• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Manual. Does anybody drive Uber with a Manual vehicle?

Johnnwho

Title.

Feel free to ignore the following as it is just a rant.

I personally do drive using my Manual Mazda3 as I love it, even in the city I have no issues with it, but I don't think my PAX like it. I received a 1 star Safety issue just because I drive one.
I am constantly leaving plenty of space between myself and the vehicles in front of me, I head check all the time when changing lanes, never drive above the speed limit yet today as I was driving someone 12 minutes down the road she decides to have a go at me and 1* me with safety issue just because I drive one.

What annoys me is I actually feel safer personally driving a Manual than an Auto which I have driven in the past. I am only just over 100 trips so ratings like that destroy me since nobody who is happy with the rides bother rating.

Man with a Ute

My truck had a manual and I had many good comments from my pax commenting my driving style changing through the gears was smooth....

I've since changed to an auto...

Fab77

How smooth are your changes?
Are you short shifting or revving out the engine?
Not criticising your driving ability, but I can see how a customer might feel unsafe in this automatic world if a manual is driven how it's supposed to be.

Johnnwho

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My truck had a manual and I had many good comments from my pax commenting my driving style changing through the gears was smooth....

I have had a number of pax surprised and others even really happy about the fact I drive a manaul. This is the first time having somebody complain about it and putting down a safety issue.

How smooth are your changes?
Are you short shifting or revving out the engine?
Not criticising your driving ability, but I can see how a customer might feel unsafe in this automatic world if a manual is driven how it's supposed to be.
I purposefully work the gear stick and clutch in a way that makes it feel as smooth as possible for the passenger (probably shit for the clutch). I drive completely differently when using the vehicle for my own purposes.

The only thing I can think of is the fact that I don't always have two hands on the steering wheel because I have to change gears fairly often.

Johny Bravo

Mate, I've seen some Ants on manuals. Noticed, many of those are girls driving manual, like holden Cruze, Mazda, and so forth. And they alll are doing well.

Don't worry about these Safety reports, these cheapstakes would do everything thing to ruin your rating. Wait for 500 trips, you'll be able to improve it. Make sure you don't pick paxs with rating lower than 4.7 or else you'll find many 1*s and reports.

Johnnwho

Mate, I've seen some Ants on manuals. Noticed, many of those are girls driving manual, like holden Cruze, Mazda, and so forth. And they alll are doing well.

Don't worry about these Safety reports, these cheapstakes would do everything thing to ruin your rating. Wait for 500 trips, you'll be able to improve it. Make sure you don't pick paxs with rating lower than 4.7 or else you'll find many 1*s and reports.
The worst thing was the woman was a 5*. I will be paying much closer attention to * ratings of pax in the future as I haven't been looking too hard at them.

Strategist99

Don't worry about the ratings mate. I have been 1* in the past by someone who booked uber for a friend, and it was a base trip worth around 10$. You just can't figure out what goes in the minds of such pax.

The ratings will eventually get better and uber will not say anything until you have had near 500 rated rides I suppose.

Leroy123

I drive a manual 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer. Great car for the job. Never had a negative comment about the manual and many positive comments.

The manual is a bit of a pain in peakhour stopped traffic where you are riding the clutch in first. Comes into its own in 40k/h areas where I don't go past third.

Avago

My Suzuki SX4 is a manual, 18 months of mainly part time Ubering with a 4.90 rating...
Compact hatch, manual, no mints, no water, AC always on, always showered, wear deodorant, dress appropriately, safe, knowledgable driver. That's all.
Had plenty of comments re the manual, but none if it negative.

Invincible

I have driven Manual all my life, wouldn't drive an auto unless its the last resort, never had any safety report, ever, a couple navigation reports, that's all.

Johnnwho

My Suzuki SX4 is a manual, 18 months of mainly part time Ubering with a 4.90 rating...
Compact hatch, manual, no mints, no water, AC always on, always showered, wear deodorant, dress appropriately, safe, knowledgable driver. That's all.
Had plenty of comments re the manual, but none if it negative.
I do the same except I have water in the doors and I also vacuum the car on a daily basis. I have had 1 navigation issue but that one I understood as the pax kept changing her mind on where she wanted telling me to ignore the gps then complained when I didn't follow the gps.

I drive a manual 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer. Great car for the job. Never had a negative comment about the manual and many positive comments.

The manual is a bit of a pain in peakhour stopped traffic where you are riding the clutch in first. Comes into its own in 40k/h areas where I don't go past third.
I must be the rare person who doesn't mind it even in heavy traffic. In the low speed zones I just put it on cruise control which makes it a breeze.

Damo66

I drive a manual Skoda. Never had a pax complain. It has been a point of conversation for many pax, but they're mostly just surprised/impressed I drive a manual. Have had a few pax comment on my smooth gear changes. I wouldn't be too concerned about one pax rating you down.