• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Maps for Driving at Night

UberwithStuber

A get a message on my homescreen that Uber has changed the map display at night to a dark background? It doesn't seem to work! Needless to say, I'm not surprised, but maybe I'm not doing something right...

Attachments

Rooster06

Use Waze. It auto adjusts based on time of day. Also, make sure your phone has auto dimming enabled. Even if auto dimming is enabled, know how to manually adjust it; even with auto dimming, I usually have to manually lower the brightness after driving an hour or two at night. Even one exposure to a bright street lamp can over bright your display, even with auto dimmer, thus making your screen brighter than needed.

On my iPhone, the Uber app changes to the dark background after I accept a ride request. Don't know if it does this because of the way the app is programmed or is due to a bug.

Mikedamirault

I think it's just a slow rollout or they just randomly select what drivers get what map

I remember when Uber first changed the map (from the map with the black car to the map with the blue arrow/triangle)

I first got a message similar to this one about it but never got it, then one day I go online and BAM, there it was, it was short lived though as after a few weeks, it went back to the black car map and I haven't seen the "new" map since

I'm also getting the message for the new nighttime map, but haven't seen any changes

I have the Accessibility Shortcuts set up to my home button's triple click, so I just triple click and tap Invert Colors

UubSaibot

Use Waze. It auto adjusts based on time of day. Also, make sure your phone has auto dimming enabled. Even if auto dimming is enabled, know how to manually adjust it; even with auto dimming, I usually have to manually lower the brightness after driving an hour or two at night. Even one exposure to a bright street lamp can over bright your display, even with auto dimmer, thus making your screen brighter than needed.
Waze has too many intangibles that Google Maps doesn't have. Waze = more $$$ at least my experience.

Oscar Levant

A get a message on my homescreen that Uber has changed the map display at night to a dark background? It doesn't seem to work! Needless to say, I'm not surprised, but maybe I'm not doing something right...
I hope it does work, and I"ve wondered why they didn't do this a long time ago, i sent them an email suggesting this change.

Fredly00

On Android, the Uber app is too bright even on my phone's lowest brightness, I use screen dimmer by Sebastian Morand.

Still waiting on Uber to get night colors for the map.