Mafia boss: “Don’t ask questions, just drive.”

Kilroy4303

True story- in the late sixties, prior to my chauffeuring career, I worked as a funeral director for a large mortuary chain in Los Angeles. I was preparing for an evening rosary service and visitation for Frank DeSimone, an attorney rumored to have connections to the Mafia. ( My boss, Frank’s cousin, also a DeSimone, insisted, with a straight face, that there was no such thing.:whistling:) There were lots of floral arrangements, including a large one on which the card read, “Louie and the Boys, Chicago.” It turned out that the deceased Frank DeSimone was the boss of the Los Angeles crime family. His cause of death was natural- a heart attack. He was present at the 1957 meeting of Mafia bosses in America at the Appalachin, New York rural estate of Joseph “Joe the Barber” Barbara. The FBI and other agencies raided the meeting and arrested some of the attendees.

Hey come on what do you take me for. . .Im an honest business man. . .

observer

True story- in the late sixties, prior to my chauffeuring career, I worked as a funeral director for a large mortuary chain in Los Angeles. I was preparing for an evening rosary service and visitation for Frank DeSimone, an attorney rumored to have connections to the Mafia. ( My boss, Frank’s cousin, also a DeSimone, insisted, with a straight face, that there was no such thing.:whistling:) There were lots of floral arrangements, including a large one on which the card read, “Louie and the Boys, Chicago.” It turned out that the deceased Frank DeSimone was the boss of the Los Angeles crime family. His cause of death was natural- a heart attack. He was present at the 1957 meeting of Mafia bosses in America at the Appalachin, New York rural estate of Joseph “Joe the Barber” Barbara. The FBI and other agencies raided the meeting and arrested some of the attendees.
@ariel5466 you thought I was old?? :smiles:
Post automatically merged:

Not old, make that advanced in age.

observer

Paul from Brooklyn told me they only do those things to people who are disloyal. He said they’re all about helping people. No joke. Poor guy seemed like he really believed what he was saying.
Ok since @Older Chauffeur shared his story from back in the day, here's mine and it's kinda related to this post.

Way back in the 80s, 80s not 60s.

My dad had a ranch in Mexico. Some new guys bought a ranch next to us. On the other side of that ranch was a property owned by a descendant of the original hacendados. They were used to getting their own way.

The new guys had a few hundred head of registered Brahman cows. The other guy owned a bunch of cows and bulls of much lesser quality.

One of his bulls kept jumping the fence and finally some of the cowboys lassoed it and castrated it.

The descendant was pissed.

He went over and confronted the new guys.

They told him, listen amigo, if one of your bulls ever jumps the fence on to our property again, we won't castrate the bull.

We'll castrate you.

They were actually really nice people too. They disappeared around the time of the Camarena thing. 🤔

Wildgoose

Sounds like you sent him from point A to point B. Did you receive tips?

Older Chauffeur

@ariel5466 you thought I was old?? :smiles:
Post automatically merged:

Not old, make that advanced in age.
Hey, there’s a reason I call myself “Older Chauffeur.” I drove a limousine for a local mortuary while I was still in high school, sixty years ago. :laugh: I also did private driving for an individual about the same time. Most of my employment going back to those part time jobs has been driving-related.

observer

Hey, there’s a reason I call myself “Older Chauffeur.” I drove a limousine for a local mortuary while I was still in high school, sixty years ago. :laugh: I also did private driving for an individual about the same time. Most of my employment going back to those part time jobs has been driving-related.
@ariel5466 thought I was old because I can remember my parents filling up a grocery cart with 50 bux of food.

:smiles:

Ubercadabra

Names have been changed in this story so I don’t disappear.

I’ll start with some background information. When I first moved to New Jersey, it wasn’t long before a guy who called himself Paul from Brooklyn stopped me in the parking lot of my workplace to welcome me to the area and to tell me who I should meet. He told me several names of people who owned businesses in the area. He said, “When the lights go out, these are the guys with the generators.” (Later I googled some of the names and found several old New York Times articles about their suspected involvement in mob hits, bribing judges, etc.) Then finally he told me the name of an Italian restaurant where the higher-ups meet for dinner every Thursday night. Which takes us to last night, a Thursday.

I don’t usually drive in the evening, but Uber suckered me into it with a quest. If I gave four more rides for the week I’d get a $35 bonus, and that seemed (meh) ok, so out I went after my kids’ bedtime.

After three rides, my fourth and final ping of the night came from “Frankie” at the Italian restaurant that Paul from Brooklyn told me about. I pulled up and saw two men and a woman at the corner. I stopped right behind a Rolls Royce, unlocked my doors, and confirmed the name. One of the men tried to get in the front seat, but I asked him to ride in the back because of the covid regulations. They weren’t excited about cramming three-wide into the back seat of my compact car, but they said they were only going three blocks so they’d do it.

Me (joking): “Is that your Rolls Royce?”

Frankie: “Yeah, I just had a few too many so I’m gonna leave it here for the night.”

Other guy: “Wanna race?”

Me: “Ha ha. Do you guys live around here?”

Frankie: “Don’t ask questions, just drive.”

Me: “Ha ha, ok.”

Me: “How is that restaurant? Sorry, I know that’s another question.”

Frankie: silence

Me, dropping them off: “Ok, nice meeting you guys. Sorry again for the close quarters in the back seat. Have a good night.”

No tip. But I got my $35 quest bonus and went home, and I don’t think I was followed.

I can’t get the Godfather theme song out of my head this morning.

Can’t wait for part 2
🍿

Ubercadabra

Just wondering if I was a mobster,gangster,mafioso etc
I would of just called one of the crew to come & get me or get a cab & remain anonymous
Why would I share my details with rideshare where my whereabouts can be tracked

Last edited: