MallRat pax may have to improve behavior

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
So part of Ubers 180 days of change means now we drivers have a new feature in our app where we can specifically tell Uber what went wrong on the ride, without endless emails back and forth to support with cut and paste responses. The local news is relaying this to the general population as "you better start behaving in your Uber because your attitude is being documented." I'll wait to see if Uber uses this to start kicking people off the platform. They have so much money now, they don't need people as much. I wonder if Lyft will suddenly get a flood of poorly rated former Uber pax who got kicked off the platform or are just deciding to lay low with Uber for a while because they got too many warnings.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/26/16366104/uber-driver-rider-feedback-rating-pool

This article is exactly how Uber reps hyped up the new feature at the 180 days of changes meeting.

Last edited:

Smashup

Be a pretty bold company that would tell its customers "our service agents think you have an attitude problem".

I could see a company telling its service agents "often time service agents who have problems with customer attitudes might consider X, Y, and Z", or even "Smashup writes an awful lot of attitude problem complaints, maybe Smashup is not the sort of quality driver he led us to believe and maybe Smashup should not be driving for Uber".

wk1102

Be a pretty bold company that would tell its customers "our service agents think you have an attitude problem".

I could see a company telling its service agents "often time service agents who have problems with customer attitudes might consider X, Y, and Z", or even "Smashup writes an awful lot of attitude problem complaints, maybe Smashup is not the sort of quality driver he led us to believe and maybe Smashup should not be driving for Uber".

Imagine getting a phone call from ypur favorite restaurant. We've had servers tell us you could be a better customer, during Sept, you deviated from the menu at least twice, also ask for any condiments when the order is placed.

As much as I lile the idea of letting people know they did something to piss me off. What a silly idea, and I'm not buying it.

K-pax

Imagine getting a phone call from ypur favorite restaurant. We've had servers tell us you could be a better customer, during Sept, you deviated from the menu at least twice, also ask for any condiments when the order is placed.

You physically assaulted the wait staff, propositioned your bartender for prostitution, jumped drunkenly into the kitchen and started throwing hot pans at people, and threw up all over someone’s table... at some point, the customer isn’t wanted in the establishment anymore.

brianboru

As much as I lile the idea of letting people know they did something to piss me off. What a silly idea, and I'm not buying it.

Maybe Uber is going to limit the reasons for not giving a 5 star so we can't give less than a 5 for not tipping. I currently rate non-tippers less than 5 and do not have to provide a reason. If the Uber list doesn't include "no tip" or "other" I would have to give a non-tipper a 5 star.

K-pax

Maybe Uber is going to limit the reasons for not giving a 5 star so we can't give less than a 5 for not tipping. I currently rate non-tippers less than 5 and do not have to provide a reason. If the Uber list doesn't include "no tip" or "other" I would have to give a non-tipper a 5 star.

How do you do that? You don’t know if you got a tip when the rating screen shows up and they have a large window of time to tip after the ride. Esp on ap runs I almost always see the tip show up after a delay. Presumably because they want to get through check-in etc first. I never down rate for not tipping.

wk1102

You physically assaulted the wait staff, propositioned your bartender for prostitution, jumped drunkenly into the kitchen and started throwing hot pans at people, and threw up all over someone’s table... at some point, the customer isn’t wanted in the establishment anymore.

I tip well, it's okay :wink:

These are rather serious issues, requesting a differnt route is not, talking on the phone during a ride is not. I can't remember the other reasons that are there to choose from, it's silly.

Remember This is uber, there is 0 chance that this is simply to improve riders behavior. Nothing has ever been for drivers, it's for uber first, riders second. Always has. Always will. Just look at the DF, one of the big pro driver tools. Yeah that lasted long.

This is to weed out poor rider ratings for stupid reasons.

brianboru

How do you do that? You don’t know if you got a tip when the rating screen shows up and they have a large window of time to tip after the ride. Esp on ap runs I almost always see the tip show up after a delay. Presumably because they want to get through check-in etc first. I never down rate for not tipping.

Easy. I give all pax who don't tip a 4 star or less. Then, if a tip shows up I go back and re-rate them a 5 star. I used to give people the benefit of the doubt and rate everyone 5 star (unless they were problematic) and then down rate later but that is a lot of work and attracts too much attention from Uber so I switched. My rating has actually gone up since I changed my method so my worries that the pax may notice the lower rating were unfounded.

What I would like is to have the ability to send the pax a thank you for the tip as a way to let the pax know the tip was appreciated and to encourage tipping.

heynow321

you can usually tell by stereotyping the customer. millennials? won't tip. someone talks about tipping? won't tip. older wealthy couple that appears grumpy/snobby? won't tip. super chatty person who puts way too much effort in being your "friend" for the 7 minute trip? won't tip.

I'm right probably about 80% of the time. for the times when I'm wrong, i go back and adjust the rating upwards. currently keeping an eye on a line ride last night where some young @@@@ requested i drop her off and take her friend to a different location. she knew line destinations can't be changed so asked if she could leave a good tip for the added service. as of now, no tip yet.

I only "expect" a tip if everything goes well, I don't make any mistakes, and I help with your luggage or otherwise provide some kind of service. If i'm grumpy and don't help with stuff and don't make any effort to ask how their day is or anything like that, i generally don't expect a tip and am not surprised when i get my weekly friendliness flag lol

This is to weed out poor rider ratings for stupid reasons.

I think you're 100% correct. I've been noticing a LOT more sub 4.6 rated passengers lately. the other day in redmond I skipped 6 different requests in a row all with ratings below 4.6.

I'm sure boober is noticing the average passenger rating is falling, some passengers are having to wait longer, etc. so this is their thinly veiled attempt at combating it.

wk1102

Since they changed the rider app, and even more after in app tipping, riders have become very aware of ratings. I think some riders care more about them than us.

When i rate I take their current ratong into account. If they are 4.96 and don't tip I dont them. If they are 4.62 and fine other than tip. I'll give a 5. I also rate 4s and go back and change it if I get a tip. I want there to be a difference between tippers and non tippers. I won't drove 10 minutes to pick up a 4.77, a 4.97, probably.

heynow321

yup, you can see the rider frustration on the reddit boards. remember, this is the generation that somehow finds value in "likes" and "upvotes" and other worthless digital forms of of approval as if any of that shit really matters.

GT500KR

I've ready plenty of Quora stories of bars and restaurants banning bad customers, it's time we followed suit.

Its mostly entitlement, bad attitude, drunken and or abusive with some racial issues thrown in for spice.

X pax pay 1.50 on average, more than it takes to ride the bus, expecting tips from Food stampers is like wishing in one hand and taking a dump in the other, see which one fills up first.

Easy. I give all pax who don't tip a 4 star or less. Then, if a tip shows up I go back and re-rate them a 5 star. I used to give people the benefit of the doubt and rate everyone 5 star (unless they were problematic) and then down rate later but that is a lot of work and attracts too much attention from Uber so I switched. My rating has actually gone up since I changed my method so my worries that the pax may notice the lower rating were unfounded.

What I would like is to have the ability to send the pax a thank you for the tip as a way to let the pax know the tip was appreciated and to encourage tipping.
What are steps to re rate?

you can usually tell by stereotyping the customer. millennials? won't tip. someone talks about tipping? won't tip. older wealthy couple that appears grumpy/snobby? won't tip. super chatty person who puts way too much effort in being your "friend" for the 7 minute trip? won't tip.

I'm right probably about 80% of the time. for the times when I'm wrong, i go back and adjust the rating upwards. currently keeping an eye on a line ride last night where some young **** requested i drop her off and take her friend to a different location. she knew line destinations can't be changed so asked if she could leave a good tip for the added service. as of now, no tip yet.

I only "expect" a tip if everything goes well, I don't make any mistakes, and I help with your luggage or otherwise provide some kind of service. If i'm grumpy and don't help with stuff and don't make any effort to ask how their day is or anything like that, i generally don't expect a tip and am not surprised when i get my weekly friendliness flag lol

I think you're 100% correct. I've been noticing a LOT more sub 4.6 rated passengers lately. the other day in redmond I skipped 6 different requests in a row all with ratings below 4.6.

I'm sure boober is noticing the average passenger rating is falling, some passengers are having to wait longer, etc. so this is their thinly veiled attempt at combating it.
It's the drivers saying, 4 Indians going to Denny's at base X is not a satisfactory experience:wink:

freddieman

I'm right probably about 80% of the time. for the times when I'm wrong, i go back and adjust the rating upwards. currently keeping an eye on a line ride last night where some young **** requested i drop her off and take her friend to a different location. she knew line destinations can't be changed so asked if she could leave a good tip for the added service. as of now, no tip yet.

I do the same stereotyping.

brianboru

What are steps to re rate?

Trip details>Help>Issue with a rider>I want to change my rating for a rider

It will ask for a reason. I put "no tip" or something like "the rider is a ? Star.

Never had a problem. Occasionally they remind me pax are not required to tip but still change the rating.

Sometimes the message is more sympathetic.

For me someone who doesn't tip by definition cannot be a 5 star.

Peter Vann

It would be nice if it required PAX to rate us before moving on to their next ride. I think I'm only rated on 30% of my trips.
I'm actually fine with that. It means they only rate you of they feel strongly about how well you did. Most of my ratings are 5 stars because almost all the riders who rate me do so because they like the experience. But if rating was mandatory we might get more 3-4 ratings for frivolous reasons. If everyone had to rate, I think we'd get more ratings from riders who don't really care and/or don't put much thought into their rating of me.

Does everyone agree that no tip = automatic 4 star rating of rider ? I find that an interesting standard & not sure if I agree or not. Of course I want tips and do my best to earn them. However, most of my riders do NOT tip. Perhaps I would dock them one star if I go above & beyond for them, but they don't tip.

heynow321

I'm actually fine with that. It means they only rate you of they feel strongly about how well you did. Most of my ratings are 5 stars because almost all the riders who rate me do so because they like the experience. But if rating was mandatory we might get more 3-4 ratings for frivolous reasons. If everyone had to rate, I think we'd get more ratings from riders who don't really care and/or don't put much thought into their rating of me.

Does everyone agree that no tip = automatic 4 star rating of rider ? I find that an interesting standard & not sure if I agree or not. Of course I want tips and do my best to earn them. However, most of my riders do NOT tip. Perhaps I would dock them one star if I go above & beyond for them, but they don't tip.

If it's a bullshit short non surge ride than they should be tipping. If it's surged or decently long then I don't really care about a tip

Travis Bickle Uber

Any ride that nets me over $10 I don't care about a tip.

Disagree on the ratings but totally logical. I drive weekends only and have only 1 1* rating in my 10 months. I am a 4.94. It will take me a while to get that one off because of my driving frequency and maybe Friday and Saturday night PAX rate less frequently?

Jamesb918

My last ride tonight turned out to be an uber employee. Everything was going great and we arrived at the first destination. The first group gets out, and a drunk guy hops in (not his uber). Obviously things escalated and that’s when this woman starts screaming that she’s an uber employee and what he’s doing is against rider conduct, and she’ll be calling the police if he doesn’t leave. Things settle down and we get to the final destination. The last thing out of her mouth was, “thank you for everything. I’ll definitely be giving you five stars even though it doesn’t really matter.”