Making female riders feel safe.

LyftUberFuwabolewa

I'm a male, six foot three, and often Drive female passenger is traveling alone in isolated areas or at night. To try and help them feel comfortable I greet them by name and tell them mine and say nice to meet you, and I ask how their day is going but then leave it at that if they don't continue any conversation.

I also avoid using the rearview mirror and use the side view mirrors instead so they don't feel like I'm ogling them.

Also my vehicle has a safety feature where when you hit 20 miles an hour the doors automatically lock. Though sometimes it takes a while to hit 20 miles an hour and also I think the feature isn't working properly and sometimes the doors lock quite a ways into the ride. It seemed kind of rapey to have the doors lock at some point into the ride rather than once the car starts moving so I disabled that feature.

LyftUberFuwabolewa

Most people are aware of self locking doors.

But to really make women writers safe, i recommend this book:

The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr
Yes people are aware of self locking doors but it's just that mine self lock it such random times. It seems like most modern cars lock the doors when you put the vehicle in Drive or once you begin moving. Mine might do it 20 minutes into the ride. I worry that they think I'm doing it manually.

Trafficat

I've had ladies make remarks when my doors auto-lock at 15 mph.

The fact is, if you are a dude, you are scary, and there probably isn't much you can do about it short of a sex change operation.

Even at 5'7" tall, I can give off an incredible creep vibe!

IR12

I'm a male, six foot three, and often Drive female passenger is traveling alone in isolated areas or at night. To try and help them feel comfortable I greet them by name and tell them mine and say nice to meet you, and I ask how their day is going but then leave it at that if they don't continue any conversation.

I also avoid using the rearview mirror and use the side view mirrors instead so they don't feel like I'm ogling them.

Also my vehicle has a safety feature where when you hit 20 miles an hour the doors automatically lock. Though sometimes it takes a while to hit 20 miles an hour and also I think the feature isn't working properly and sometimes the doors lock quite a ways into the ride. It seemed kind of rapey to have the doors lock at some point into the ride rather than once the car starts moving so I disabled that feature.
Yes, it's great safety for women is on everyone's radar.

That being said, I am SICK AND TIRED of pax that catch an attitude if I attempt to verify them before getting in as if my safety is no big deal.

Or, they get in and say, " I haven't had this problem before".

Your safety is important but mines is a "problem". Wtf!

Initial D

That being said, I am SICK AND TIRED of pax that catch an attitude if I attempt to verify them before getting in as if my safety is no big deal.

Yes, I always verify the pax name and mine, their location as well. Pax getting in the wrong car without checking the app does happen often (think of the S. Carolina incident). I've verify the destination to the address with pax before and sometimes they change their minds or realized wrong address.

swathdiver

I'm not a male and don't drive around females. I'm a man and try to be a gentleman while driving ladies and women around. There is a difference folks.

My doors are also set to lock when put into gear and unlock when put into park. I can leave this feature active by just picking up pax while in drive with foot on the brake and manually unlock the doors for them. Since the window tint is dark, I'll drop a window so they can ID me when pulling up. Then they see a harmless lovable fuzzball and they happily climb aboard.

Read your owner's manuals for the lock/unlock options and how to change/disable them.

Christinebitg

I'm with Just1Dreamr on this one. I think you worry too much.

There will always be people who whine about feeling unsafe. Unfortunately, there is a problem that exists in their head. There is nothing you can do to make them feel safer.

I'm not saying that there aren't real threats to women's safety. But you aren't going to affect that, and you aren't going to change their perception of it.

Is it fair? No. But there's nothing you can realistically do about that.

Trying to strike up a conversation with someone who doesn't want one is not the right answer. This is not your problem to fix.

Just read your passenger, and mirror the desired behaviour. If a person doesn't walk to chat, don't try to talk. If the person wants to chatter on and on, go with it.

Christine

Ssgcraig

I don't discriminate, I make all PAX feel safe.

Cdub2k

Nobody can tell how tall you are while you are sitting down in the drivers seat driving a vehicle

TXUbering

Bind them with duct tape (so that they don't hurt themselves) and ***gently*** place them in the trunk. That should put their mind at ease...... Ask them if they want some chloroform so that they can ***gently*** pass out during the commute.

Invisible

This week, I had a woman curse and shout at me when I asked if she was over 18. She looked very young, and I asked her in a polite way. There was no reason for her nasty response.

I learned from this woman to keep my doors locked until I verify I have the correct rider and not a minor. This woman shouted at me and got in my vehicle still cursing. So I asked her to exit my car before the ride started.

She gave me some f bombs and shouted she was going to report me. I asked her to say that again, so I could record it. Nasty woman and scary that she works at a school with her violative behavior.

I did report her to Lyft.

dauction

Bind them with duct tape (so that they don't hurt themselves) and ***gently*** place them in the trunk. That should put their mind at ease...... Ask them if they want some chloroform so that they can ***gently*** pass out during the commute.
Stranger danger stranger danger
Post automatically merged:

On a serious Note ... I grew up the only boy with 3 sisters. So 3 sisters and their girlfriends always around.

I grew up comfortable talking to women and they in turn comfortable with me ... I think all the men on the forum with similar upbringing can vouch for similar experience

TXUbering

Stranger danger stranger danger
Post automatically merged:

On a serious Note ... I grew up the only boy with 3 sisters. So 3 sisters and their girlfriends always around.

I grew up comfortable talking to women and they in turn comfortable with me ... I think all the men on the forum with similar upbringing can vouch for similar experience

I was actually about to say, going out of your way to make the opposite sex "comfortable" is what you'd expect some predator to do. Best way to make them feel comfortable, small banter, treat them like any other fare. I think I'd be a little suspicious of someone was "extra nice" to me.