1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Magnetic phone mount with wireless charging

Discussion in 'Technology' started by MMoore, Dec 6, 2017.

1. MMoore

MMoore Member

I am looking for a phone mount that is magnetic. Strong magnet for an iPhone 8 plus. Phone mount must also be capable of wireless charging. Prefer suction to window. Please recommend with links if possible

2. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

You must not have potholes.

3. Saltyoldman

Saltyoldman Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Best Buy has one made for ubering. I see the ad on here all the time

4. Cableguynoe

Cableguynoe Well-Known Member

Magnetic Mount, WizGear [2 PACK] Universal Air Vent Magnetic Car Mount Phone Holder, for Cell Phones and Mini Tablets with Fast Swift-Snap Technology, With 4 Metal Plates https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G0X56YU/?tag=ubne0c-20

This is the best mount I've ever had.
    holds my iPhone 7 perfectly.
    Plus it's heavier so I would read reviews to see what they say about that one.

Scott Thatcher and Gilby like this.
  5. MMoore

MMoore Member

It doesn’t do wireless charging though.

For potholes some come this a small platform the phone can sit on..

Cableguynoe likes this.

6. DocT

DocT Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    tradedate and tohunt4me like this.
  7. tohunt4me

My potholes are so bad
    The windshield wipers come on from the weight of the lever upon striking the crater.
    I hate fishing phones off the floor while im driving in traffic and a turn is coming up on one of the 3 streets right next to each other . . .

8. MMoore

MMoore Member

This isn’t for Uber although I still Uber maybe 10 hours a week. I haven’t met anyone who makes the $18-25 per hour. Some say perhaps on weekends they may make that much. Was at the airport queue the other day and it dawned on me. These are all former taxi drivers.

DocT and tohunt4me like this.
  9. tohunt4me

A lot of taxi drivers do a 12 hour shift
    Then start uber.

DocT likes this.
  10. Scott Thatcher

Scott Thatcher Member

Driving:
    UberX
    100% agree

11. kc ub'ing!

kc ub'ing! Well-Known Member

Get it together Cableguynoe!

Cableguynoe likes this.
  12. grabby

grabby Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
  13. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    The problem with wireless charging and magnetic mounts is that the steel plate that you need to put on the back of the phone may prevent a proper wireless charge connection. This steel can also become magnetized from being attached to a magnet and if your wireless charging uses magnetic field, which I believe the new ones do, it can interfere with the charge.

I havent personally tried it yet since my navigation device that i uber with is a tablet that is basically permanent on my dash, I havent needed to put a steel plate on the back of my newly acquired LG V30 nor have I attempted wireless charging. Its a novel idea but I like to use my phone as its charging so until they can increase wireless charging range so it charges anytime I'm within 3 feet of the transmitter, it's not a practical technology for my use.

14. MMoore

MMoore Member

Thanks for that info. I can see now where magnetic and wireless charging may not be possible. I do need the wireless charging more and the magnetic is not necessary. I just need a mount that allows me to release my phone with minimal tinkering and effort. Imagine a job where I make multiple stops and have to have my phone when I get out of my car. If I stop 10 times an hour then tinkering with the mount to release the phone 10 times an hour becomes a pain and over an eight hour shift that amount of time and effort adds up.

15. DocT

DocT Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    MMooreMMoore , this is my setup. Magnetic CD-slot phone mount and a magnetic charging cable.

Magnetic phone mount
    Capture Magnetic CD mount.JPG

Magnetic charging cable, connector stays installed into phone port and magnetically connects to mating charging cable port. The opposite end is a standard USB connector that you can fit into a USB charging port adapter (12-volt adapter plug).
    Capture Magnetic charging cord.JPG Capture Magnetic charging cord 2.JPG

16. MMoore

MMoore Member

This would work. A perfect setup would be the charging cable connected to the mount so that removing the phone would be a one step process. As it is, it takes me two steps: first disconnect charging cable from phone and second release phone from mount. I know it sounds petty but if this is done 60 times a day the amount of time and effort adds up. If I have 10 employees that do this, the elimination of one step means they can increase productivity by 20%. Your setup is the best so far. Not perfect but we can’t let the perfect stand in the way of good. This would still increase productivity. Thanks.

By the way, what brand and model numbers. Links would be great too. Thnx