Manufacturers' mechanical warranties- Kaput on first uber fare?

60000_TaxiFares

Don't know for sure , just asking, but I've been the proud buyer of several Honda extended warranties over the years (before uber et.al.)

The only thing the fine print and requirements the paperwork from Honda dealer asked is 1) does the car have less than 35000 miles on it and less than 3 years old (to qualify to buy warranty) and...

2) Is this vehicle to be used for taxi or livery (uber just a sparkle in some smart(ass) teenagers eye)

I just presumed the underlying factory std warranty was the same, (I might have even read it) as well as similar provisions from Ford Toyota etc.

Sorry if this is answered somewhere else but if relevant , (and your factory warrantie(s) are kaput with your first uber fare), with uber serious about a new 1000000 extra driver goal in the U.S. , I guarantee, the auto companies are gonna come a knockin with their little paupers tin cup collecting VIN's . I don't care if they bribe, employ, former Boston ,NY, Chicago officials, the big 4 WILL win this one.

Never really mattered before because the taxi-livery business was populated by hi-mile fully depreciated Ford Crown Victorias bought at city auction. But now, well... you know...

Curious, thoughts?

CC <-- Cinti Cabbie , or Crazy Cabbie ... opinions differ

5 Star Guy

Don't know for sure , just asking, but I've been the proud buyer of several Honda extended warranties over the years (before uber et.al.)

The only thing the fine print and requirements the paperwork from Honda dealer asked is 1) does the car have less than 35000 miles on it and less than 3 years old (to qualify to buy warranty) and...

2) Is this vehicle to be used for taxi or livery (uber just a sparkle in some smart(ass) teenagers eye)

I just presumed the underlying factory std warranty was the same, (I might have even read it) as well as similar provisions from Ford Toyota etc.

Sorry if this is answered somewhere else but if relevant , (and your factory warrantie(s) are kaput with your first uber fare), with uber serious about a new 1000000 extra driver goal in the U.S. , I guarantee, the auto companies are gonna come a knockin with their little paupers tin cup collecting VIN's . I don't care if they bribe, employ, former Boston ,NY, Chicago officials, the big 4 WILL win this one.

Never really mattered before because the taxi-livery business was populated by hi-mile fully depreciated Ford Crown Victorias bought at city auction. But now, well... you know...

Curious, thoughts?

CC <-- Cinti Cabbie , or Crazy Cabbie ... opinions differ
Super is part-time, taxi and livery is full time. If it said Super or was more specific I'd be concerned. It could add a part-time TNC company if they wanted to. I don't see how it matters since you are paying for the warranty and the repairs, some of these include a deductible like health insurance. No one is putting the mileage on their cars like a taxi or livery and I guess if you are you should get a better job and probably not get the extended warranty. I'd like to see them prove it besides the excessive miles for running your errands and commute to work!

FlDriver

If you take your car for something covered by the warranty, how would the shop know you drive for Uber?

Hint: the shop won't care, because they get paid to do the repair by whatever company handles the warranty.

You said the question was asked when you bought the warranty. What if you had no intention to drive for Uber when you bought the warranty? Uber wasn't doing business in my city when I bought my car.

5 Star Guy

No one ever suggests letting anyone know you are a Super driver. So let them or anyone prove it. Insurance companies can prove it but that's another thread.