Made $6,895 dollars last month GROSS ($6,020 pre tax net)

R W

Hello Uber people,

I just wanted to let this forum know that it is possible to make some money Ubering. Need and still need cash to pay some old bills. I am sort of a do it now and worry about it later so I am putting the tax stuff out of my head for the time being to take care of the now. I paid $875 dollars in gas for the month so my NET before taxes was $6,020 (wear and tear on the car might hurt me later)

I worked every day in the month last month. So 31 days of August. Some days I worked 18 hours and others I worked 4 hours to be with family. I researched what events were going to take place in my city and mapped out where they are. I also had ways to avoid traffic during events to get going as fast as you can instead of wait in traffic to pick up a 5 dollar ride.

If it was slow I would go to one of my 20 locations in Charlotte that I use as a (wait spot) where I know i wont wait long at all. The airport I only use once a day unless I go to drop someone off (its where I start my day) you could get lucky and get a 30 dollar or more ride - also you can network the customer and see if they need a ride on a regular. The only problem is waiting in the line....that takes too long.

I basically made around $22 dollars an hour (not great overall, but all we are doing is driving).........I haven't talked about the tips that you may get sometimes.

Im tired but its worth it for the short term.

ShinyAndChrome

Hello Uber people,

I just wanted to let this forum know that it is possible to make some money Ubering. Need and still need cash to pay some old bills. I am sort of a do it now and worry about it later so I am putting the tax stuff out of my head for the time being to take care of the now. I paid $875 dollars in gas for the month so my NET before taxes was $6,020 (wear and tear on the car might hurt me later)
"might"? You drove thousands of miles (10k?). That puts wear on everything in the car, and particularly depreciation. You could run your car through kelly blue book right now and compare what it would be worth with and without those miles on it. Unless it's really old that 10k cost you at least a grand in value right off the top. If your car is newish it might have cost you $2k in value. This is a business, you need to figure out what it actually costs you. "do it now and worry about it later" is not the way to go.

tohunt4me

Hello Uber people,

I worked every day in the month last month. So 31 days of August. Some days I worked 18 hours and others I worked 4 hours to be with family. I researched what events were going to take place in my city and mapped out where they are. I also had ways to avoid traffic during events to get going as fast as you can instead of wait in traffic to pick up a 5 dollar ride.

If it was slow I would go to one of my 20 locations in Charlotte that I use as a (wait spot) where I know i wont wait long at all. The airport I only use once a day unless I go to drop someone off (its where I start my day) you could get lucky and get a 30 dollar or more ride - also you can network the customer and see if they need a ride on a regular. The only problem is waiting in the line....that takes too long.

I basically made around $22 dollars an hour (not great overall, but all we are doing is driving).........I haven't talked about the tips that you may get sometimes.

All you are doing is driving ?
And sacrificing 14-18 hours a day of Your Life for 31 days.
And sacrificing Your Car.

Yet you Devalue Yourself by saying " all we are doing is driving".
That is a Poor attitude.

Actually, it sounds like the UNREALISTIC ATTITUDE OF MANAGEMENT !

" All we are doing is driving".

Please do Not say " We".

bsliv

Hello Uber people,

The quality of life issue is yours to decide. If you needed the short term cash flow, you did good. If you want to determine how well you did, it takes a bit more work.

If you're driving a new Bentley, you probably lost money during the month. If you're driving a car that you determined was worthless last month, you did good.

Do as Mr. Chrome suggests on kbb. Then add in maintenance and repair costs. The total won't look as good. Then there's taxes. You grossed $6895. If you drove 10k miles, subtract $5350 for the IRS standard mileage deduction and you'll only be taxed on $1545. Uncle Sam may want up to $500 for YOUR labor. On the other hand, an hourly employee who grossed $6895 and in the same tax bracket with no mileage deduction would pay $2200 in taxes.

Math is your friend.

kk21912003

Hello Uber people,

First, congratulations. You think you got what you need.

Second, I agree with most of what you said. But you separate your most important conclusion into two sentences which you put at the beginning and the end. Please allow me to put them together:

"I just wanted to let this forum know that it is possible to make some money Ubering BY getting myself tired in a very short time. It's worth if you do not mind or have more important financial needs to meet"

Third, be safe! Any car accident could change your ridesharing career and your attitude to it dramatically

Telsa34

FB_IMG_1504467773327.jpg

Mars Troll Number 4

First, congratulations. You think you got what you need.

Second, I agree with most of what you said. But you separate your most important conclusion into two sentences which you put at the beginning and the end. Please allow me to put them together:

"I just wanted to let this forum know that it is possible to make some money Ubering BY getting myself tired in a very short time. It's worth if you do not mind or have more important financial needs to meet"

Third, be safe! Any car accident could change your ridesharing career and your attitude to it dramatically

It's been known for James River Insurance to under pay out insurance claims.

So if you total your car you might very well end up paying $1000 deductible and being $2,000 less than the cost of repairing your car. Or $5,000+ or even $10,000 or $15,000 short of getting a new car, especially because they CAN under the law pay out based on the number of miles on your car at the time of the accident.

So putting 50,000+ miles a year on your car, you total it and the $10,000 in depreciation goes straight into the toilet. You might not get enough to pay off an auto loan either OR EVEN pay off a lease.

Frustrated!!!!

Hello Uber people,

Dude good job!! Some of these broke drivers are haters and mad that they can't make money. You could buy a 6000 dollar 09 Nissan Altima and these idiots will still talk about wear and tear ,depreciation to your car and other cry baby tactics!!! Do what's best for you and your family.

ShinyAndChrome

Dude good job!! Some of these broke drivers are haters and mad that they can't make money. You could buy a 6000 dollar 09 Nissan Altima and these idiots will still talk about wear and tear ,depreciation to your car and other cry baby tactics!!! Do what's best for you and your family.
This is what a post from somebody who failed highschool math looks like. There is good advice out there but you have to put your pride aside and be willing to take it. If you can find me an 09 Altima that doesn't suffer the effects of driving on its value and condition, I will defer to your wisdom.

bsliv

Since when is determining one's costs a "cry baby tactic"? How can one determine their profit from a business without know their cost to do business? An $6000 '09 Altima will depreciate roughly $0.03 per mile, roughly 1/3 of the cost of gas. That's nearly $300, nothing to cry about but a significant amount none the less. As a car ages, depreciation rates decline but repair costs increase. I estimate a transmission alone would be an additional $0.02 per mile.

I can make $2000 next week. But it would cost me $800 for the flight, $700 for lodging, and $100 for food. Taking costs into account, the trip doesn't look so good.

Hater or realist?

Last edited:

Frustrated!!!!

This is what a post from somebody who failed highschool math looks like. There is good advice out there but you have to put your pride aside and be willing to take it. If you can find me an 09 Altima that doesn't suffer the effects of driving on its value and condition, I will defer to your wisdom.
If you have a car like a Altima that don't even cost alot of money why care about wear and tear making 4 figures a week. As stated it's always the barely breaking even drivers that cry.

Frustrated!!!!

see the post above yours. Your inability to analyze this topic competently does not exempt its importance.
So since your the analytics guy what should he do quit??? Or work part time. Since he's not making money???

Since when is determining one's costs a "cry baby tactic"? How can one determine their profit from a business without know their cost to do business? An $6000 '09 Altima will depreciate roughly $0.03 per mile, roughly 1/3 of the cost of gas. That's nearly $300, nothing to cry about but a significant amount none the less. As a car ages, depreciation rates decline but repair costs increase. I estimate a transmission alone would be an additional $0.02 per mile.

I can make $2000 next week. But it would cost me $800 for the flight, $700 for lodging, and $100 for food. Taking costs into account, the trip doesn't look so good.

Hater or realist?
What are you talking about?? Your post is confusing 2000 then 800 whattttt!!!

bsliv

If you have a car like a Altima that don't even cost alot of money why care about wear and tear making 4 figures a week. As stated it's always the barely breaking even drivers that cry.

$6000 may not be "alot <sic> of money" to you but it is to us crying drivers. What if if not a 8 year old car with 100k on the clock. What if its a 2017 Bentley with 100 miles on the odometer? Would your opinion change? What if the op's car is somewhere between an old Altima and a new Bentley?

The only car that will not depreciate is a car that is worthless or a classic collector car. There hasn't been a car made that doesn't require regular maintenance and occasional repairs. There are some on this forum that believe cars cost $0.535 per mile to operate. Using their numbers, that $6895 gross turns into $1545.

The op shouldn't quit, yet. He should do the math and make his decision based on the result. Guessing is not a smart way to do business.

So since your the analytics guy what should he do quit??? Or work part time. Since he's not making money???

What are you talking about?? Your post is confusing 2000 then 800 whattttt!!!

I'm talking about costs involved to run a business. If I ignored costs, like some suggest, I'd take the trip. But instead of the $2000 profit, it turns into $400 with costs deducted. Clear?

Frustrated!!!!

$6000 may not be "alot <sic> of money" to you but it is to us crying drivers. What if if not a 8 year old car with 100k on the clock. What if its a 2017 Bentley with 100 miles on the odometer? Would your opinion change? What if the op's car is somewhere between an old Altima and a new Bentley?

The only car that will not depreciate is a car that is worthless or a classic collector car. There hasn't been a car made that doesn't require regular maintenance and occasional repairs. There are some on this forum that believe cars cost $0.535 per mile to operate. Using their numbers, that $6895 gross turns into $1545.

The op shouldn't quit, yet. He should do the math and make his decision based on the result. Guessing is not a smart way to do business.

I'm talking about costs involved to run a business. If I ignored costs, like some suggest, I'd take the trip. But instead of the $2000 profit, it turns into $400 with costs deducted. Clear?[/QUOTE

I'm talking about costs involved to run a business. If I ignored costs, like some suggest, I'd take the trip. But instead of the $2000 profit, it turns into $400 with costs deducted. Clear?
how about this how much you average??? Me 1500 Honda Accord oil changes and 2 tires and I feeds my family well

bsliv

Frustrated said, "how about this how much you average??? Me 1500 Honda Accord oil changes and 2 tires and I feeds my family well"

You don't know how much you profit. You know how much you gross. Its a short sighted approach. It takes more than oil changes and 2 tires to keep that Accord running. What happens when the other 2 tires blow? What happens when the @@@@@@ won't engage? What happens when the water/fuel/oil pump goes out? You may not realize it until you try to sell it or repair it, but the costs are there and should be calculated.

I did the math for my driving. I have 2 cars, one gets about 15 mpg the other gets 40 mpg. Who would believe its cheaper to drive the 15 mpg car? Me. The 40 mpg car is fairly new with few miles on it. It takes a huge depreciation hit. The 15 mpg car sucks gas but with 200,000 miles on it, its depreciation rate per mile is nearly nil. I do the maintenance and repairs myself, which saves a lot on costs. Those costs are driving costs.

My costs to drive are too high. At $1.80/mile, I could bring home some change. I thought $1.10/mile was too little and stopped driving. Uber has since lowered it to $0.90. I haven't driven in 18 months. I have lots of free time to drive. I am not math illiterate. I don't drive for rideshare. I can, I'd like to, but its more rewarding to try to explain reality. And it might be more profitable to go fishing for stripers than driving rideshare.

ShinyAndChrome

He's not? Show your work. :smiles: I have a friend who dumps a bunch of time into uber and when I try and explain costs his eyes glaze over. He just isn't interested in figuring out his real costs. Beyond gas it's like he's just incapable of understanding it. That's strange, because he has a couple of degrees and a high-paying job.
I did the math for my driving. I have 2 cars, one gets about 15 mpg the other gets 40 mpg. Who would believe its cheaper to drive the 15 mpg car? Me. The 40 mpg car is fairly new with few miles on it. It takes a huge depreciation hit.
Likewise I have a minivan that gets 21 MPG and a hybrid sedan that gets about 38 MPG and the cost to operate them, by my math, is essentially dead-even on a per-mile basis.

bsliv

So to sum it up. The driver did well. More than most. I can understand the complaints about pay,pax,gas etc.But to be negative about this thread makes me question why some of you even drive at all

If a comet is going to hit the earth in 2 days and I tell you a comet is going to hit the earth in 2 days, am I negative? If yes, then so be it. I prefer to think of it as a realist. Costs are a negative on your balance sheet. Like comets, they don't go away if you ignore them.

Most of us are our own Chief Financial Officer. That's a bean counter. You should know how many blue beans (costs) you give out or will have to give out in order to get the red beans (income) you want.

Congratulations are due for a large short term cash flow. Was it a long term positive cash flow? Probably. But we don't know until costs are included. Posting high incomes is very similar to Uber advertising, "Make up to $XXXX per week." It tends to lure in more drivers that aren't fully aware of the situation. That's not good for the new or existing drivers.

Buddywannarideagain

Hello Uber people,

I suppose this is technically possible averaging 27 rides everyday. I'm in Charlotte. I know it's tough at 60 cents a mile and 11 cents a minute.