Massive Police Blitz

Gilbert_Aus

Saturday, 04:32 30/04/2016

Uber's future in Queensland is uncertain after The Department of Transport & Main Roads (TMR) with the help of Police launched a city-wide crackdown on illegal taxi drivers.

The joint operation begun early on Friday evening and is set to continue into the long weekend. TMR have already issued 36 infringement notices to the value of $932,976.00 but this figure is expected to rise dramatically over the coming week.

Uber have previously reassured their driver's that they will pay the fines. Uber is yet to comment on these latest developments.

Sameshiftdiffday

What happened last night ? I have been told that Transport and Police intercepted many Uber Drivers in Eagle St (opp. Taxi Rank), but was anyone in the forum actually stopped and if so what happened ?
I also got a text this morning quoting Qld Transport as saying that all drivers caught offering taxi services and gets an infringement notice that it doesn't matter who pays, that when they go to renew their DA it will be declined and A 5 year ban put in place - can anyone confirm this ??

Am in Cairns for the weekend so can't go out and see what is happening in Brisbane.

Cheers SSDD

Instyle

TransLink said enforcement of the new laws, passed in parliament last week, started on Friday, two days after new regulations for the taxi industry came into force.

lebrasee007

Saturday, 04:32 30/04/2016

Uber's future in Queensland is uncertain after The Department of Transport & Main Roads (TMR) with the help of Police launched a city-wide crackdown on illegal taxi drivers.

The joint operation begun early on Friday evening and is set to continue into the long weekend. TMR have already issued 36 infringement notices to the value of $932,976.00 but this figure is expected to rise dramatically over the coming week.

Uber have previously reassured their driver's that they will pay the fines. Uber is yet to comment on these latest developments.

+4

eLink">Like · 40 mins

Instyle

NZShaker

Not that I go into the city much, but you always seem to end up there, I managed to stay away from Eagle st and the like so didnt see anything like this.

I guess with about 60% of Uber drivers being taxi drivers we will see an increase in demand for riders as those 60% will now stop driving right? or is it not the Taxi drivers wanting the change but the Taxi council who say they are doing this for the Taxi drivers but they forget to say most of them also drive for Uber.