I know I am too old to become a student again. Stupid me quitting the MBBS programme which I worked so hard for during my teenage because of something that is beyond my control.

In case some of you wonder why I use the name 'Sarah'. Sarah is always the imaginary female patient in case study files used by the university that I attended (Chris for male patient).
Great job! And you’re never too old for school!!

KK2929

---------------------------------
Too clarify - Toxic Shock, in relationship to tampons, is caused when a woman FORGETS to take the thing out and I am not talking about one or two days. It take many days. The results are a massive infection that spreads rapidly in the pelvic region and into the blood.
However, IMO, trying to remove the tampon is (a) not going to correct the situation at this point (b) I would think that the walls and area around the tampon are infected and necrotic. Causing extra trauma to the area by trying to remove the tampon may cause damage. In other words, only a doctor should over see this procedure.
This type of event can lead to some serious legal problems for you and Uber/Lyft - I know, who cares about them.
Suppose you had pro-lapsed the vagina canal or Uterus while pulling out the tampon? Or because of infection, ruptured a wall, causing the infection to spread dramatically.
You cannot stabilize her at this point but you can take steps to keep the fever down until help arrives.
Todays world is about lawsuits. Having some knowledge of medical treatment procedures only makes you more vulnerable.
Just be careful.

Been a real risk for years.

Last edited:

SFOspeedracer

I commend you for this. For what it’s worth - You are never ever ever, ever too old to acquire higher learning, the greatest takeaway from knowledge is it is not limited to any number. I was 30 years old taking night classes parttime for my bachelors in the military where I was on duty, surrounded by 20 somethings and 60+ somethings

KK2929

It has been out there for some time.

Some people do survive it. Some die immediately. Some die after a period of time. There are other ways to get it, but, tampons seem to be the most reported cause, of late.
------------------------------
The problem is not the tampon. The problem is leaving it inside too long OR forgetting to take it out for days -- not two or three days but weeks. You ask , how can this happen, easier then you would think, especially if the string travels inside.

JimKE

First of all, GREAT JOB JESSICA! You did us proud!

Second, below is the current recommendation of the American Heart Association for CPR for untrained responders.

It's called "Hands Only CPR" and it is recommended because untrained responders are often afraid to do ventilations (rescue breaths).
They therefore do nothing and the patient dies.

Key points:
  • Press HARD and fast on the middle of the breastbone (sternum) -- enough to depress the chest noticeably
  • Keep your shoulders directly over the patient's sternum and use your weight, not your arm strength.
  • Press @ 100 or more beats per minute - "Stayin' Alive"
  • Allow FULL recoil of the sternum after each compression.

Disgusted38

---------------------------------
Too clarify - Toxic Shock, in relationship to tampons, is caused when a woman FORGETS to take the thing out and I am not talking about one or two days. It take many days. The results are a massive infection that spreads rapidly in the pelvic region and into the blood.
However, IMO, trying to remove the tampon is (a) not going to correct the situation at this point (b) I would think that the walls and area around the tampon are infected and necrotic. Causing extra trauma to the area by trying to remove the tampon may cause damage. In other words, only a doctor should over see this procedure.
This type of event can lead to some serious legal problems for you and Uber/Lyft - I know, who cares about them.
Suppose you had pro-lapsed the vagina canal or Uterus while pulling out the tampon? Or because of infection, ruptured a wall, causing the infection to spread dramatically.
You cannot stabilize her at this point but you can take steps to keep the fever down until help arrives.
Todays world is about lawsuits. Having some knowledge of medical treatment procedures only makes you more vulnerable.
Just be careful.

One thing I agree on, is trying to be heroic in today’s society is very dangerous in our litigious society. Sad, but a fact.

UberKitsa123

I commend you for this. For what it’s worth - You are never ever ever, ever too old to acquire higher learning, the greatest takeaway from knowledge is it is not limited to any number. I was 30 years old taking night classes parttime for my bachelors in the military where I was on duty, surrounded by 20 somethings and 60+ somethings
I agree! You are never too old to follow your dreams! I would rather have an older Doctor like you that thinks quickly and thoroughly than a young doctor that doesn’t give a crap because he/she got their doctorate to please their parents!