• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Master mechanics opinion?

Jay Dean

Is there a possible way to ask (or pay) 5 master mechanics for the true costs involved in rideshare? For let’s say 5 different vehicles? Contributors opinion in a set up explanation? MIT has their analysis and Uber slammed it, is there a way UP can conduct its own research panel on the topic of true costs? I am taking about asking highly trained mechanics that can realistically explain the true costs of doing rideshare? Since Uber laughed at MIT’s study, is it really that hard to find 5 master mechanics to lend or be paid an hour of their time for assessment of parts and labor per hr vs rates accumulated?

Jay Dean

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Which vehicles?

Toyota Prius -
Chevy Malibu -
Honda Accord
Kia Sorento XL 7 Seater
Hyundai Sonata
Not sure, any, I just want to see their take on costs of labor and replacement and how long they think those parts would last and if the rates can keep up etc. Just an idea, I think MIT was onto something with the 3.50hr assesment and backtracked because of a “would be” scenario, I would just like to hear it from the pros mouths what costs are what, I know in my aging car, I’m dumping nothing but money to keep it going, so how much is it really costing nicer cars overall

And how much are we really making, this stems from the continued rate cutes, I just want facts that can back the rate cuts by U/L’s decision

FLKeys

I think there is way too many variables for an accurate number. The best thing you can do is know what it cost you to operate your car. I have been tracking my operating costs on the last 4 vehicles I have owned. 5 Owners can own the same year, make, and model and have completely different costs.

Driving habits is big, poor driving habits can jack up your costs very quickly.
Routine and not so routine maintenance makes a big difference.
Road conditions make a difference.
Geographical variables make a difference.
What do you do while waiting for a ping can make a big difference. (car off, car running, driving, parked)

I'm sure if I thought about it I could name more.

Jay Dean

I think there is way too many variables for an accurate number. The best thing you can do is know what it cost you to operate your car. I have been tracking my operating costs on the last 4 vehicles I have owned. 5 Owners can own the same year, make, and model and have completely different costs.

Driving habits is big, poor driving habits can jack up your costs very quickly.
Routine and not so routine maintenance makes a big difference.
Road conditions make a difference.
Geographical variables make a difference.
What do you do while waiting for a ping can make a big difference. (car off, car running, driving, parked)

I'm sure if I thought about it I could name more.
I honestly would love to see the worst case scenario in wear and tear vs the best, yes it is hard, but can be done, most drivers are driving around looking for a ping, perhaps the pros thoughts on wear and tear can help in that etc. There has to be a more definitive answer in wear and tear then we know by basically just opinion.

Jay Dean

I just had struts ball joints and tie rod ends put on my Nissan versa and the cost w a front end alignment was $600. We are driving rideshare, if you have to figure depreciation or mechanics pay. You have the wrong car or mechanic....
Count all the parts you are also wearing out and factor that in? How much are you making 600 for struts and alignment for now what about the hundreds of other things? Does your mechanic have that answer, mine sure says it’s a losing game with the rates

Jay Dean

That is true, so driving on a prayer? Or should we actually figure what “could” go out and eventually will, and compare that to profit?

VanGuy

I haven't started yet but I've been using the table on ridester for my estimations while I wait for legalization and to decide if this will work for me or not.

Jay Dean

I haven't started yet but I've been using the table on ridester for my estimations while I wait for legalization and to decide if this will work for me or not.
You ain’t legal?

Last edited:

VanGuy

Not sure why. I'm pretty confident we'll get it this time, so I'm doing my homework and learning. Since I've been an active member in several forums in the past, I figured I'd participate here as I learn as well.

Jay Dean

Not sure why. I'm pretty confident we'll get it this time, so I'm doing my homework and learning. Since I've been an active member in several forums in the past, I figured I'd participate here as I learn as well.
Screw it way smarter than me, have at it

jgiun1

I think you also have to factor the quality of parts you're putting back on. I know a driver who went through two sets of wheel bearings in six months. Those cheap China brakes and rotors aren't good either.

Jay Dean

I think you also have to factor the quality of parts you're putting back on. I know a driver who went through two sets of wheel bearings in six months. Those cheap China brakes and rotors aren't good either.
That is true my first Uber status was #bosstatuss no linglong tires by a hot college chick 4 years ago lol, just sayin