• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Marginal Neighborhoods

UberBastid

Yes.
It is a risk vs return calculation.
It is my PRIMARY mission to provide for my family and myself. Legally and morally, it is my prime directive.
In most big cities, there is no penalty when a minority gangbanger beats the crap out of an old guy. Everybody hates us (even some older guys). We have no friends out there.
So ... you wearing gang colors, talking that non-english ghetto language, strutting around like you a big man ... no, ride in someone elses car. Not mine. I don't need the $3.65 all that bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

ANTlifebaby

Yes.
It is a risk vs return calculation.
It is my PRIMARY mission to provide for my family and myself. Legally and morally, it is my prime directive.
In most big cities, there is no penalty when a minority gangbanger beats the crap out of an old white guy. Everybody hates us (even some older white guys). We have no friends out there.
So ... you black? Wearing gang colors, talking that non-english ghetto language, strutting around like you a big man ... no, ride in someone elses car. Not mine. I don't need the $3.65 all that bad.
Scared guy, married, and a Trekkie. Set phasers to Stunning!

But honestly, I'm an old married guy too (who works in Chicago and also likes Star Trek) and really, most people are just people trying to go to work. You'll be fine.

The only time I'll readily decline a trip in the hood is if there's a surge nearby that I can make or it's a pool because @@@@ pool.

UberBastid

Scared guy, married, and a Trekkie. Set phasers to Stunning!
Yea, I've heard all that chit before. And, I don't care what you think about me. Really. I don't. I got nothing to prove to you, or to sell you.
I lead MY life the way I think is best. I been doing things my way as an adult for over a half a century, and I've learned a couple of things - some of them the hard way. And, I've learned lessons at the hands of gangbangers, thugs that really didn't care what I thought about them either. So, we've arrived at our version of peace. I leave them alone. I let them prey on each other, and stay out of their way.
With any kind of luck, they'll leave me alone -- and I won't have to spend the last years of my life in prison for defending myself.
I remember my dad telling me once when I was a kid, "It's best not to @@@@ with a old dude - they have less to lose than you."
You lead your life the way you want to, and best of luck to you. I promise I won't ridicule our mock you.

ANTlifebaby

Yea, I've heard all that chit before. And, I don't care what you think about me. Really. I don't. I got nothing to prove to you, or to sell you.
I lead MY life the way I think is best. I been doing things my way as an adult for over a half a century, and I've learned a couple of things - some of them the hard way. And, I've learned lessons at the hands of gangbangers, thugs that really didn't care what I thought about them either. So, we've arrived at our version of peace. I leave them alone. I let them prey on each other, and stay out of their way.
With any kind of luck, they'll leave me alone -- and I won't have to spend the last years of my life in prison for defending myself.
I remember my dad telling me once when I was a kid, "It's best not to @@@@ with a old dude - they have less to lose than you."
You lead your life the way you want to, and best of luck to you. I promise I won't ridicule our mock you.
But are you a Trekkie?

RideshareUSA

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If I happen to pass through those areas or if I'm in destination mode, I have no problem picking up, provided it's not late at night. The exceptions are Pools, Shared rides, low ratings and not real names.

I don't actively seek rides in shady neighborhoods though.
Yes, low ratings (sub 4.7) and/or fake names/single initial are automatic decline in any neighborhood.
In regards to the hood/ghetto, many of my unpleasant trips have originated from there. Additionaly, the overwhelming majority of these trips are a complete waste of my time for being short (under $5) and needless to say, no tip...ever! Yeah they may be going to work, I dont care. Its' called the BUS!
I'm also at work when my app is on and my sole objective is to be as profitable as possible each day. Eliminating these pick ups is essential to that.
How bad of an area are we talking
Well, as a generalization:
High crime ratio
Section 8 dominated
Or lets just say, an area where the non-residents shop for two things in particular.

Juggalo9er

Yes, low ratings (sub 4.7) and/or fake names/single initial are automatic decline in any neighborhood.
In regards to the hood/ghetto, many of my unpleasant trips have originated from there. Additionaly, the overwhelming majority of these trips are a complete waste of my time for being short (under $5) and needless to say, no tip...ever! Yeah they may be going to work, I dont care. Its' called the BUS!
I'm also at work when my app is on and my sole objective is to be as profitable as possible each day. Eliminating these pick ups is essential to that.

Well, as a generalization:
High crime ratio
Section 8 dominated
Or lets just say, an area where the non-residents shop for two things in particular.
I grew up in Flint Michigan.... What's wrong with section 8

mbd

Daylight , no problem... I do few runs just to get going. Always accept pings, don't care about pax ratings
Give a smile, waive hands when pax see you, it relaxes people
Use first name when saying hello
Never had any problem ... and never gotten less than a 5 star
Don't accept small child with no seat, cancel and put don't charge customer
All sub 5 star so from people who don't have money, but act as though they have money neighborhoods

Coachman

I don't normally avoid any areas. But I find that my normal business rarely takes me to those kind of bad areas.

There've been a few times at night when I've turned down streets going to a pickup that made me uncomfortable. Especially if it's a run down poor neighborhood with no street lights. I never canceled on any of those. And fortunately never had a problem.